iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Uh-oh Log too heavy?

Started by Qweaver, August 04, 2010, 09:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bandmill Bandit

Hi Qweaver

Big logs are the most fun to cut but they can be a pain to get into cutting position.

I have and LT40 HD28G and have opened more then a few logs with the help of my chain saw. Who ever said you cant do a 42 inch log on an LT40? It was a 12 footer of pine and I dont think it had a 1/2 inch of taper.

As far as using own timber, I charge same price as it costs me to land timber in my yard bucked to length and ready to saw. Right now that would be running close to $50 ish a metric ton.

Also you need to consider availability of the product you are producing for your client. If he can get get any where then you have a competion market that will set the price for you. If you are the only guy he can get it from then you kinda have the ACE hand and can charge what you need to to make sure you make a fair profit and he gets a good quality product. $45 and hour is pretty low in my market. Most of the sawyers I know localy charge from 50 to 60 on the low side and up to a 100 an hour.

I start at 65 and go up from there depending on what I am supplying. 65 is me and the mill after a $300 set up and move charge paid in cash when I inspect the site before I move the mill. Blades are billed as used. The clock starts ticking when the band hits the first log. If the timber is good, I will go to a $/bf charge only if i can cut more $/hour by bf than at the 65 and hour rate.
add $15 for a helper
add 40 for a bobcat or 250 a day
thats for logs ready to saw
for log prep i charge 100 and hour (includes bobcat)

thats just my system but i dont end up with too many jobs that cost me money and I always leave a happy client behind even if it cost him a bit more than the next guy, but then my competion localy is a D&L Double Cut, if you call that competion.

technicly he cuts more an hour but at the end of the week my lumber pile is a bit biggar, saw dust pile half the size of his and I have spent a lot less time and money on maitaince and repairs.

My client gets the better deal, nicer lumber and a whole lot less cleanup to deal with. I charge more but in the end the value is better to the client.

That D&L can cover 2 acres with saw dust knee deep in about 4 hours. that might be a bit of a stretch, but I bet it, close. lol

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

woodhick

Quint, I think you are really! shortchanging yourself on the logs.  I had a guy call me last week about a large poplar that fell in a storm.  Asked me if I wanted it that I could have it for free just come and pick it up.  I already have quite a bit of poplar laying in the log yard that I cant seem to sell.   I went and loaded up his log.   Got three 10' logs, two were 24" on the tip @ 250 bd ft each and the other was smaller and scaled at 200 bd ft.  Butt log was clean but a lot more discoloration in the heart than usual on a poplar, other two logs were pretty knotty.  Sold the three of them for $225.50.  Now I know some are going to say I should have sawed them and sold the lumber but I normally charge $.25 to saw.  If I had sawn them I would have gotten 700' maybe some more with overrun but that figures out to $315.    Just around here it almost better to sell the log than to cut the lumber.   A good grade log would bring a lot more than these three did.  I had a guy call a few weeks back wanting some 1" RW siding out of pine or poplar.  I gave him a price of $450 per thousand and he told me he could get it for $325 per thous. somewhere else about 30 miles away.  At  $325 minus my rate ($250)  that leaves $75 for my logs.  I'll sell them for .30 to .60 a foot and not have to saw them first.   Again this applies to another post about what people are charging.  Rates change a great amount just a few miles apart.  Anyway good luck, and let me know how the 110 handles them.  I would love to have on of them.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

captain_crunch

Guess I always seem to have different problems my loader will easly lift a 27 ft X5ft (little end) Doug fir

I need a smaller loader for what I do But the HD-11is here and don't owe me anything ::) ::)
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

MartyParsons

Wow, That HD 11 looks like it could pick up the log and the mill and more.
The Wood-Mizer mills are rated for 4400 lbs. I have sawed some big logs and burried the legs in the ground. The LT28 will saw 31.5 " from the bed rail. You have about 10 " above the blade.  Gosh be carefull!
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

carykong

In my case,if a log exceeds the limits of my FEL(35 hp New Holland) I skid the log parallel to the mill and then roll the log up a wooden ramp onto my cutting bed. You can see my logmoving on youtube. Search "TC-35 and woodmizer and carykong." Also, have considered but never taken the time to cut a trench about 25 inches deep that I could place my logmill in for particulary large logs. With the mill in the trench no lifting is necessary.

Thank You Sponsors!