iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

genealogy.

Started by asy, June 12, 2006, 02:13:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

asy

I've recently become re-interested in Genealogy, thanks to my brother...

He's decided to formalise all the info we have, and I thought "What the heck" I'll do it with him.

Seems we just don't talk often enough, living in different states, it's nice to have a 'project' we're both working on.

Not having been brought up together, it means we're learning lots about each other as we go!

Many years ago, my ex-fatherinlaw and I did a basic history of his family, but I'd never formalised it, I have now got it into the computer and it goes back some 8 generations. Not too bad... 

I've also discovered that aparrently there's a "Tisell family doomsday book" held in Sweden's national library, which documents our family history all the way back to the vikings!!! I've emailed the library to see if they can help me out, since it's a little hard to visit there!!! (Tisell was my birth-mother's maiden name, or "Tiselius" was aparrently the original spelling of the name).

I have my Mum and Dad's history a few generations back, as I did it in high school as a project, but it's at mum's house, she'll bring it for me next visit in about 6 weeks.

I'm using a programme called "The Master Genealogist" but only the trial version, looks like I'm gonna have to buy it, seems pretty good, and it can handle adoptions properly, unlike many of the other programmes I've tried. They've all had heart attacks at my having four different "names" under two "personas". :(

Is anyone else doing their Genealogy, and if so, do you have any tips or favourite sites, especially (for me) in Europe.

Also, is there another programme I should be looking at???

asy :D

Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Ron Wenrich

My uncle used to say that if you do your genealogy that you would find a lot of your ancestors were probably horse thieves.   :D

I had a few cousins on my mom's side do our family tree.  One used some sort of software and the other did it by hand.  The software came out mainly as a tree with little history.  The history shows that I'm a very small part Indian, my great grandfather was a Civil War vet, and my great grandmother was a victim of grave robbers.  Much more interesting.

On my dad's side, his mom did a family tree.  I have also seen some on the Web that had gone back to 1067 in Prussia.  My grandmother was a member of the Daughters of the American Revolution, so I must assume that someone on that side was a Revolutionary war vet. 

Name origins can be tricky in this country.  The old names have been trimmed back to match English expectations.  My wife's maiden name is Hougendobler. That wasw often trimmed back to Hogen or Dobler.  My grandmother's maiden name was Yingst.  Originally it was Jiengst.  The English couldn't figure out that the German "J" is pronounced like a "Y".  Wenrich was probably trimmed back from Weinrichter - wine judge   ;D  A lot of European names go back to the medieval times. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

asy

Yeah, I know what you mean about names...

My maiden name was xxx, I was going to change back after my divorce, but I figured it would confuse the kids, I'll wait for the next change ;)

Mum's maiden name was xxx.

Dad's mum was a xxx

See why I kept xxx?

So easy to spell!

*NOTE*: I've just changed all the names to xxx because I'm having trouble with someone online and this post is in the general forum. I don't have any problem with FF members doing genealogy emailing me to ask for details if you need them. I'm sorry about this...

Radar67

I use a program called "Family Ties" and it does an excellent job. I have one of my lines traced back to 1349. As Ron mentioned, I have learned a lot of things about my family that some members wished I would have left alone.  :D I discovered several Civil War Vets, one of which became the governor of Alabama, even found a Revolutionary War vet (he was on the wrong side though  ;)) At my most distant link, they were advisors/servants of one of the King Henrys, can't remember which right now. I even have one line that splits and becomes a mirror image of another (two brothers married two sisters). I'll see if I can find some info for you of a site for the software. It's sort of old, but still works better than anything else I have seen. It even imports and exports  GEDCOM files. A big plus.

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

crtreedude

Asy... you will be sorry!

About the time Roots was aired - my mom decided this would be a good idea. I told her - Mom, leave dead ancestors alone, you never know what you will find.

But, did she listen to me? No, of course not.

Now we know that we came across to the USA as pirates and highwaymen.

