iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2020 ??

Started by Magicman, January 01, 2020, 07:26:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tule peak timber

Sawed some of the cedar and this afternoon started slapping it up. 95 in the shade, in the sun we felt like bacon....

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

LeeB

Long story. I built a rabbit hutch and Lindy posted pics on facebook. One of her freinds asked how much for me to build one for them. Not really wanting to do it I quoted $450. She wants two of them.  :D. 

This is the one I built for us. Got started on the ones for the lady today but didn't have enough oak lumber of the right dimensions on hand or enough cedar for the legs. While cutting down a cedar to make the legs I spotted this standing dead oak close by. I figured it was trash but when I made a bore cut it was solid through. Looked pretty rough but managed to get 106 BF of 5/4" x 8" x 16' out of it.

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Old Greenhorn

You've gotta love it when you give them a "I really don't wanna do it" price and they bite on it x 2! I hope that happens to me some day. :)
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

From the picture evidence presented, I would have called Black Locust.  You said Oak, so it must be Post Oak.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

OG,
There may be even more in the long run. She has friends that may want some too. She also wants a chicken tractor and a barn. This is all good. It's a break in scenery from building the same stuff on the neighbors farm. 

MM, 
It was oak. I didn't take any pics of the ray fleck. I'm not sure if we even have black locust around here.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Magicman

I was only looking at the color and the misery that it gave your blade.  I was/am satisfied that it is Post Oak. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WV Sawmiller

@LeeB,

Good looking rabbit hutches. One suggestion I'd add would be to add some 1X4s around the perimeter of all 4 legs about 6" from the ground with cross pieces to hold a shallow, removable tray to catch the droppings (I assume the bottom is 1/2" hardware cloth) and see about raising worms for fish bait. That has been a common practice with other rabbit raisers I have known.

Remember - free advice is worth what you paid for it. :D :D

Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Curlybirtch

Pushed over a large dead maple, to my delight she was still very solid and showing some real nice spalt lines. Will be interesting to open her up, I sawed the very top piece of the log to see what was in it and was not disappointing. Going to have to split it with the chainsaw first to fit it on the mill. Almost too heavy for the mini to pick. Im thinking about making a nice out door table by the horseshoe pit out of the stump. Threw a couple of nice clean wide ash boards in as well. 
>

Resonator

Red Oak.

A repeat customer brought me a couple crooked Red Oak logs to saw into slabs, loaded with medullary rays.

Also got a couple crotch figure slabs, though the gnarly grain 24" wide cut maxed out the mill.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

tule peak timber

I had the designers and contractors over this morning for a walk through on a 5X42 foot walnut countertop we are just starting to build for the Mingei Museum in San Diego. This will all be stitched together into one piece in my secondary shop and shipped completely finished ready to install by the end of summer. :)

Banjo picker

Cut 104 of these 12 foot 1 x 10s.

Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

tule peak timber

Very nice material, which should make some cabinet guy happy. 8)

Magicman

Very nice Tim.  I will be back to sawing SYP 1X8's for flooring Monday.  8)

Banjo picker

The folks that had that sawed, sell crafts at different venues.  Really don't know what they will do with it. He usually orders 1 x 10s.  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SawyerTed

Siding siding and more siding.  Two days worth of 5/8x6 and 5/8 mountain siding.  We got through 2/3rds of his logs.  He'll be having me back once he gets paid again. 

When we finished we had over 2,000 board feet!  I used my hourly rate and came home happy!

I liked the one photo so much you will have to see it twice!

Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

WV Sawmiller

What is mountain siding? Is that one live edge? Never heard that term before. Looks good.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Jeff

Well I guess I get my shot at a real contribution to this topic. Quite the day  today.

To all of our Wood-Mizer friends. Those of you that build them sell them and run them. Our Hearts are heavy today with the loss of founder Don Laskowski.  I found out this morning as Tammy and I worked to load and saw the largest log we had ever sawn on the old foodmizer - slushmizer, that he passed away last night. Our wood-mizer lt30 is one of the very early sawmills. It was built in 1986.

Without what Don Laskowski built and the early help from Wood-Mizer, we would never have been able to build and grow the Forestry Forum. Thank you Don and prayers for our entire Wood-Mizer family of friends.

Loading a 30" White Spruce - YouTube

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Those beams are 6 by 14 by 16'  they will be resized as needed for the pavilion project we are working on. Tammy and I want to dedicate the Pavilion to Don.

doc henderson

looks like fun.  on the industrial size.  glad your mule winch could handle it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bruno of NH

That's a nice spruce log !
I like sawing spruce. 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Jeff

Just a one log day, but by the time I got things stowed and cleaned up for the day, I'm bushed! 

That big ole log turned like magic. I mean, it was like magic I could turn it at all. That was a bruiser for a fully manual mill.

SawyerTed

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on May 30, 2020, 03:40:03 PM
  What is mountain siding? Is that one live edge? Never heard that term before. Looks good.
Yep live edge one side. Apparently mountain siding is a regional term from the Boone NC area. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

teakwood

After my updates on the mill, i'm back to sawing teak

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=109583.msg1735153#msg1735153

A deck i sold 1.25x6" planned on 2 sides, 1250$

From green to 14.5% in 1.5-2month, (just in the dry season)

Storage is pretty full right now

A small teak wall i did for a friends bar (he paid me in beers), finished with two coats of linseed oil

From the plantation to the finished product! Nice 15years old tree
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

Banjo picker

That's what I call growing if that's only 15 years old.  Tim

cutterboy

Those are the neatest stacks of lumber I have ever seen.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Thank You Sponsors!