iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Real Man's Chainsaw!

Started by Oregon_Sawyer, October 31, 2003, 09:13:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oregon_Sawyer

Some more pictures from the northwest.  This is Rosie (nickname from his last name) with the chainsaw that he is using to cut my oversize logs.

Rosie (Lloyd) and his brother Floyd are 67 year young twins who have worked as timber fallers for most of their life.  The Husky saw has a 60in bar on it and is just barely big enought for a couple of the logs.  Yes  the saw is 2 foot taller than he is.!   He also uses a Stihl and borrowed my Jonsered.

This is Rosie at work.  Check out the ladder.

One half marked for the next cut.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

WoodChucker

Wow, that thing is as big as my LT15 and would cut a larger log.  ;D

R.T.
If a Husband & Wife are alone in the forrest fighting and no one is around to hear them, is he still wrong anyway?

Bigdogpc

'ats a fine lookin' saw and a better lookin log!

Norm

Pretty cool Loren, those guys look tougher than nails. Bet they have some good stories about felling in the NW. Thanks for showing us.

woodmills1

James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Percy

Nice logs...nice logs............nice logs......Wow
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

music_boy

I think that is a real chainsaw's man!!! ;D ;)

Cool pic
Rick
It's not how much YOU love, it is how much you ARE loved that matters. (Wizard of OZ)

dan-l-b

Great pics,  I got a logger who is now disabled.  Hope to share some of his stories one day.

ADfields

Looks to me like Rosie is a chainsaw sharpening fool!! :o   That cut is dead flat on the money!! :) :)   DanG!!!!
Andy

Oregon_Sawyer

Yes he is!  He cuts for 2 to 3 hrs until all of his chains are dull and goes home and sharpens them.

I agree that he is dead on.  He was apoligizing because his cuts weren't as true as he wanted.  Every quarter so far has only taken less than an inch to clean up.

I told him not to worry.  I am just glad to have them small enough to handle.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

ADfields

Good evenly sharp chain is the key to a flat freehand cut like that and that know-how only comes from years and YEARS behind the file AND saw!  :-/   He is the kind of guy I like to pick the brain of. ;)
Andy

rebocardo

I feel so inadequate, I have trouble cutting a 28" log in half so it has square ends. I think it is so amazing someone could be that good with a chain saw

AtLast

this is my brudder Darryl and my utter brutter Darryl and his cuzin Loyd enna Floyd......and dats one BIG bar......did he cut that line free hand or did he have one a dem dare bolt on guides.....VERY straight cut...

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

That is an amazing cut.  Never done it that big!  :o

One thing I have noticed about long bars:    When you do free hand straight cuts, the sheer length of the bar makes it much easier to see a developing error.   The bar and the engine will have a serious pow-wow with you, if you don't stay in the previously established kerf.  If you don't listen to their advice, you may get "whupped"!  If you watch the kerf gap closely, and feel the bar, and really hear the engine,  the bar itself helps the alignment - the longer the bar, the better this self-alignment can be.

I have a Stihl 090 and an old Stihl 075.  Both of these have 41" Stihl bars.  (No, I don't want the 60" one, like the Brudders have!)
Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Oregon_Sawyer

ATLast:

Rosie cuts them freehand.  He lays out a string and paints a line on the log.  Look at the half log.  He then gets up on the log and cuts all the way thru vertically on the end.  Then he cuts from one end to the other.  No boards, no guides.  Just him and his saw.  He cut the big firs in about 35 min.  

I was trying to saw on the other side of the loader.  I would just get set up and started and he would need me to move more logs in and remove the quarters.

AtLast

Experience and skill prevails there....unbelieveably straight ...Im WAY impressed.....cool pic too

HUNTER700

WoW, Cool 8) 8) pictures. Mr. Roise Can really cut. Awesome Logs. :o

Frank_Pender

Yep, Rosie sure did a fine job on those Fir. ;D I had a chance to see them last Sunday afternoon.   I was goiing to have Loren make a couple cut for me on a special Black Walnut for a mantle piece.  He has quite a pile of quarted Fir and Western Red Cedar piled around his mill site. 8) 8) 8)  However, the mill is in the hospital for a couple of days and I will have to wait on my request. :'(
Frank Pender

Oregon_Sawyer

I brought this post back up because of the questions about quartering big logs.

I have sawn and used these logs in my new home.  The first wood I used was for exposed trusses on the covered porch.  These were clear vertical grain full dimension 2x6.  Then I cut the tongue and groove ceiling boards.  Random width 4, 6 and 8 inch boards finished to 13/16.  Then I cut the CVG flooring for my bedroom.  Then all the parts for the railing and spindles around the staircase in the Great Room.

I will post updated photos soon on the log house.

Loren

Gilman

Me not being the expert these boys are :-/, I've used the technique used in the sheet metal industry.  To get a good straight cut, start with your chalk line and score in only about 1/2" deep with your chainsaw.  Do this a couple times until you're in 1"-2" deep.  (In sheet metal you are only going up to 1/4" deep total, but you are still primarily concerned about a straight line.  Your first score in sheet metal is only about 1/32" thick)  Once you get your 1-2" guide track you can then focus on keeping the saw perpindicular to the ground, not chasing a chalk line.

This preistablished guide trial helps us amateur loggers cut like you professionals. Boy, I'd like to be able to just start at one end and end up at the other, and be on center and perpendicular! ::)

Thanks for the photos
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

Thank You Sponsors!