iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Breaking Blades

Started by ncsawyer, March 05, 2016, 10:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandsawmill14

this is what mine does when the blade breaks

sometimes they are kinked up worse when they wad up in the corner of guard instead of coming out the dust pipe :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

Kbeitz

I'll try to get a picture next time one breaks. One end sometimes sticks in the wood but
my blade so far has stayed in the box cover.
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

ncsawyer

Two more of the blades from that same box broke at the weld today. So far I have used 5 blades out of the box and 4 have broken at the weld.  I am going to go back and look at the only one that didn't break and look at the weld and see if it shows any signs of weakness.  I would hate to send it off to get sharpened only to get it back and it break on me.

My B57 belts have some damage from the 4 broken bands in a row and I have two new ones, but I sure don't want to put new belts on and only saw for an hour with new belts and have one of those bands break and ruin my new $44 worth of new belts.
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

4x4American

I got some 9° .045 blades to try out from WM and with it they sent an instruction sheet on how to property return blades that broke at the weld. 
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

ncsawyer call and tell them they should make them up with no problems :)
i broke 7 out of 16 last week but this has been an ongoing problem they had with a new employee grinding the weld to thin and they moved him and said the new box i just got should be good :)

4x4American

They didn't make up for my B57's! 
Boy, back in my day..

ncsawyer

Quote from: sandsawmill14 on March 12, 2016, 10:35:23 PM
ncsawyer call and tell them they should make them up with no problems :)

Yes they will replace the broken ones.  I just have to send the broken ones back.  I am going to wait until I have used that whole box, so I can send all the broken ones back at one time.  I'll probably have to buy a box of new blades to use while all those broken ones are being shipped and replaced.

Quote from: 4x4American on March 12, 2016, 10:34:06 PM
I got some 9° .045 blades to try out from WM and with it they sent an instruction sheet on how to property return blades that broke at the weld. 

I was wondering how I was going to get them sent back....can you post the instructions?
2015 Wood-Mizer LT40DD35
Woodmaster 718 planer
Ford 445 Skip Loader

sandsawmill14

the belts are "normal wear and tear dude" ::)   :D :D :D

4x4American

Yea yea... ::) ...was hoping to get more than 10 min out of em  :D   oh well..I'll let that ship sail.

This is the best pic I can get of it. 

Boy, back in my day..

4x4American

Pretty much cut it on each side of the weld 12" and cut out the ID tag.  Put it in cardboard with the teeth facing in the most sensible direction, tape it, and ship it.  It doesn't say though if you do this for each blade, or if you can put multiple blades together like this. 
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

4x4 it does suck that they wont help on the belts the last 3 weeks ive had to change twice and the broken blades are whats doing it >:( i have broke 19 or 20 out of 40 blades :o

4x4American

Good grief!  I am hanging on to my weld broken blades until they fix the problem, otherwise I'm just gonna have to open an account at Napa lol
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

our blades are not welded at the same factory im sure but mine assured me they have the problem fixed. guess i will know by the end of this week if this doggone rain ever moves east :-\ :) :) :)

4x4American

Just wear your floaties to the mill why don't ya?  lol

The ford cast for this week is rain mon-fri.  Gonna be a fun week swimming in the clay  ::)
Pulled two female deer ticks off me today, hopefully the rain this week will warsh em away.

Hope you get dried out soon.
Boy, back in my day..

sandsawmill14

thanks but if what we have is moving to the northeast you guys better get ready for swimming :o :)

Thank You Sponsors!