iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sthil 441

Started by WV Sawmiller, June 22, 2019, 07:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV Sawmiller

Well, I picked up my 441 chainsaw today after about a week at the dealer. Turns out the carb & Control unit (EFI?) was bad to the tune of a $230 part. When I got home I fired it up to cut about a 20" ash and found they had not tested it. The chain was too loose and out of line to cut and when I took the cover off I found the washer and little C-clip holding the ring sprocket on there was missing. I got it back together and cinched it down tight with the cover nuts but that is not adequate to keep the sprocket in place and chain in line so I will have to call them Monday and let them know. Either they took it apart and left those parts off when they reassembled it or they were already lost but it shows they did not try it on a test log or they'd have found that. I guess they just cranked it and revved it up a couple of times and figured everything was good.

I asked what caused the EFI unit to fail and the rep just says "It just happens sometimes". I know that but I was wondering what I could do to prevent  a recurrence. Its about 3 years old and has not had an excessive amount of use and never been abused. He said that was first one he had had to fail. 
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Old Greenhorn

I think you need to keep your eyes open for a shop that has a better tech.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WV Sawmiller

Or one with a better supervisor training and checking the average tech's work. I always blame the manager more than the worker bee because he sets the expectations for the shop.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!