iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

english walnut

Started by Greg, July 11, 2005, 03:17:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

About 6 or 7 years ago I purchased two different varieties of english/carpathian walnuts mail order from Stark Brothers. Both were grafted onto common root stock, and planted along our driveway int he front yard. We're in southern Ohio.

They grew slowly but steadily, and one of which produced a first drop a dozen or so delicious nuts last year. About 15 to 20'

A week ago, the leaves on the tree closest to the house started to yellow a bit. By Friday 80 to 90% were brown. Today the entire tree is bare. By all observation the tree is dead! I may leave it there on some odd chance it will sprout next year.

What might cause an otherwise healthy walnut to drop its leaves and die in the middle of the summer. Weather has been a little dry, temps normal, but nothing too out of the ordinary? I had seen ZERO leaf damage due to insects, a few of the twig undersides were damaged from last years cicadas. The other english walnut, right next to it looks perfect ???

Seven years down the drain... Just when I hoped to start getting some decent nut crops ;-( Any thoughts? Thanks,

Greg

Frank_Pender

I would surely check with your extension service.  Out here I would think it might well be black line, which is a disease I understand that enters through the branches. :'(
Frank Pender

Ron Scott

Yes, check with your local Extension Service and/or Conservation District Forester for awareness to the local situation.  :P
~Ron

populus

Not to sound like a broken record, but I suggest you contact a local arborist with skills in diagnosis. A good arborist will generally know local disease and insect situations better than a county agent. Yes you have to pay, but if you value the second tree, it is certainly worthwhile. The most experienced arborists are Consulting Arborists, members of the American Society of Consulting Arborists (ASCA).

Now, I have to confess that I am a consulting arborist and an ASCA member. But in my experience, these folks really know their stuff and are worth the money.

Thank You Sponsors!