iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Done - selling everything

Started by Southside, November 30, 2019, 02:36:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Southside

Walked in yesterday around 3:00 to eat some lunch and said those words to my wife.  She thought I was just grumbling until I sat down with leftovers and a pen and paper and began to write down each piece of equipment and what I think I could sell it for given it's a strong economy.  She really got worried when she saw me looking up recent equipment auctions for prices.  I am just going to go work for someone else. "Welcome to Wal-mart, Get yer crap and Get Out!!"  ;D  

Spent the entire week, including Thursday busting my hump trying to finish a floor for a customer that I way under estimated in terms of time, and  everything that could go wrong, did go wrong in the process.  Can't hire any help, at least not any that can pass a drug test and communicate in some reasonable fashion.  We have come to a place where everything is expected in two days, with free delivery, and oh - do you offer discounts for X,Y,Z?

Quit Thursday night / Friday morning at 0037 when I just could not see any longer, managed to finish the order yesterday evening and deliver it today....I guess the saving grace was when the customer looked at the flooring and asked "How do you make it look like this?  Pine does not come out like this any more" - so he was happy since his addition floor will match his 1911 original flooring, in the end it made it worth it, but man some days....  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Took my biggest order ever
Was supposed to be done tomorrow at noon.
I don't think I'm going to make it.
Work thanksgiving for 5 hours and just got in the truck now.The wind chill got me.
I'm going to go at it hard in the morning. 
But I don't think I will make it.
Might have a lot of 1x10x10 for sale.
I know how you feel.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Roxie

Wish I had a dime for every time that Cowboy Bob has come through the door and told me he is sick of working for his idiot boss...
Say when

SawyerTed

The other day I was speaking rather loudly and harshly while I was working at the sawmill set up in the backyard.  There was a blue cloud if you get my meaning. 

In a few minutes I saw my wife lurking around the corner of my shop.  She was trying to figure out who I was arguing with.  

When she finally asked, I told her I was having a staff meeting and the boss needed an attitude adjustment.    She reminded me that I work alone.

Some days are diamonds, some days are coal.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Don P

We were helping load trees at the farmer's market yesterday. The census lady had set up a booth hoping to sign up some people to help take the census, apparently they are having real trouble getting help this year. As I looked back at the last few weeks, I think it would be a raise, tempted, but, they frown on you killing bad dogs :D.

WV Sawmiller

Southside.

Sorry to hear you have been having a rough spell. I won't say to reconsider but hope you come to terms that are best you you and your family. I think we all have days like that. Since my sawing is more of a paying hobby and I am not depending on it to support the family I can be a little more tolerant of some issue than others. A little more appreciation from the customer goes a long way - not that some of them care. Good luck and best wishes.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Traci

Oh my! I think I would take a step back and think this one through A LOT. There is nothing better than being your own boss, even on the crap days, as long as you can pay your bills and mostly enjoy what you do.
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize they were the big things."
Robert Brault

charles mann

its awfully to hear this. hopefully things improve for you and you don't have give it all up. but if its 1 thing iv seen in my experiences, sometimes when God closes 1 door, he opens another door for the better. I hope he does the same for you if he indeed closes the door.
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

barbender

He'll never sell out, he's too cranky to work for anyone else😉😁
Too many irons in the fire

YellowHammer

Yep, grab a couple beers, or three, and in a few days your sawmill will be calling.  Or take a road trip, come on down here and we'll eat some steak, and go fishing or hunting.

On the other hand, I was offered a job at the local Cabelas, and I started to think about that myself.   :D :D  

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

WDH

I was sawing a good sized order of 16' lumber last week.  Handling 16' lumber by yourself is rough.  I asked myself why was I doing that?  Have not found the answer yet. 

Jim, step away for a bit and think it through.  You will find the right answer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

richhiway

I was self employed for over 20 years. (Garage, Tow Trucks,Used cars). I gave it up for a good job 18 years ago. I know how you feel. I enjoyed both. The best advice I can give you is cultivate good customers that pay their bills and appreciate your efforts. Don't take the jobs you can't make a profit on or that give you a hard time. Be selective, do the best work for the best customers. They are out there. Don't be afraid to make a profit and don't give credit. 

