iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need help with shed bracing.

Started by JOE.G, October 01, 2019, 10:04:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JOE.G

Hi, I am going to try and explain this the best I can, I have bracing questions on a shed I am building.

I have an out door pen, it is 20 ft long by 12 ft wide and 8 ft high.
It is built with 6x6 in corners and in the center of the 20 ft runs. I then have a 2x8 all around the bottom top and the middle, this had Weld wire in it for birds.

I now want to enclose it, so I put 4x4 on the bottom and I attached 2 and 9/16th inch thick by 6inch rough cut barn board flooring and I ran them the 12 foot width across.

I I am raising the one 2o ft long end up another two ft with a 2 ft fall I built to get the pitch for the metal roof. I cut in and attached rafters 16 on center for this and I put down 12 x 1 rough cut lumber down as perlins going all the way across every two ft.
The one 12 ft end Id like to open up and make 2 4 ft wide doors.
Outside of the building will be rough cut board and batton.

Any ideas on how I should brace this building, I normally would brace it diagonal on the ends but Id like to open the end up. Its a storage shed but obviously I want it safe

Building is not in concrete as I never planned to do this when i build the run. It is going to be attached to a 10X12 Shed on the one end which I over built and that thing is not moving, 2x6 framed 16 oc walls 5/8th plywood on the outside with board and batton over it, 1/2 plywood on the inside, 2x8 floors with plywood roof same as walls.

I know Pictures would be helpful I just dont have any handy. Thank you
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Don P

If there isn't a footing under those 6x6 posts you know what is probably going to happen.
For the 8' door in the 12' wall google "narrow wall portal frame" and click on the apa link that should come up. Holler back if you don't see it and I'll dig it up.

WV Sawmiller

I'm no carpenter or architect, as anybody who has ever seen any of my construction will immediately recognize, and I am not totally following what you are doing but in regard to the diagonal bracing, even though you want to leave the ends open can you still install diagonal bracing from about half to 2/3 of the way up and basically brace the corners? This will still provide some good stiffening but leave you some open area to work with.

I had a lot more height to work with here than you are describing and I still have completely open bays up to about 6'. Could you do this on a smaller scale?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

JOE.G

WV my building is similar roof to yours and pols but My long and tallest wall is Board and Batton and totally closed off. I also have boards connecting each post on the bottom middle and top.
Husqvarna 562XP Woods Ported .025 pop up MM
Husqvarna Rancher 55 2005
Husqvarna 450 Anniversary Edition 2010
STIHL 009 1998
STIHL HT 131 Pole Saw 2012
STIHL FS 110 R Trimmer 2010
STIHL BR 600 Magnum Blower 2012

Thank You Sponsors!