iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

572 XP.....I need a excuse

Started by Larry, September 26, 2021, 10:27:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I was cutting 36" white oak cookies with my 26 year old 272 XP a few days ago and all of a sudden it felt weird.  Thinking it needed new anti vibration bushings.  Oh no another problem :o.  So, I stop in the local saw shop just to look.  That 572 looks really sleek and even sexy ;D.  Couldn't resist and brought her home.

The shop also had 372 XP's but I sorta liked the idea of the auto tune and the 572 was only $50 more.  I talked the dealer down on the 572 and didn't try on the 372 so the spread could be more.

First impressions.  Way more power than my old 272 XP.  Heavier than the old saw, and heavier than the Stihl 462 I looked at a few weeks ago.  On the plus side it was cheaper than the 462 and I can also use bars/chains I have for the 272 XP.  At 73 years old I think I could have got by just fine with a lighter saw like the 562 XP or the Stihl 400 and saved money but power is nice. :)  

And by the way the problem on the old 272 XP was a screw fell out of the anti vibe bushing.  Now I feel silly for buying a new saw. :-[
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Old Greenhorn

You shouldn't feel silly n the least. DO whatever makes you happy and it sounds to me like you've found a saw that makes you do just that. Sometimes a man just needs a change to spice things up. 8)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

The only excuse I need for getting a new saw anymore, is that I wanted one😉😊
Too many irons in the fire

sablatnic

The excuse is that the 272 is worn and so old that spare parts are getting hard to find.
Or just use your wife's excuse for purchasing a new pair of shoes.
Best of luck with your new saw

Spike60

Hey, at 73 years old, you no longer need an excuse. You were in your 40's back when they were making the 272. Like Tom says, as long as it makes you happy. And that smile will keep getting bigger as the saw breaks in. :)

Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

YellowHammer

I would say it's just because of good Karma that the little screw fell out and you were presented with an excellent opportunity as the exact saw you "needed" was available for you.  Done deal.  

Life's got a way of doing things, and now you have the same you needed, so have a blast making chips.  Ain't nothing like the feeling of a new chainsaw that wants to eat.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

lxskllr

I quit making excuses a year or so ago. I'd try to justify my purchases and make sure they made some kind of financial sense, but this is how I have my fun. Vacations make zero financial sense, but people still do them. Cutting wood and busting brush is my vacation, so if there's a fun toy tool that makes it more enjoyable, I'll go ahead and get it.

doc henderson

Larry, does the new saw make your butt look big???   :) :) :) 8) 8) 8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rburg

I hope you enjoy the new saw. I don't need a new saw, but I am looking. LoL

Real1shepherd

One of Clint Eastwood's movie characters would say something like, "Need has got nothing to do with it."

Kevin

JoshNZ

I found a steel frame on the bank of one of our orchards the other day, rusty old thing with one foot in the scrapyard. I thought that'd make a good cradle for slabs, to stack and drop the chainsaw through. I cut it to bits and modified it so that I could get forks under the slabs once they're stacked in there.

The frame is about 30" wide, and my 038s are only sporting 20" bars so...

Naturally I'm looking around at new ms661c's, that's the only solution I can think of  ???

Enjoy your purchase!

Larry

I bought my 272XP with a 20" bar and chain in April 1995.  Paid the awful sum of $660.  I put in on market place for $500 and it sold today. 

So, it cost me $160 to use my saw for 26 years with very little in maintenance cost.  Granted I'm not a logger, but I did use it for a 5 year TSI project and to keep my sawmill supplied on a limited basis.  

I figure quality doesn't cost, it pays!
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

barbender

I have found that to be true as well, Larry. Good quality tools hold their value.

Southside

Well in todays money you only paid $287.36 for that saw, so technically it paid you $212.64 to hang out at your place all those years!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

I keep telling my wife stuff like that and it does not get me anywhere.   :snowball: :snowball: :snowball: :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

barbender

I think your inflation math is backwards, Southside (well actually, I think there are lots of things backwards about you, but let's focus on the issue at hand😁). If it cost $660 then, wouldn't that be like $1000 of today's watered down cash? Even so, still having 50% of inflation adjusted value after 25 years is pretty dang good👍🏻

Southside

Hey - these are official numbers here, they don't need to be right.   :D :D  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Larry

Thought I would give a report after running my new 572XP for a few months.  Starts 2nd pull when cold....every time.  Starts 1st pull when hot.....every time.  Like the captive bar nuts, love the sprocket arrangement.  Super easy to take the chain off and replace.  The new gas caps get a ho hum.  Not one problem and I like the way the saw cuts.  A little smaller size and weight would be nice.

I did not do the proper research when I bought the saw.  My old 272XP had just the right amount of power for me so I decided I wanted another 70cc saw.  Priced the same size Stihl but the Husky won as it was cheaper.  As it turns out the 572XP has lots more power than my old 272XP.  I think I would have been happy with a smaller saw, maybe the 562XP.  Would have had less weight, with satisfactory power, along with a lower price.    

Gary Davis

I knew there was a reason  I got the 500I but its nice to know that I didn't need one 

Woodfarmer

I have a dozen saws at any given time, but really liked the idea of fuel injection and lighter than my 046/460's so I bought a new 500i and now I have two.

Gary Davis

500i with 32in light bar feels lighter then the 460 with 28 in bar and  about 10% more horse power hope it holds up as well as my 038 mag

Thank You Sponsors!