iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

It ranges from Missouri in the West down to Texas and across to the Eastern Seaboard up to about Pennsylvania and New Jersey.  Not a flatlander per se.  One last clue, the fruit is a pome, albeit a small one.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

WDH

Yes Sir!!

Malus angustifolia.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

I'll throw out another that should be relatively easy for many.  I need to replenish my tree of the day folder with new tree pics.  The VT app did not help me much with the crab apple.  

This particular tree usually has a lot denser foliage this time of the year.

Caveman

caveman

This one evidently provided nightmares for a lotta you based on the lack of participation.  I almost did not post this tree.
Caveman

lxskllr

Does it have a lot of streets named after it?

DelawhereJoe

Nightmare on _ _ _ street...... oh no...what could it possibly be

WDH

I was feeling a little crabby yesterday but today I elm felling much better :).  

Southside will surely call it ash ;D. 

Texas Ranger

Vase form, could it be?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

Yesterday's tree was American Elm (Ulmus americana).  Today's tree is not technically a tree but some may recognize it.  Tom and Nomad have sawn them into boards.  I have eaten the heart from it several times (swamp cabbage), usually at Thanksgiving lunch.  The leaves have been used for roofs and the stems have been used for dock pilings.
It can grow to 80' tall.

I'll add and better picture later but this one shows the leaf which will help you differentiate it from others that are similar.
Caveman

caveman

Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Don't get it confused with the armory.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

caveman

Here is one that has lost most of the old leaf remnants (bootjacks).  This is also the state tree for two U.S. states.
Caveman

WV Sawmiller

I'd like a good mess of swamp cabbage. You cut too far up on the bud and it gets tougher and more bitter from the quinine which was supposed to be one of the reasons the Seminole Indians did not have problems with malaria as it was part of their staple diet. My grandma added a little sugar to compensate but we liked a little of the bitter after we got used to it. We always considered the ideal size to cut as about waist high and cut them off at ground level. The heart in one that size would be as big as one 100' tall.

My favorite way to cook it was dice up a couple strips of bacon and fry them to season and grease the pan then add the swamp cabbage and cook till tender. It was typically served with grits at any central Fla fish fry. Often the fish served was fresh mullet from the Gulf. (I guess this should be in the food category not tree ID)

Warning to the uninitiated - it can also be one of the world's greatest natural laxatives.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

caveman

Today's tree is a Cabbage Palm (Sabal palmetto).  Tomorrow's will be something that is not native to the U.S. but there are a lot of them here.  I do not know yet if it will be a conifer or a hardwood with bipinnately compound leaves.
Caveman

caveman

Saturday's tree of the day...

This last picture is of one leaf.  I have seen pictures of some WDH has sawn.  It is invasive here.
Caveman

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

Ian was right on with Chinaberry (Melia azedarach).  
Caveman

WDH

What the wood looks like.

doc henderson

Danny, it looks like gatorwood.  I can see the nose pointing down, mouth open, the tiny eye ball then hips and a long tail. in the center of the board.?   :o :o :o   :)  sorry too early in the am.  how is your thumb?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

DelawhereJoe

Thats not a gator....is MagicMans foot.

WDH

Not the thumb but the little finger on the left hand.  Healing up nicely. 

DanG

I used chinaberry flowers to try and stump Swamp Donkey in a thread called "Stump the Donkey" way back in 2005. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

caveman

Dang, thanks for the flower pictures.  Were you able to stump the SwampDonkey with that one?  Tomorrow's tree will likely be another import.
Caveman

caveman

Today's tree is not an import.  Many will be able to handle it.

Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!