iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

larger motor on old splitter

Started by woodman52, January 20, 2021, 01:21:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doc henderson

the back cap on my cylinder, has two ports, so if I added a dump valve, I would just use the other port.  radius adds resistance to flow, as it get smaller.  there is also a length component, so a short segment of smaller radius (port) is better than a length of it (hose, tubing).
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

hedgerow

The few splitters that I have put dump valves on the ones with the biggest improvement for speed and heat of the hyd oil were on ones that had a over sized rods on the cylinder. If your running standard size rod on your cylinder I didn't see any improvement on my four inch cylinder with a two inch rod running a 28 GPM two stage pump. Added a extra port and a dump valve and it didn't speed any thing up or cool the oil down. Some day when the cylinder starts leaking I will have it rebuild with a over sized rod to get some more speed.  

mike_belben

Right and it makes perfect sense too because if you put 20gpm into a 4 inch blind end it moves at X speed.  When you switch directions and put 20gpm into the retract side with a 3" rod.. Its now a 1inch bore of fluid getting 20gpm pushed in so it flies.  But on the other side of that 1inch bore is a 4" bore being shoved out a tiny hole like a syringe.. Big volume of fluid trying to be expelled at a high rate of speed.

So with a 2 way control valve on a oversize rod, youre trying to shoot fluid out the blind end port way way faster than it took it in and the fluid is cavitating like crazy.  Futhermore.. Not all the fluid is sent to tank or cooler.  What hot stuff remains in the line from valve to cylinder just runs right back in on the next split, never to be filtered or exchanged.  

A dump valve will replenish this oil by sending it all outward to tank, filter and cooler over time.  Remember a dump valve is one way flow.  Out, out, out, out.  So it will really purge that hot foamy oil back to tank to shed temp.  Good feature that all pro machines should utilize.   
Praise The Lord

Spike60

I saw the pic in the first post and thought, "Hey, that's my splitter!" Not quite, as I have that splitter's little brother; which is a 5HP Briggs/20 ton. But otherwise looks identical. Have had it for a good 20 years now and except for the worst crotches, it's split anything I've needed it to. The cycle time is a pretty decent 12 sec. And since I usually keep it from retracting all the way, it's less than that when splitting 16" wood. So, the splitter's cycle time is more than a match for my cycle time.

Where I'm going with this is how much faster than that is necessary for personal use? At what cost? And how long can you keep up with it? And if you did this project, how many seconds would you actually gain in the end? Not sure it's worth the effort given the cost and considerations about heat build up that guys have pointed out.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

doc henderson

I have a 32 inch throw to my 5 inch cylinder.  I use the rod stops to stop it from retracting back.  I shoot for 16 inch logs to split for the stove.  I bought a set for my 2 inch rod, that are spring loaded and go on and off without tools.  Jacks small engine I think.  a set of 4, with a 4,3,2,and 1 inch for a total of 10 inch reduction of retraction.  so leaves a 22 inch opening, for my 15 to 18 inch logs.  next upgrades for me, is a larger rod,  an auto valve with a dump valve.  I usually run at half throttle so speeding things up really is not on my radar.  I may slow down before I speed up my splitter.   8) 8) 8) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

petefrom bearswamp

My 42 yr home built  splitter has a Central Tractor (now TSC) 4" hyd cylinder, dont know the make of the pump, I think it's single stage, Cross valve and as I posted above now a 5.5 honda.
Other than the engine the only repair was a new handle for the valve.
we split 22 to 23"wood seldom over 18 diameter
Speed is good enough for us as My son runs the splitter and I stack. Gives me enough time usually as we set up close to the stacking area.
Dont know the cycle time but will time it next spring when we start splitting.
We only do about 15 to 18  standard cords per year for our own use which seems like a lot, but  our heating equipment isnt very efficient.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

mike_belben

god bless ya for putting up that much wood at that many years of age pete.  eat your heart out jack lalanne  8)
Praise The Lord

jmur1

Wood will keep you young .... and sore!  Awesome work Pete!
Easy does it

Al_Smith

As I've said I'm like most and really see not much use  spending the money to speed things up .They brag about those fly wheel type splitters  like Lickety Split .However they set those speed  records with two big 25 year old farm boys so of course they can feed that thing non spot for at least a short time .Now comes one guy 55 to 70 plus years old with no helpers and they want a faster cycle time ? Makes sense to me . ???
On the other hand I like fast chainsaws if that accounts for anything ,kind of fun to soup up  8)

mike_belben

The faster the saw the sooner you can put the dang thing down  ;)
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!