And, we are related to the brother of Henry Morgan, the pirate (he had no children)

Now, this causes me all sorts of grief down here - since my last name is Morgan. A Tico will say "Like Hentry Morgan - right?" Yes - that is right. So, any relationship? You should see the look I get when I admit to it - you see, ole Henry was a very well known terror down here.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

asy

Wow, thanks guys!

Stew, I'll have a look at that software, at the moment, as I said, I'm using the Master Genealogist, but it's annoying me as it's very difficult to merge people, which you need ot do as it's not fuzzy when it imports a gedcom file, it doesn't seem to realise that people are the same person, if that makes sense, so in places I have three copies of the same person, all going in different directions, but it won't let me merge them!!!

It does seem to handle my multiple personality disorder, though...  Although I can't work out how to get it to print my althernate tree... 

Well, did some more research tonight, and discovered three military files, my Grandfather, his father and his uncle. My Grandfather and his uncle were both light horsemen and his father was only in military for a while, then discharged wounded.

Oh, and, Mr Morgan (hehe), I know what you mean, anecdotally (according to my birth mother, unproven as yet) I'm Ned Kelly's 37th cousin. (Heard of him???)

asy

Stew, Thanks for the link, I've actually (now I realise) got a copy of that programme, it doesn't handle adoption well, at all.

Well, it does handle an alternate name, but not an alternate tree branch, if that makes sense.

I think I better think it out again.

UNCLEBUCK

One of my ancestors hunted pheasant for the king of Norway . One was a tailor for the king of Sweden .  The rest were vikings but thats not my fault .

Keep diggin asy ,this is a neat idea .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

Don P

I do like the stories that come up the best, king or pauper. My aunt has been working on ours. I kinda glaze through the who begat who's, but if she has a new story I'm all over it.
One gggg Grandmothers line came over after king James took the fathers head off and killed all the family he could. One brother escaped, he changed his last name a bit when he came over here. We seem to have stayed much better connected after the move.

I think I got just as much pleasure when Grandmom would talk about the old days, kind of gives a personal twist to history that makes a connection.

You mean our family tree is supposed to branch  :-\?

Bro. Noble

Quote from: Don P on June 13, 2006, 06:34:55 AM

You mean our family tree is supposed to branch  :-\?

Our family and my daughter-in-law's family go to three of the same family reunions :o  They are expecting our first grandchile this winter and I've already told them that the other grandpa and I are going to teach the little one to roll it's eyes in opposite directions and say "my folks met at a family reunion" ;D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

UNCLEBUCK

asy

That's funny Noble!!!

I wrote to the National Library in Sweden, and actually got a REPLY!!!

The "Tisell family records" Are in the national library there.

look:

Quotehereby I will inform you that we have a publicattion: Tisellska släktföreningen, Första tisellska släktmötet lördagen 29 juni, 1929. Sthlm:1929. 42 pages. The publication is written in Swedish.
I am sorry to say that we do not lend Swedish publications as Kungl. biblioteket is the National library of Sweden. Please contact our service for copies.

So, I've dutifully emailed their service area to see if they'll give copies.

Legend has it that this book has the family history back beyond the 1000's...   WE'RE VIKINGS!  hehe

I sure wish I'd have known about this book when I was in Stockholm.

Still, I can't wait to hear about whether or not htey'll scan the book for me, since it's only 42 pages, and written in 1929, so copyright should be extinguished by now.

Will let you know.

PS: don't ask me what the quote says, coz I have no idea. I ran it though an online translator, and it said 'saturday'..  :(

TW

The quote says:
The Tisell family organisation, The first Tisell family meeting saturday the 29th of June 1929

"family meeting" should maybe be "reunion" or something like that

The online translator got 14% right ;D Quite good for a computer.

asy

hehe thanks TW!

I'm still waiting to hear from the library to see if they'll copy the book for me...

