iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Blade tension and guide roller downforce?

Started by Leggman, May 30, 2017, 03:11:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leggman

I have dusted off my mill and am trying to get it tuned in.  So I have a few questions. How much blade tension should I have and how much downforce/deflection should there be from my guide rollers.
I will try to load some pics of what I have now.
I am thinking of making a new set of guide rollers in a bigger diameter just to slow them down a bit.
Thanks.  Dave

scrout

My Linn Lumber 190 with 1.25 inch blades recommends 2300 psi from a one inch diameter hydraulic cylinder, with guides mounted 0.25 inches below the level of the band wheels.  I believe you do not need this down spacing if you use guides that have underside support.

Leggman

I have been running with my guides on top of the blade? should I lower them to the bottom of the blade?

Kbeitz

After you have your blade tension then you need 1/4" downforce/deflection from the blade guides.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ox

Just remember you won't get that kind of tension in the blade running tires.  The guys are right with the 1/4" down pressure on the guides.  This is what most of them run, in my understanding.  It's what I run as well.

To set up the mill, I put the blade on, tension to around 2300 lbs on the gauge, then push down the guide rollers to get my 1/4" down, flat, and level on the blade.  This is after the blade is running straight and true on the bandwheels under full tension at around 2300.  Don't know if this is right, wrong, or otherwise but it makes me straight lumber. 
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

gww

Thank You Sponsors!