iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to Buy a Planer, Advice Needed

Started by 123maxbars, December 18, 2011, 06:24:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I am looking to buy a planer and have been reading reviews online now for a month. Thought I would get the advice of the forum. I want to be able to plane atleast 12in wide boards. My budget is around 1k. I am looking for something that will last. Any suggestions would be appreciated. 
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

WDH

You are a young guy, so get one that will serve you well for a long time.  You can buy a 3 HP 15" planer for 1K.  However, that is with knives.  Save a little more money and get the spiral head with the carbide inserts.  Buying a new planer without the spiral head with inserts is like buying a new car without air bags. 

Get the spiral head!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

LeeB

I'm real happy with the 15" grizzly with the spiral head, but like Danny said, it'll run you about $1500.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

mandolin

I've got 2 planers, an old heavy cast iron Boice-Crane and a smaller Craftsman 12 1/2 inch. I use the Craftsman way more than the other. I like the Craftsman because the blades are so easy to install and have register pins that fit holes in the blades, so no setting. The blades are disposable but I usually sharpen them a couple of times before I chunk them. But if I was going to go out and buy a new one, it would probably be a Grizzly.
2008 Hudson 228
1945 Boice-Crane Planer
1953 Ford Jubilee Tractor
Husqvarna 455 Rancher
Dehumidification kiln
Complete cabinet/furniture shop
Professional turkey boxcall tuner

Dan_Shade

I second the spiral cutter head planer idea!

I have a big z-series 20" grizzly planer, it's a workhorse
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Ironwood

You could look for a Powermatic 180. They are straight knife but darn well built and REALLY solid, last you a lifetime and then some. I saw one just the other day at a friend;s shop that passed away, likely $500-750 could buy it. In Pittsburgh Pa. IT is a "green" one which is the BEST vintage circa 1970. I have a green 225 Powermatic 24" and love it. Dont get the yellow Powermatics, they cheapened them up in later years.

Ironwood (I will pm' ya)

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

T Welsh

I think along the same lines Ironwood thinks!take a look at local auctions and craigs lists and look at older iron,you can pick up a really nice machine for a 1/4 of new costs,older vintage machines are built better,have better castings, and are made to last a life time! Tim

Radar67

I have the 15 inch Grizzly and a 12 inch Delta. The Delta gets used on most of my projects. I bought the 15 inch because of the reviews I read on it and I wanted to be able to plane wider than 12 inches. Everyone talks the spiral heads up, and they may be good, but in the end, you are going to sand the material so save the money and get blades you can resharpen.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Cedarman

Spiral heads for me.  We were constantly changing knives.  When I went to the spiral head.  We go for months and months.  I would say 100,000' on our 26". 
The other thing is that when you hit something, you only have to change a few little knives.  So much quicker and cheaper.
WDH says using knives is like having a car without air bags.  I say it is like not having power steering or power brakes and no air conditioning.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

ely

i have the 15 grizzly with knives and it cost me 1200 bucks, but it also came with a 6 inch joiner and 17 inch bandsaw. ;D

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: ely on December 19, 2011, 09:44:48 AM
i have the 15 grizzly with knives and it cost me 1200 bucks, but it also came with a 6 inch joiner and 17 inch bandsaw. ;D

Now THAT was a SALE!!!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Busy Beaver Lumber

Another vote for the Grizzly 15" with spiral cut head. I also have the Grizzly 6" jointer with spiral cut head. They are both excellent machines and plane as smooth as glass. Watch for their sales, because I got the planner for $1200 with free shipping around this time of year 2 years ago.
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

SwampDonkey

I have had a straight knife 12" Trademaster, for 20 years. I rebuilt it last year because a bearing seized and burnt up the motor. I was a little lax on giving the bearings a good shot of lubricant every once in awhile. Other than that I can't complain one bit. It's not a production planer by any means, but I'm not in a race. It gets done when it gets done. I sand everything with good quality sandpaper so a mark here and there disappears. It's 1/3 of the price the spiral head guys are on about. I'll keep my planer. I've never replaced a knife. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ironwood

I should alos mention the OLD Oliver 399 planer, it is an 18" and are VERY nice. Oliver has quite a following so usually not found cheaply, but it has happened once or twice ;)

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

petefrom bearswamp

I have a Dodo bird (Bridgewood) 20" planer with the spiral head.
Quite similar to the Grizzly as i looked at both before i bought.
Was sold on the supposed less power required, which was a fallacy and the less noise which is very true.
After i upgraded to a 10 HP 3 phase motor the unit worked OK, but still need to feed at low feed speed with quite  a  thin cut.
I am sure the Grizz will be OK.
Can't complain with the finish on my machine.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

sealark37

Depending on your time frame and your mechanical ability,  I would take some time to find an older model of the known brands.  If you aren't that wild about repairing old stuff, I would look at the Grizzly with the spiral head.  If you have three phase power, or can make it, it works better than the single phase stuff.  Regards, Clark :)

flip

Here is my .02.  I have a 20" Griz with straight blades and the 3 blade Dewalt 13" and never have the right planer when I need it.  A lot of the table tops I make are 20"+ which will not fit through the Griz.  This means plane, joint, glue, plane, joint, glue, sand the seam and hope it comes out well.  If you have the room and dust collection I would go with a 13" and a 24".  I know that really kills the budget but if you are going to get serious about woodworking being able to run a whole top through the planer really cuts down on time.  FWIW, I snagged a 12" jointer off craigs list cause the 8" is too small.  Bigger is better when possible.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

wheelinguy

I know that its starting to sound like the record is skipping, but i have a 15" grizzly and it has never failed me.  From a one inch board to a fifteen incher nothing really slows it down, except for the little knob on the side that lets me select the speed.  Look around they can be had cheap.  Another good site to check is allofcraigs.com , it will let you search all of craigslist in the u.s. at once!

logboy

Another broken record.  I bought a straight knife 20" Grizzly to replace my small portable 2 speed Delta 12". A couple years later I paid the extra $900 and changed the cutter head over to a spiral. I will never buy another straight knife machine, only spiral. Better finish, very low noise (you dont even need earplugs), and easier on the motor.
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Thank You Sponsors!