If you do give it up keep the equipment and do it on the side. Never hurts to make some cash.
Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Magicman

I don't blame anyone for quitting and hanging it up.  I have no plans to ever saw another log until this knee heals and I can walk again!!
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

redbeard

We go through the blues like that occasionally, but someone always shows up with 100.00 bill, credit card or check and the ball just keeps rolling. 
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Crossroads

I wish you nothing but the best and hope you come to a decision that works for you. 
Glad I had my glasses on Lynn.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Southside

Quote from: barbender on November 30, 2019, 07:44:05 PMHe'll never sell out, he's too cranky to work for anyone else

You know me too well.....:D  Sometimes I just don't get it.  How can folks either not work, or hardly work, yet they still have a new pickup, a bass boat, a deer hunting pickup, etc., and I am not talking about retired doctors or others who made their money and now enjoy it.  It just gets really discouraging when taxes, insurance, all the expenses that don't make you money keep pouring in, the work is there, but you can't hire anybody.  I don't even interview folks at first now, the first thing I tell them is you will have to pass a drug test, when the response is "which drugs" or "can you tell me ahead of time", "I have a bad back it's for medical purposes" then I end the interview.  It's only going to get worse here as there is a movement and desire by the elected fools to legalize more of it.  I have been looking at adding a 4 or 6 head re-saw to the operation and the conveyors and electrical upgrade that would come with it, but without the additional hands it's doomed to fail.  Although I am looking at commodity type of equipment what I produce is far from a commodity product, so I need folks who will engage their brain and back as lumber rolls down the line, the additional equipment is an effort to gain efficiency in the process.  Ugg....
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

barbender

Being at a point where you need employees would make me want to hang it up too. Which is very sad...you're making opportunity, and there's no one there to take it. I watch my owner/operator friends get violated on taxes, it's really sickening. The only way to hold on to any of it is to stay in a constant state of overwhelming, "house of cards" type of debt.
Too many irons in the fire

Bruno of NH

I was thinking of getting a BAC tester .
My helper Pone makes me wonder some mornings and I need to know.
His sort term memory is questionable on some mornings.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Firewoodjoe

It's alwasy got it's tough spots. Self employed or not! And I recently hired my dad. It's great don't get me wrong but when he retires I'm not hiring anyone else. It's a pain really. But I'm kind of a loaner I guess. I'd rather buy a new machine to help me.

Nebraska

Several of those colleges around you have forestry/agricultural departments, you could figure out an or several intern positions through one of those departments, I have a couple clients that take interns even though the position is temporary. It does give you labor some are duds and some will make you proud and become family. We have quite a few kids shadow for experience for different reasons  but its pretty special when one of them gets into veterinary school and asks you to white coat them. Your place has many different jobs to do  I just thought about this while getting caffeinated, boy it could teach some kids some things.

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

WV Sawmiller

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Don P

One of the shops I worked in hired interns from NCSU, that is when I learned a lot of wood science. I ended up buying and being given their textbooks so I could keep up. That was a win/win. Another thought was hire a vet.

Stephen1

Quote from: WDH on November 30, 2019, 08:46:55 PM
I was sawing a good sized order of 16' lumber last week.  Handling 16' lumber by yourself is rough.  I asked myself why was I doing that?  Have not found the answer yet.  

Jim, step away for a bit and think it through.  You will find the right answer.
I hate 16' lumber by myself. I changed the plans on my addition to my cottage as it called for 2x8x14'. I could barely lift the green lumber off the mill, my little bobcat could only lift about 12 in a bundle. I have to add a center beam and made them 2x8x7'. I cut those 14' in half and now its a breeze to saw and move. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Stephen1

I was wondering about the drug test, Why? Then I thought there is so much oxy addictions going on ,whether it is for pain or not. The excuse I have a bad back doesn't cut it for me, I have had a bad back for ever it seems. I do my stretchs and exercises and it goes away. 
What someone does on thier own time is not my business but if it affects thier performance at work! It is my "business" 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!