iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firearms Deer Season is here!!!

Started by ADAMINMO, November 14, 2008, 09:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ADAMINMO

Semo ,

Here are a few of the big bucks I have taken over the years with the big racks. We do have a few bigguns around here.
Adam

Larry

Wow Adam, you got a regular trophy room with some really monster deer. 8) 8)
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

SwampDonkey

Nice Taxidermy Adam.

Grandfather had a few mounted over the years, my uncle kept a couple of the bucks and gave the others away.

I had to add one here. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ADAMINMO

Thanks SD. Thats a nice you got there yourself.
Thanks Larry!

SwampDonkey

Yeah, it was a Serpentine white tail I think. Named for the lake area it came from at one of gramp's camps. I think that mount is older than me. :D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Samuel

As promised, here are the pics from our weekend adventures (Sat afternoon until Monday Evening) in Northern Alberta.  My Dad was up and our friend of the family was out from New Brunswick to take part in the festivities.  Given the time frame we were given, success rate was very good (most have been their guide  :D)  Anyhow, enjoy the pics:

Mule Deer #1- Management Buck (Older Buck weighed 340)

Mule Deer #2- Dad's Deer (2-3 year old weighed 330)

White Tail (Topped the scales at 350 lbs and has a 26 inch spread on the main beams)

White Tail CLose up of Antlers
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Weekend_Sawyer

Nice Bucks!

so you have mulies and white tails in the same forrest?

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

CLL

Anterless deer season starts saturday, plan on taking a couple of does, as my son worked with a man that has 7 in family and lost his job. They just walked in a fired 5 men, they had from 12-33 years seniority, didn't mean a thing. Gave them a whole two weeks severience pay. What a bunch of low lifes.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Norm

Well I finally got me a deer. I hunted the first season in bitter cold and wind and got nothing. Today it's in the upper 30's, so much better to stand out there and wait. It was a spike buck with a nice big body. He's hanging on the tractor and no pics as I had to finish him off with a head shot and it wasn't pretty.

I'm going  back out tomorrow to see if I can fill the rest of my tags.

beenthere

Nice going. Take the camera and catch a pic of your stand/hunt area. please...we like pics.
Are your extra tags doe only, or choice?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Norm

I'll do that BT if the weather holds up. I'm going to butcher the deer first as the weather's just too darn warm to let it hang, and then a real cold front is coming through late today. Hunker down as it's heading your way after us.

I have a buck tag and 2 doe tags left, they are all landowner tags that are fairly cheap to buy. I'm always amazed that I get to feed the dnr's deer for them and then get to pay them to hunt....

I doubt I'll fill them all but since I feed a couple of other families I sure hope to. :)

Jeff

Today is the last day of our blackpowder season.  I'm spending the day in my blind in a last stand for a deer.  Its like the wild kingdom today.  So far a grey  squirrel, 1 black squirrel, 4 pine squirrels,  3 ruffled grouse, 1 Spruce grouse, probably a dozen bluejays, a Cardinal and a raven.  Its raining but not bad cold. No deer, but I aint giving up until last shooting light.  DanG nocturnal  deer!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

farmerdoug

Who let DanG near our deer? ::) :D :D :D :D
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Weekend_Sawyer

My brother Chris and I went to WV yesterday and hunted the last day of Doe season.
We saw 9 deer but no good shots. We had a spike looking down the hill from us, the sun was behind him and you could see clouds of steam as he was breathing, his nose was dripping pretty good too, we went another 50 yards and jumped a nice buck with a couple of does, I think he had just taught the spike a lesson :D

We will be heading up Thursday afternoon to hunt Muzzle loader. I enjoy hunting with my traditional Hawkins rifels, a 50 and 54 caliber.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Norm

Well I went out this morning and saw 2 does running away and that was it. Then all of a sudden this cold front hit. Went from 40°F to 17°F in about 15 minutes with the wind picking up into the 30mph range. Came in and processed the spike buck I got yesterday into burger. We just got done and cleaned up when I mentioned to Patty aren't you glad I didn't get another one this morning. She was.  :D

beenthere

Wow. I see that cold front coming our way...it is 47° here now, and -1° in Western Iowa.
Might throw a log on a bit earlier tonight.  :) Can you keep it in IA?  :) :)

Nice doe walked by the front window 1/2 hour ago. Thought about it, as it is the last day of our 4-day late doe season, but figured I've 3 on ice now so one more isn't needed. Besides, there is another week-long season at the end of this month..buck or doe.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

Quote from: beenthere on December 14, 2008, 03:29:41 PM
Wow. I see that cold front coming our way...it is 47° here now, and -1° in Western Iowa.
Might throw a log on a bit earlier tonight.  :) Can you keep it in IA?  :) :)

Too late for that. That front went thru about 2 PM and the temp dropped from 37 to 7 and the wind went up to about 30 MPH in about an hour. Ain't fit to be outside now.

Edit: About 15 minutes later it's down to 1 below and wind gusting to 41 MPH.  :o
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

SwampDonkey

Went from 5 F this morning up to 20 F now. Suppose to rain in a day or two.

Jeff

This short video clip sort of explains how I can spend so much time in my woods not killing a deer and not get bored or tired of hunting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56c5lP6818k
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ErikC

I got this picture recently from the opening weekend of our deer season. It is around sept 19 or 20th. These are columbian blacktails in north western CA. Thats me on the right. These guys are going with me again next year. 16 miles in on horseback, their first pack trip, but they have hunted plenty. It was a really fun week. The weather was frosty and a little unsettled but not stormy. We also saw a couple other bucks as nice as these and killed a 375lb bear.

Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Erik, that looks like a great time. I'm not a big game hunter, but that would be a good time regardless of the hunting. I've never rode a horse much, but 16 miles makes horse riding a bit more attractive. :) There were black tails (I think they called them Sitka deer) on the BC NW coast and some were settled on the Charlottes. They were quite small though, might be a different deer sub-species. I have photos on the forum of a few in the log camp yard. The bad limit was 6 deer back then. They were like pets. :D

ErikC

You're right SD, sitka are a different subspecies of blacktail. They are quite a bit smaller than ours.
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Samuel

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on December 10, 2008, 11:12:26 AM

Nice Bucks!

so you have mulies and white tails in the same forrest?

Jon

Jon:

White tails and Mulies frequent the same lands to the point if there isn't a lot of extra light, you have to be sure when you squeeze off a round.  But luckily even in poor light, the mulies stand out.
Web: HugeDomains.com - StrategicHseSystems.com is for sale (Strategic Hse Systems)
LinkedIn http://ca.linkedin.com/in/samuelelkins
Software Solutions-
DATS | Digital Action Tracking System by ASM

Ron Scott

Filled my second doe permit this evening with the muzzleloader. Saw 3 deer and took the biggest one, a nice doe. Had to leave it in the woods tonight due to darkness and the deep snow and a hill to climb at the edge of a swamp. The landowner will  help get it out tomorrow. The heavy snow and weather have made the hunting a "survival" adventure.
~Ron

farmerdoug

Ron,  You should call Corley and have him pack it out for you. :)
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Thank You Sponsors!