iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Wireless network Connection

Started by SwampDonkey, December 04, 2007, 07:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

I've tried the MS Wizard and the Toshiba Assist Wizard, but I can't seem to get a Wireless connection working. I have a built-in wireless network card on my laptop and it is turned on. I want to connect to my Mobile 2005 device, it has a Wireless network card built in also.

Tried everything possible. Does anyone use a Pocket PC Mobile device with a wireless connection. Do I need a router or something. Nothing I read in the setup programs mentions anything about one. I want the laptop to be the server computer to use it's internet connection.

When I used a Wired LAN on Win 98 life was simpler.  ::) Too late in the day to figure it out now.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jeff

You have to have a wireless router. The devices connect to the router to form the network.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Ok thanks. It would help if the literature would be more forthcoming.  ::)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

Well I have an ad-hoc computer to computer connection established through a wireless connection. But I think I need a LAN connection or a cross over cable. I know the PS3 can be connected to a computer with a cross over cable in the LAN port to access the computer modem.

Anyway, I have my modem shared on the laptop, but the Pocket PC does not seem to be able to find the modem. It is connected wirelessly with the laptop, but can't access the internet. I'll keep tinkering away. ;D

With an ad-hoc connection you don't need a router apparently. There is an article on MS site that tells you how to share an Ethernet Broadband Connection without a router on your wireless network. Haven't found much on sharing dialup, except for accessing a PS3.

cheers

Wireless Connections

Toshiba Assist - Connectivity Doctor

SwampDonkey

Well I was digging a bit more into the PDA manual and there seems to be no other way to access internet without a HUB/Router. You can have network access to files and folders and such on the network with a crossover cable. Well I don't need that, I have a USB connector to the laptop that also allows synchronization. So no need for a wireless connection at home. Gonna try the wireless LAN connection with hotspots next time I go to town.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well here I am. I was successull in connecting wirelessly without a router using my laptop's dial-up connection. I am using an adhoc connection and I'm firewalled.

Not that it would get any better (tiny screens on these things) but I was curios if there is a link for moile devices to the forum. Internet Exporer on mobile already does as good a job as can be expected in fitting (scaling) thr pictures and text. Sure ain't nothing like a 14" laptop screen however.  ;D

cheers!

Now to  setup my other computer, which I'm not so certain will connect adhoc.