iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hydro-Ax 411B

Started by lynde37avery, October 09, 2016, 04:12:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynde37avery

I'm looking into a 1985 411b hydro ax. anyone know how much they weigh? I'm having trouble finding specs on them. it has a shear head on it. I think it has 23.1x26 tires. 453 detroit. thanks!

Detroit WHAT?

Ox

A 1991 411B shows to be around 35,000 lbs.  Must be very similar in weight.
K.I.S.S. - Keep It Simple Stupid
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

lynde37avery

I might have found it. 23,000 lb range. 35000lb sounds a bit high.  it's not very big.  about the size of a small bucket loader.
I wonder if anyone uses one on here? advice etc?
Detroit WHAT?

BargeMonkey

I had a 511B with a shear and quick coupler for a limited period of time, had a 453 and 28Ls on it. From what I know they where a rugged machine but your going to be over a few times before you get real good with it. I've owned 2 buncher with shear heads and they are ok for clearing work, your limited on size and you ruin the 1st ft of wood alot of times if your cutting good stuff. Depends how cheap you can buy it, I see alot of decent wheeled bunchers for low money.

lopet

Member Gary_C used to have a 311B if I am not mistaken. I too would guess it in the 24-26000 lbs range. ( Not knowing anything about it )
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

Gary_C

Yes, I did have a 311B with a quick attach and both a shear and bar saw head.  I never used the shear head but it did look similar to the one in the picture. It had 23.1 tires and weighed somewhere in that 23-28,000 lb range.

Like any fixed head machine (no head rotation) they are easy to flop over but not easily damaged if you do the side flop. They do work best on level ground and you need to come up on a tree with the tree aligned vertically in the head or you cannot grip the tree properly. Maybe not as important with a shear head as with a bar saw head.

Can't tell you a lot more because I never cut with the shear head. The shear should work good for smaller stuff and clearing but they will shatter/splinter the stems.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ox

Hmmm.  I wonder why that sale place had the one I saw at so high in the weight?  It's around 5 tons off!  Maybe they just didn't know and wanted to err on the side of caution for anyone wanting to trailer it. 
1989 GMC 3500 4x4 diesel dump and plow truck, 1964 Oliver 1600 Industrial with Parsons loader and backhoe, 1986 Zetor 5211, Cat's Claw sharpener, single tooth setter, homemade Linn Lumber 1900 style mill, old tools

Logger RK

I'v had a 311a for around 10 years now. It's been a good machine. It has the 16 inch Hydro Ax High Speed Pocket Head on it. I put a new 353 in it this last spring & new hydro pumps. I did increase Hyd oil flow 40%. It really increased production. Never weighted mine,but I'm pretty sure it's weighs less then 20,000 lb's.

lynde37avery

I also went and tested a 511b. it's a little bigger.  cummins 6cyl. 28lx26 rubber. 20" cutting blade.
Detroit WHAT?

BargeMonkey

Quote from: lynde37avery on October 16, 2016, 09:33:39 AM
I also went and tested a 511b. it's a little bigger.  cummins 6cyl. 28lx26 rubber. 20" cutting blade.
Just over the border in NY ? That's a good machine for the money and a good guy to deal with.

lynde37avery

no the 511b is in NH. pretty sure that's the one to buy.  going to test it out again.
Detroit WHAT?

timberlinetree

Good luck looking! That will be handy to have!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

lynde37avery

I got the 511b
needs a little tlc but sure runs good
i got my dad and nephew in the picture.

Detroit WHAT?

Ox

Cool!  Looks like she's been used but not abused.  Pictures can be good liars.  What does she need?

lynde37avery

needs ebrake fixed. one door is off it needs hinges. dash gauges. fuel shut off switch.  a few metal covers. tire chains.
Detroit WHAT?

chevytaHOE5674

Is that a hot saw head or a shear?

lynde37avery

shear head. huge power too.
Detroit WHAT?

chevytaHOE5674

You guys must have a market for sheared wood? Up here unless you buck off the shatter nobody wants it.

brianJ

@OX   If each of the tires are loaded that would get you most of hte way there to five tons.    Perhaps some wheel weights?

Thank You Sponsors!