iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My new Bionic Knee

Started by johnjbc, June 04, 2006, 08:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Reading this thread helps to lesson the pain in my knees  :-\

I am trying a number of different exercises to build up the muscles around the joints in an effort to ease the pain.  I am too young and got too much to do.  And like Tom the thought of being put under scares me - actually gong under isn't so bad but coming to in the post op unnerves me to no end.

Hang in there John.  I hope the knee comes around quickly and your up and about in no time.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

CLL

Never had knees replaced, had motorcycle wreck in 1999, had to have hip replacement done in 2000. Absolutely best thing I ever did. Having knee or hip surgery and its recovery depends on hard you work to keep muscles going. Sort of the old saying "use it or loose it" and "no pain no gain". It's sure hard to convince yourself of that when they bend a hip or knee and you need diapers. Ouch!!!
Too much work-not enough pay.

BigTrev

I feel your pain John, just gotta punch through it mate boxingsmiley

I lost a knee when I rode my bike at great pace into the side of a car that pulled out in front of me 3 days before my 14th birthday. My scar looks pretty different to yours, I guess its the difference between trauma and elective........and about 12 years of medicine  :D

Whats yours made out of?

Mines mostly kevlar and some kind of surgical/stainless steel so they told me. It only hurts when its real cold or I whack the cap out  ::)
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Chris Burchfield

Hang in there John. Glad rehab is going good. In the mid 70's I worked at Wright Manufacturing in Arlington TN. just outside Memphis. They make implants and have a pretty good web site. Copy and paste the following to the address line. It takes a person through step by step operation.

http://www.wmt.com/TotalKnee/Patients/replacement_animation.asp

There are also other procedures and information about their implants.

"Richards" is another manufacturer in Bartlett TN. again just outside Memphis. Hope this helps some of you. Chris.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

johnjbc

BigTrev
Whats yours made out of

Stainless steel and plastic here is a link to my knees
http://www.biomet.com/patients/knee_replacement.cfm
http://www.biomet.com/patients/maxim_posterior.cfm
The link that Chris posted is very similar to what they used on me and shows basically what they do.

My right knee went in and the motion came right back :). Three weeks in I had about the same motion as the left one has now.
They say that I had adhesions. That's where things grow together that shouldn't and the manipulation that they did on me tears them loose. No one is sure why that happens but the therapy is supposed to keep it from happening. :P
I have some theories. First I had a ½ inch high spur on the top front of my shin bone where the main tendon rides, that had to be removed (chiseled off) . From there and 2 inches to the right I had real bad swelling >:(. And I think that is where the main adhesion was because the muscles in my upper thigh that pull across that area are very sore now. Like the adhesion was not letting those muscles stretch and the joint bend.   
The first in home therapy visit 4 days after sugary measured my bend at 86 degrees and they had me running the CPM machine 3 times a day and I was to increase by 5 degrees a day. That may have been to aggressive  ::)because swelling only allowed sixty some degrees on the next visit.

Anyhow I have been going to therapy every day this week and have been maintaining better than 100 degrees of bend. This weekend will be my first time without the therapist working  smiley_smash smiley_smashon me so wish me luck.

They also gave me a brace to ware that straps to my leg and has socket wrench that allows you to bend and or straighten the joint.
3 half hour session a day in each direction. It does bend you but it's a real pain to convert from extension to flex and put on.  >:(

Swelling has started to go down but lost a couple degrees
Mon   107
Tus     107
Wed   108
Thu    105
Over 100 degrees is considered functional

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

johnjbc

Well the vacation (if you call it that :o) is over I'm back to work this week. They changed the brace to a different kind and made changes to the therapy and then things started getting better.  smiley_bounce
I would recommend that if you have to have to have this procedure. Don't have it done in the winter. A lot more people have problem in the winter.
I started the paper work to retire and hope to be done by June first. Then its time to get the mill fired up and some lumber made. 8)
LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

CLL

I agree with the no pain no gain. The more you exercise early the better you function later. Need my knees done, orthoped said I had the knees of 80 year old man. I thought they was doing well considering the damage they have recieved over the years. I have had a hip replacement and that was the best thing I ever did, instant relief. Best advice from here is use it all you can.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Thank You Sponsors!