iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some UP CTL Pics

Started by wannaergo, November 23, 2014, 07:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

Great video  8) 8) 8)  I get the same view but my head is yellow  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Maine372

I have a couple questions.

Why were some of the larger stems already felled?

How did you know where to cut the stem when the head was backwards? (limbing knives pointed towards the stump)

lopet

wannaergo    you've got some pretty good skills for cutting those crotches.  Just sometimes wonder, how money is being made cutting such small diameter stuff with the high cost of this equipment.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Corley5

Quote from: lopet on February 15, 2015, 11:56:00 AM
Just sometimes wonder, how money is being made cutting such small diameter stuff with the high cost of this equipment.

It's all about production.  It's easier to make money with a machine than it is hand cutting.

wannaergo

Quote from: Maine372 on February 15, 2015, 11:25:48 AM

How did you know where to cut the stem when the head was backwards? (limbing knives pointed towards the stump)

My dad and I were spending a couple hours a day running chainsaw to dump over the bigger trees that I can't get the head on easily. Then we cut the butt logs off, and mark the rest of the sawlogs by making small cuts at designated lengths. If I just need an 8 foot log, I can eyeball the lengths by spinning the head and putting the tip of the lead knife 2 feet from the end of the log. I am usually between 8'8" and 9' by doing that.
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

lopet

Quote from: Corley5 on February 15, 2015, 12:03:15 PM
Quote from: lopet on February 15, 2015, 11:56:00 AM
Just sometimes wonder, how money is being made cutting such small diameter stuff with the high cost of this equipment.

It's all about production.  It's easier to make money with a machine than it is hand cutting.

I am aware of that Corley, but just don't think production would be very high with all this small stuff and then it still need to be picked up and forwarded. My point was, it just doesn't look like a money making job, but I agree, it would be even worse hand cutting. All having said that, I could be wrong. ;D 
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

barbender

Those Gopro cameras look fun. I was watching a video where they had one on a falcon's back. I felt like I was flying ;D Unfortunately, I don't think I can get a Gopro past my wife, so I can video me playing in the forwarder in a Northern MN pulpwood harvest ::) Good video, wannaergo ;)
Too many irons in the fire

Corley5

In this kind of timber I can average 5-6 cords an hour and usually run the harvester 4-5 hours a day to keep the old forwarder going all day.  He'll put 16-24 cords on the landing daily depending on the length of skid and how many sorts we've got going.  I like to send out at least 60 cords per week.  More is better obviously but at 60 we're staying ahead of trucking,  producing at a comfortable reasonable speed for the old equipment and doing a few face cords of firewood to clean up the out of spec hardwood.   If all goes well there's $$$ in it  ;) :)

Corley5

Quote from: barbender on February 15, 2015, 02:14:15 PM
Unfortunately, I don't think I can get a Gopro past my wife

That's my problem too  ;D

wannaergo

Corley, if I produced 60 cords a week, cat would be on the job taking their machine back. I gotta get 200 at least! I sometimes wish I could get by on 60
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

Corley5

;)  Having used up machinery has it advantages  :)

lumbertick

Same here we gotta have 350 a week between the 2 crews

Corley5

IF everything goes well 100 cords a week isn't out of the question but I never plan on it  :)  With a newer forwarder higher production would be possible but then that's putting more pressure on my old harvester and adding a payment when my old forwarder is long since paid for.  Then I've got to produce more...  It's a vicious cycle.  I've thought about adding another old TF forwarder like I've got and running it myself a couple days a week but that would take away from playing with firewood and I really don't like running a forwarder anymore  :)  Plus I can almost see the end of this.  In not too many more years I hope to be spending my days in our vineyard/winery  :)

beenthere

Is Zach interested in running an extra forwarder? 

Or maybe you are not interested in Zach running the forwarder? ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Corley5

Zach'll be thirteen in May.  A little young yet.  Neither he nor Zander, who'll be 6 Friday, show much if any interest in logging and that's fine with me  :)  I don't encourage it either :)   
  Zach is interested in the vineyard  8) 8) 8)  But it's a bit too much work for twelve year old.  We'll how the 13yo does this season.

BEEMERS

Keep your eye on the prize Corley5.....eye on the prize.

so il logger

Corley5 that is a fine looking forwarder that you have. I had a skidder that was based on the same chassis. It done just fine so I suspect that your c4d forwarder does as well. The profit is all about what your expenses are, I run a lean crew and that saves me money. But with the right guys it's still profitable. We hand fell and hand buck and still get around 20 to 25 loads a week, Im only paying 2 other guys. I know my production is nothing compared to mechanized but it keeps my family fed and bills paid.

leeroyjd

When AI had my Fabtek I had figured out that if you turn the head around and put the tip of the stationary knife at end of log,reset then run it backwards you could get all the lengths. I think -22" was 8'.  -46" was 10' etc.
Quote from: wannaergo on February 15, 2015, 12:32:17 PM
Quote from: Maine372 on February 15, 2015, 11:25:48 AM

My dad and I were spending a couple hours a day running chainsaw to dump over the bigger trees that I can't get the head on easily. Then we cut the butt logs off, and mark the rest of the sawlogs by making small cuts at designated lengths. If I just need an 8 foot log, I can eyeball the lengths by spinning the head and putting the tip of the lead knife 2 feet from the end of the log. I am usually between 8'8" and 9' by doing that.

1270d

I do the same.  -4'2", -6'2" etc

Ron Scott

Good video of mechanical CTL.
~Ron

wannaergo

Got to do some tree service work today
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

lumberjack48

I was the CTL machine in the 60's. I cut it to the length i wanted, logs and 8' and piled the pulp by hand. The piles had to be 8' apart so that the cat could get between the piles with the Hill Lake knuckle boom dray. I had to also make sure the stumps were cut ground level so the cat or dray wouldn't get hung up. In Aspen i cut and piled 10 cds a day. When i cut pine logs or hardwood logs i liked to get a 100 logs a day. I cut a lot of selective cut pine, in fact more then anything else.
Theres nothing like being out there alone leaning on your measuring stick listening to the sounds in the woods or hearing the echo of your chainsaw. 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Thank You Sponsors!