iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber grading classes all Mi species of wood?

Started by raycoinhound, June 02, 2022, 11:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raycoinhound

the upcoming grading courses covers all species of wood  IE pine cedar hemlock oak et al? Please answer if you have taken this course or who I can contact! thanks Ray MI forest products only!

Don P

Can you post a link to the class?

Basically the grading rules are the same whether I am looking at pine or oak. The grade corresponds to allowable strengths for each species that are listed. Not all species have listed strength values.

Jeff

I think you need to be a bit more specific so we have some sort of idea what you are talking about.  You wont find cedar or hemlock being covered in a Michigan hardwood grading course if that is the question.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

raycoinhound

I am trying to find out if all species of wood get taught how to grade  to building codes in Michigan courses that certify you as a certified lumber grader course starts in august! Ray

Don P

Without a link... I did a quick search and only came up with NHLA hardwood grading classes. If that is the case that is not grading for construction, it is grading for appearance, for furniture, cabinets, etc

beenthere

Not really for appearance, but for certain percentage of clear cuttings of minimum sizes for the different grades.

There are appearance grades for softwoods. (and some for hardwoods)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

stavebuyer

I agree with Don that NHLA grades for hardwoods are based on appearance and are based on the % of clear wood. 

Thank You Sponsors!