iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Odd little paying job

Started by johncinquo, May 08, 2008, 03:10:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johncinquo

I got paid to cut up a log, hows that for a kicker. 8) :D

A karate studio wanted a log cut to make a sign/decoration in their facility.   They wanted a 8' long, diagonal cut log in the rough.  About 14" across and 2" thick.  They wanted the edge left rough, and the ends to have the natural tapered look of the log.  It came out kinda interesting.  I spent about an hour jacking one end of it up, measuring, jiggering, and figgering how to get this done right without wasting more than 1 log out of the deal.  I made a few cuts off the top to check the angle, and I had to get it lowered so the mill would fit over the cut.  I threw in the extra pieces for free in case they want to to do something with them later.  It came out with a big knot on one side that just added tons of character to it.

I told em it was rough sawn, and would need to either go through a planer or lots of sanding to make it smooth.  They said no problem, the students were going to learn lots of "sanda sand" on it before they put it up.     (old Mr. Miagi joke there in case ya missed it) 

I think I'll stick with my day job for a living, but it was fun to do something different and get paid a couple bucks.

To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

beenthere

And the pic or pics are ??  ??   ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

And the "Wahks on; Wahks off" is?
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

woodmills1

Lovely wife says there was no sanding in Karate kid but was waxing on and off.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

HORSELOGGER

Danielson!  Show me painta fence! Show me sanda floor! Wax on wax off!   Ah Ah ... Always looka eye Danielson.
Heritage Horselogging & Lumber Co.
"Surgical removal of standing timber, Leaving a Heritage of timber for tommorow. "

johncinquo

Yeah I am laughin now, we know our movies.    Sanda sand in inside circles, wax on wax off is outside circles.   He had to sand all the boards for the wooden deck outside. 

Pics to come shortly. 
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!