iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

caveman

I was going to guess a swamp white oak or swamp chestnut oak based on the leaf shape and the bark.  Thank you for posting the pictures.
Swamp white oak pictured below. 
Caveman

barbender

When you southern fellas start naming off oaks, it reminds me of Forrest's friend Bubba talking shrimp😂 In my area, we have 3 oaks- Northern red, Northern pin, and Bur. Sub-arctic temperatures helps to keep a lot of things simple for us😁
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Here's another unusual local. 

Close up of the leaves

And another. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Quote from: barbender on August 09, 2019, 01:23:02 AM
When you southern fellas start naming off oaks, it reminds me of Forrest's friend Bubba talking shrimp😂 In my area, we have 3 oaks- Northern red, Northern pin, and Bur. Sub-arctic temperatures helps to keep a lot of things simple for us😁
You think that's bad, I looked up the Maori name for the tree I just posted. Turns out it has about 20 different names, depending on where it grew, what you used it for, or what part of it you ate. 
Lil has her own name for it, but it's not very polite. As a kid she had to pick up the fallen leaves of the one outside her parents house so they could mow the lawn...  smiley_furious   :D
The leaves can be used to make rope, so they aren't very lawnmower friendly. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

caveman

I am guessing an Australian could use it to make cord or line.  Thanks for posting.  I think I have seen some of these growing along our coast but I had no idea what they were.

Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodpecker52

I remember a Bur Oak on the campus of Ms. State I recall the acorns were the size of golf balls massive.!!
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Woodpecker52

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

LeeB

Looks kinda like a yucca. Is it related?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

firefighter ontheside

Does its name sound like something you could make a salad with?
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on August 09, 2019, 09:32:36 AM
Does its name sound like something you could make a salad with?
Can't think of any tree that rhymes with "buffalo chicken".... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

DelawhereJoe

WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

LeeB

Quote from: Southside on August 09, 2019, 11:13:04 AMCan't think of any tree that rhymes with "buffalo chicken".... 

Are you sure your name ain't Gonzo?  :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Ianab

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on August 09, 2019, 01:04:40 PM
Cabbage tree
Yup, that's it's common name, because the leaf bud can cooked and eaten, and tastes a bit like cabbage. 
Cordyline australis is the scientific name, so Caveman's guessing is right, and it was actually used by the Maori people for making "cords and line", or at least ropes and fish nets. 
QuoteIs it a monocot?
Yes. 
QuoteLooks kinda like a yucca. Is it related?
Distant cousin, same family.
It's doesn't actually produce wood, but it was an important food for the early Maori. They found that if you steamed the trunks or roots for a day or so in an umu (earth oven) it turned into a sugary fructose that could be dried and stored for later. It would also grow in the colder areas where their kumera (sweet potatoes) couldn't. The leaves have very strong fibres, so that was used for cloth / rope and even sandals. And a bonus, when it seeded it attracted the wood pigeons that could be snared or speared.  

Southside

Who puts cabbage in salad?  Heck, I am half Polish and even my grandma didn't do THAT!  She did cook it about every other way possible though.   ;D
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

caveman

I hope someone has something for tomorrow.  I have one I am sure I have not used but it is not impressive at all.  Also, tomorrow morning I have to get the crew together early to get to middle Cavedaughter's graduation at UF, which is a couple of hours north of here.

It is amazing to me that we have such a diversity of trees and the uses that have been found for them.

Thank you for introducing this one to us, Ian.
Caveman

firefighter ontheside

Quote from: Southside on August 09, 2019, 09:13:19 PM
Who puts cabbage in salad?  Heck, I am half Polish and even my grandma didn't do THAT!  She did cook it about every other way possible though.   ;D
Red cabbage is often shredded and added to salads.  Coleslaw is a salad made with cabbage.  I would say though, that it is best when cooked with some corned beef.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

I'll try to get some pictures of a tree here in the campground tomorrow morning that has not been posted yet.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Southside

If I never smell boiled cabbage again... ;D
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Ianab

Here's another from the local park. Lower leaves, and it's winter, so they are a bit rough looking, but I had to find ones I could reach.  :D

This one is growing on the banks of the Patea river, which is running a bit higher and dirty from the recent rain.

Other side of the path there is a small stand of them, showing a more normal forest form. The tree produces good timber, but is highly protected and can only be sawed with a permit. 

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Ianab

Quote from: Texas Ranger on August 10, 2019, 08:39:50 AM
Kahikatea?

Nope, we did that back on page 42. This ones an evergreen hardwood.

Texas Ranger

I would say Rewarewa, but the leaves are wrong.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

doc henderson

i have been looking up, how about Puriri,  Vitex lucens?  having trouble with the leaves
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

This one is probably tricky, and wouldn't be known outside NZ. 

Tawa, or Beilschmiedia tawa.  The scientific name is the same as the Maori common name, and it's actually from the Laurel family.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beilschmiedia_tawa
http://www.terrain.net.nz/friends-of-te-henui-group/table-1/tawa.html

The tree is quite common in the local forests, but it's hard to establish outside the existing canopy. The seedlings are very delicate, but shade tolerant. They are able to germinate and survive for decades until a "light tunnel" opens in the canopy and they start growing normally. 

The other guesses reminds more of a couple more trees I need to find...  ;)

Thank You Sponsors!