iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Memorial weekend/Vietnam Vet

Started by jdtuttle, May 25, 2012, 07:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdtuttle

This may be a long post ;)
12 years ago my brother posted a request on a web site asking if there was anyone that served with my brother Bobby. We didn't hear anything until last weekend. Don (The Vet that served with my brother) recently found the post and contacted the local VFW commander, who put him in touch with us. Don is a police officer in Minneapolis - Saint Paul and an avid motorcycle rider. He is pulling a bike trailer to DC to ride in the Rolling Thunder Rally.
QuoteRolling Thunder is an annual motorcycle rally that is held in Washington, DC during the Memorial Day weekend to call for the government's recognition and protection of Prisoners of War (POWs) and those Missing in Action (MIAs). The tribute to American war heroes started out in 1988 with 2,500 participants. Now approximately 900,000 participants and spectators are involved with this annual demonstration in Washington, DC. Rolling Thunder celebrates its 25th anniversary this year with expanded programming.
So Yesterday We met with Don & his girlfriend Lori. My brothers Bill, (also a Vietnam Vet), John, Rick, My sister Connie & myself. We went to Bobby's grave together and that was a powerful experience. Then we stopped at Bills house and talked for a long time. Don was with Bobby during the firefight Bobby was killed in. He told us how they were ambushed while crossing a canal. Bobby was the squad leader & was safely across. The next guys were hit in the canal & Bobby went back & pulled a wounded guy to safety & that's when he was hit & killed. I always thought the guy Bobby went back for was also killed but found out from Don he survived. That in itself made me feel that Bobby's death wasn't in vain. I know there are a lot of Vietnam Vets on this site & God Bless You. It took Don 45 years to finally meet His lost Buddy's family. We are all so grateful for the opportunity to meet Don and to finally really learn & understand some of the unknown facts about Bobby's death. If any of you guys are thinking about this I hope you can offer help to other families that lost loved ones. There were over 58,000 casualties in Vietnam & that means over 58,000 families lost loved ones. I'm still sorting out my feelings about meeting Don, but one thing is for certain. I am forever grateful to him for contacting and meeting us. I'm going to talk with the rest of my family & believe we'll adopt Don into our family.
Here is the add we posted 12 years ago in the VAA locater;
Looking for anyone who fought with Robert Douglas, Co. E, 3rd Bn., 7th Inf., 199th Light Inf. Bde. He was KIA on November 14, 1967, while crossing a canal near Binh Chanh. He went back into the canal to help a wounded squad member when he was shot.
Sorry for the long post. Please remember our lost Fathers, Sons, Brothers & Sisters this Memorial Weekend.
Jim
Have a great day

fishpharmer

Jim, thanks for sharing that story.  The brave service given by our military vets should never be forgotten.  Thank you for the reminder.  smiley_applause
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

bedway

Jim, I salute you and your brother both. I served from 69-71 but never saw any action. I lost several dear friends in that war. Many who saw combat still have a tuff time talking of it.

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thurlow

Cover Them Over

Cover them over with beautiful flowers;
Deck them with garlands, those brothers of ours;
Lying so silent by night and by day
Sleeping the years of their manhood away;
Years they had marked for the joys of the brave;
Years they must waste in the sloth of the grave;
All the bright laurels that promised to bloom
Fell to the earth when they went to the tomb.
Give them the meed they have won in the past;
Give them the honours their merits forecast;
Give them the chaplets they won in the strife;
Give them the laurels they lost with their life.
Cover them over--yes, cover them over--
Parent, and husband, and brother, and lover;
Crown in your heart these dead heroes of ours,
And cover them over with beautiful flowers.

~Will Carleton
Here's to us and those like us; DanG few of us left!

Patty

My heartfelt thanks to those who served.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

RIP Bobby.

Thanks Jim, glad to hear you got to meet Don.

gspren

Thats quite a touching story, I'm glad you now better understand the circumstances of your (our) brothers death. I put (our) in because since I am also a Viet Nam Vet Bobby IS also my brother.
Gary
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Clam77

Glad you were able to make contact and get some answers JD. 

I know of several people that served in Vietnam, my father included, and there's several of those that still can't talk about what they saw. 
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

Okay here's a story .Nate the guy pictured in this link I'll put on was a foward recon in Viet Nam .He found this old bird he flew in plus his pilot and was instrumental in getting it for static display at a veterans park .

I worked with Nate for over twenty years until he retired .Great guy ,woodsman too boot .

The bird was named Tiz for his wife  of whom I've met .Great lady too .http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/11/09/vietnam-vet-salvages-helicopter-he-flew-in.html

Chuck White

Great post you made Jim!

I will be riding in the Russell parade tomorrow with my son and a couple of my brothers and a few other local veterans.

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!