Onthesauk

Asy,

My Mother visited Sweden several times over a number of years and tracked down a lot of information and relatives.  Then about 15 years ago some of us kids went with her and she took us to the graveyard where my Great Grandfather, on my Father's side,  is buried and drove through the area where my Mother's family originated.  Can't help but be effected by it.

Have stayed in touch with one of the cousins we visited, still email back and forth on a regular basis.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

UNCLEBUCK

asy we could be related  8)  I have alot of relatives in norway and sweden

asy

That would be SO COOL !!!

Then I could call you COUSINBUCK!!!  :D

I'll show a copy of what I have so far, see if you recognise any of the names, when I have it done...

Paschale

I only know about bits and pieces of my genealogy from relatives that have done the work.  I have a pretty complete picture of my paternal grandmother's side of the family.  We're pretty much all Swede-Finns over there, pretty much nothing more than peasant stock.  Though we do have a famous Finnish teacher in the lineage (though through some hanky panky...I think we all have horsethieves in our background, plus more illicit histories too... ::)).   I find it interesting that in that side of the family, there are a BOATLOAD of teachers...I often wonder if certain proclivities/interests etc. are passed down besides our genes.   ???  Could be why I like the forestry forum so much--my ancestors on that side were all timber men, lumberjacks and sawyers. 

On my mom's side, we've traced ourselves all the way back to Charlemagne.  We're descended from King Henry III, so once you hit him, you're all the way back to William the Conqueror and Charlemagne...kinda cool!  We're shirt-tail relatives to Jacques Cartier--there was a brother of his or something, and we've also got some connection to the author Sir Walter Scott.  But all the peasant stuff on my dad's side pretty much knocks that out.  My mom brings the class to the family.   ;D

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Jeff

I think I have the right number of greats here.  This is my Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great, Great grandfather. Bourgon Broucard. The first Brokaw (before we became Brokaw) to come to the USA.

http://www.longislandgenealogy.com/broucard/surnames.htm
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Hey that's cool Puhskolly!!!  So you're Royalty!!!

Does that mean we have to call you "Your Puhskollyness" now?

Jeff, I read the thingy you linked, it's FASCINATING.

Would be very interesting to get a map and see what land he owned back then, and see what's on it now!

Also, I couldn't understand the end bit...

It says it's possible he appeared as a witness at a baptism in 1717, but wouldn't have been more than 20 at the time (which would be interesting in itself!!!) But it says they first have evidence of him at his child's birth in 1665. So he must have been born at least 1650. That would make him 67 at the baptism, which means it's perfectly plausible that the baptised child is his grandchild, even his great grandchild.

Did I read it incorrectly?

ellmoe

Paschale,

Hey Cous... I've got the same lineage. If you hit royalty this geneology stuff is easy. They kept good records and intermarried alot.  ;D In addition to Charlemagne, I found out that Yaroslav, the founder of Kiev, Ukraine was in my "upline". What's cool about this is that I have been to his current abode in Kiev. Didn't even know that I was visiting my great....grandpappy. :D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Jeff

Asy, that said it may have been his son, who could only have been 20 at the time.  :)   

I found my whole tree from me through my Dad and all my grandfathers on back on-line today!

http://www.gbnf.com/genealog2/zzschumacher/html/d0044/I03093.HTM
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

asy

Wow that's COOL!

Just got info from my brother, he found a distant cousin in Sydney, who did some tree-ing a few years ago, and it now goes back to 1643.

PS No royalty yet.

asy

WE NOW HAVE ROYALTY!!!

http://brogren.nu/antavlor/antavlaelisabet.htm

I've put out the request for translation..  But, I believe if you scroll down far enough, this goes back to the line of Swedish Kings back in the 500's. hehe

Don P

Pull up annuder chair at the Sons of Canute lodge  ;D.

We have a few Cornett's around here. Short, muscular, stocky, blond/blue. I happened across their tree while digging up some history. They had anglicized (sp) Canute to Cornett. Now I see vikings every time I see one of them. I might break the news to them one day, thought of doing my best court bow and make em really wonder  :D

Thank You Sponsors!