My cancer journey

Started by Ed_K, July 11, 2016, 07:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Ed_K

newoodguy78, as far as woodpecker lips, when Rita and I were putting in more drop lines and taps we ran into a pileated woodpecker on a downed log having lunch. That's one big bird! It was really nice yesterday and it was 50*, I can't stand wearing gloves and froze my fingers, if I didn't have neuropathy in the fingertips and toes it wouldn't happen. Speaking of neuropathy I tried gabapentin once and it made me fall a sleep so deep that Rita thought I passed and sat with me watching breathe till I woke up, she dumped the script she was so mad. Now I'm taking pregabalin, it seems to work pretty well.
 Thanks all for posting.

Y'all have a great day.
Ed K

thecfarm

gabapentin?
We call that the wonder drug for my wife. She has A LOT of problems with meds. This has been the only thing that has helped her. She got in a bad wreck and they used if for better blood flow to the brain. Ater a time her knees and legs started to feel better, much better in fact.
Just never know what will help or make things worse.
You sure are doing good working outside.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

I know it's tough some days. Keep moving Ed and keep thinking positive vibes.  ffsmiley
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

meds work differently for each individual.  Gabapentin is tough cause it takes weeks to titrate up.  so you keep going looking for effect, and then get to a level that you have side effects, and if no benefit, quit, or push through side effects to get to benefit.  that is why they call it practicing medicine.  when you get it mostly figured, it is time to retire.   :usa:
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Jeff

Gabapenten was the drug they gave me for shoulder nerve pain. It messed my mind up horribly around 2005 or so, it took a couple months to find out why I was having a horrible time.  Currently, the dr. Is reccomending it again for my spine issues. I told them to get lost. Never ever again. BUT,  I have issues with every medicine. You want to know what potential side effects are of something? Give it to Jeff! 

No more. I take aleve or motrin when things get bad, but even those two things have unwanted effects.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

doctorb

The variabilities of a medication's effects and side effects correlate well with the specificity of the drugs actions and indications.  As seen on this thread, gabapentin has been prescribed for different symptoms.  It is sometimes difficult to determine when this drug is indicated and when it should be expected to provide little improvement.  It is often given as a "let's see if this helps because we ain't got much else to give you" medication.  As stated in the shoulder dislocation thread, it takes time to titrate the dose, and the higher the dose the more likely a patient may experience side effects.  Patients seek help, and are willing to try medications that may help them, with the risk of suffering adverse reactions.  Doctors feel like they need to do something, and they feel pressure to actively add a therapy to try and make patients better.  From my point of view, gabapentin rarely definitively solved a problem or symptom, but it did make some patients tolerate their pain better.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

thecfarm

Jeff, that's how my wife is with side effects most times. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

doc henderson

The placebo effect is real.  people who believe a medication will work, are more likely to have a positive result.  If you are anti-medication or have bad experiences, you are more likely to have a poor experience.  that is why medication studies have a control group.  the new med has to have better results than the so-called sugar pills.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

As I found out on here in another topic, I totally missed the mark about Gabapentin.  I was taking it episodically and thanks to our two Doctors, there was no surprise that it was not giving me any relief regarding the shooting pain in my foot.  I doubt that I will take it anymore because I do not want to become dependent on any medication until I simply can not do without it.  For now, I will just suck it up and keep on keeping on.

My apology to Ed_K for this slight detour from this topic's intent.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

as we all know if an engine does not have spark, you can rebuild the carbonator as many times as you like, and it still will not run.  proper dx. is the key, and it is not always easy.

Magicman

And if you put the proper fingers on the proper keys, it will type what you intend rather than what you typed.   ffsmiley   :thumbsup:

Just more "dx" for the "carbonator".  ffcheesy   ffcheesy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

I said proper dx. is important, proper spellin not so much.  I thought that is how you said it in MS.   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
my great uncle Bill said he needed to get his Cadillac worked on (by an eye doctor) and had problems with his rotator cups in his shoulder.

Magicman

You don't even want me to tell how stuff is pronounced in MS, plus Jeff would   smiley_thumbsdown   smiley_thumbsdown

All in fun my friend....all in fun.  ffsmiley

doc henderson

taken as such, and right back at ya.  I am not trying to say I spelled carburetor that way on purpose but after you pointed it out, I kinda liked it that way better.  ffcool

In fact, I think I misspelled it and chose the wrong suggestion by the computer!

Ed_K

I use the computer a lot for spelling. I thought it was always right, Doc now your scaring me ffcheesy .
 MM you don't need to apologize for for the off thread, I started it when I read about gabapentin on the shoulder thread.
 I have been on pregabalin for a while now and it has some weird side effects, but it's working. The side effects 1 it makes me happy and 2 it has this weird thing if I sit quite I get hallucinations where my brain see thing's and my hand's try to do them. It's like stuff you try when your young and just joined the service   ffcheesy ffcheesy :wacky.
 The Doctor's have a name for this, stage 1 Cytokine Release Syndrome or ( CRS )  ffcheesy ffcheesy ,I know what ya'all are thinkin.
 But it's working, my thumb is waking up and my feet have more feeling now and the shocking pain down my right leg is a lot less painfull.

Y'all have a great day ffcool.
Ed K

Ed_K

Thing's are looking up, between pregabalin and acupuncture the foot and hand pain is tolerable so much so that my L4-L5 missing disk is paining me more. The surgeon that looked at it awhile ago won't operate on the disk, till my light chains are down to normal or almost normal.

Y'all have a great day  ffcool.
Ed K

chet

Ed you Rita have a great day too!   ffcool
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Ed_K

Ed K

Bricklayer51

Well everyone this is this post i never wanted to post went tues for chemo after a long talk with my doc  check my labs decided   to stop the chemo and live whats left
.of my life iam going to still post this best i can having a lot of problems its been a joy  being  part of this group hoping things stay well for you Ed breaks my       heart every time we lose a vet                                         especially a vietnam vet take care 

Magicman

My Prayers are with you my Special Friend, and I wish you the best as you continue this unfortunate journey.

chet

Bricklayer51 I am so sad to hear this, and totally respect your decision to quit da chemo. Judy and I also wish you and yours the very best possible, during these trying times.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

beenthere

Prayers to you and "bite down hard on that silver bullet". Those old movies when the doc was going to operate with no pain killer. Bite the bullet!!
Bricklayers have a way of "laying one brick at a time" ? Take it one day at a time, and enjoy the moments.

Thank you for your forestry forum friendship and hope you can enjoy every moment you can find.

You have our utmost respect.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Andries

Bricklayer1, my upmost respect to you for your endurance and bravery, in the face of unbeatable odds. 
You are a fine example of living the few final chapters with grace and dignity. 
May your days be filled with fond memories of days gone by.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

dougtrr2

Bricklayer1, can't imagine the turmoil you and yours must be going through.  One thing to consider.  If you are considering hospice care, bring them in NOW.  Hospice is there to help your family as much as you.  
Godspeed.

Doug in SW IA

Thank You Sponsors!