iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

648g3 tranny

Started by CX3, March 20, 2018, 03:19:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CX3

The trans in my 648g3 seems like it takes alot more engine rpm to get power to the tires these days. No codes. No temp. Any suggestions.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

mike_belben

Checked the sump screen lately?
Praise The Lord

CX3

No and stupid me just had it jacked over for a blown hose.

I forgot to add it takes a while after initial start up for the machine to even move. Longer on chilly mornings.
You Better Believe It!

Firewoodjoe

Torque converter or direct  drive? Why did u have the cab up? Did u do anything that pertains to the trans oil?  Those take a long time to even out on the dip stick so add oil slow if it shows low.

mike_belben

I think that cold start issue further confirms that the oil level,  sump screen and any filtration is the right starting point.  If those all check out, track down the test pressures in your manual or from a dealer and get some gauges on it.  

Any powershift trans is basically gonna be a big planetary or two inside a housing with some clutches, bands and apply pistons of some sort.  The control valve will direct oil, what to apply and what to exhaust.  If the pump is up to snuff the valve likely has internal leakage.

Warm fluid expands metal and reduces leak rate.  So thats why old powershift machines on the threshold of useable just tend to be grouchy about cold mornings.  Replacing all the brittle old seals and maybe some worn hardparts in the travel control selector valve, or shimming and recondition whatever poppet seat regulates that control pressure, usually brings new life to an old workhorse.
Praise The Lord

Firewoodjoe

It would be hard for me to believe that your trans has serious problems. I'm sitting beside two right now that have over 20,000 hours and work like the day they were new. But got regular service. They do need filters regularly.

CX3

I don't think it's anything major because it doesn't slip I'd say the filtration screen and a new filter will get things going it has never leaked and the oil is always right on the full mark
You Better Believe It!

mike_belben

Yeah hopefully.  Let us know. 
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!