iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hat with a brim and sun screen

Started by Banjo picker, February 12, 2018, 08:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

I have spent a most of my working life working outside in the sun with either a hard hat or a base ball cap on my head.  To top that off I almost never wore sun screen so tomorrow I have surgery scheduled to remove a basal cell carcinoma from the side of my left cheek.  They will be using the Mohs surgery technique.  They remove the affected area layer at a time until there is no more cancer.  Hope they get it all tomorrow.  I am going to be getting some broad brim hats to wear and using sun screen. ;)  Better late than never I guess.  I am finding out I am not 10 feet tall and bullet proof.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

dgdrls

Good luck Banjo,  when you're set
go get yourself a real nice Full Brim Cowboy hat, smiley_thumbsup

sandhills

trapper

Hope they get it all.  I had to learn the hard way also.  3 small  removals on forehead and ears.  The easiest to cure if caught in time.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Chuck White

Wishing you well, Banjo!   ;)

I'll be sporting a straw hat and sunscreen too!   :)

Lot's of us have taken to many chances through life!   ::)

AND, that sun is a lot hotter now than it was when we were kids!   :P
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

47sawdust

I had the same procedure on my arm a few years back.The surgeon did a masterful job and got it all.I have annual visits to my dermatologist to monitor keratoma's.She sells a sunscreen product ELTA/MD very heavy duty.
I'm much more aware of head and arm protection now.

Cowboy style straw hat or a hat made by Koolibar,long sleeve shirt almost always.Probably not comfortable in your area tho.

Best of luck to you.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

florida

Banjo,

Down here in south Florida your dermatologist is your best friend. I've worked outside, mostly in shorts and tee shirts but for years with no shirt at all. I have regular 6-month visits with the dermatologist where I strip naked while he examines every square inch of my body and I mean every! He freezes the small stuff, slices the basal cells and goes deep and large for the rare squamous cells. However, when I bragged to him about always wearing long sleeves and a hat he told me the skin cancers I'm getting now come from the exposure I got in my teens and twenties. While he a is a big proponent of hats, long sleeves and pants, and sunblock, in general, he says I won't live long enough to get skin cancers from exposure now. That horse has left the barn sadly.
General contractor and carpenter for 50 years.
Retired now!

WV Sawmiller

Good luck to you. I had a spot on my head and doctors kept saying no problem. I got tired of it and went to dermatologist who immediately said "I don't like the look of that one" which is never good to hear. He removed it and one off my back I could not see. Both were skin cancer. I was working projects in Afghanistan so on my next trip home he took another 1/2" margin around both and I have been back every year for check ups with no return for the last 7 or 8 years now. He does freeze off annoying skin tags and sliced off a mole I should have removed 40 years ago if I'd known was that simple.

I pray they caught yours early enough. As said above when caught early is an easy fix. I do wear a hat everywhere now and LS shirts. I probably should be more attentive to the sun screen use.

The annual trip to the dermatologist is always a confidence builder when he gives you the all clear. Don't put it if you have anything remotely suspicious.

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Banjo picker

Got to the dr. office in Florence Al. at 7:30, its now 10:30 and we are on the way home.   Super nice people and i never felt a thing.  They had to go back in a second time to get it all.  They seemed quick and efficient.  Sowed it up from the inside so no sitches to take out.  Caled me in an antibiotic as a precaution which i will take. 

He told me about what Florida had said .This was started 30 years ago.  I have worn mostly long sleeve shirts for quite a while and will augment them with a brimmed had and sun screen anyway.

I saw another acquaintance in there getting about the same treatment.   It might be good if you younger folks would do some checking into the dangers. 

Thanks for the well wishes.   Compression bandage has to stay on 48 hours and i am off work for a week. Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Stephen Alford

Wishing you all the best my friend. Great thing about a wide brimmed hat is they cut down on black flies. Those above the rim tend to stay above the rim.. not smart enough to fly out down and in. Any reduction in those critters is a blessing.  Wide brims also help you hear a little better as they capture sound making hearing easier.  That all pales in comparison to just how dang handsome a lad is with one on yer head...win/win   
logon

51cub

I believe in the hereafter, because every time I take two steps into the tool crib to get something I wonder " what did I come in here after"

If nothing else I'm always a good last resort or the guy to hold up as a bad example

Banjo picker

My scar is healing up pretty good.  It did hurt like the dickens that first night.  I took the 10 day round of Keflex and that seemingly didn't set too well as now I broke out in a rash and hives over a pretty good area.  I am not totally sold on the idea that the keflex was the culprit.  I stopped taking my blood pressure and clostorial meds as well.  Neither are high dosage.  When the rash easies up I will start back with the blood pressure medicine and see if the rash stays away.  I am not too hip on taking the statins anyway for the closterial.  All I know for sure is I sure am itching.  Banjo 

Magicman

Tim, I was on the road and missed this.  Especially during the Summer I wear one of these:  Straw Pith Helmet

The white one turns the Sun's heat and the headband allows better air circulation.  I wear one of the solid ones (also shown) while bushhogging.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

Sorry you had trouble,but all sounds good.
I wonder if the antibiotics reacted with the meds you was taking?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

I think I just about got it whipped, not nearly as bad as it was.  After several days without the blood pressure meds. my reading was 128 over 69 and thats better than it has been taking the meds.  Banjo

pineywoods

Banjo, I am on the same antibiotic after I tore the end off a finger. Had itching like crazy, minimal rash. It cleared up after a week, was a bit afraid to stop the meds. Fingers are highly susceptible to infections, which frequently results in loss of the digit.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Banjo picker

Piney I read where you had injured your finger. Sorry to hear about that, and sorry you had the problem with the Keflex, I am glad that I had finished my round of the antibiotic before the breaking out and itching started or I probably would have stopped taking it.  I had never went through anything like that as to itching.  I won't take that drug again.  I still have a rash in several places but not so bad that I can't deal with it.  I was like you, I started to post some pictures, but figured I had already showed enough of my blood on this site when I made the post about "nearly went to the show room" a few years ago.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!