iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Scarlet oak

Started by Edwardjohn, June 03, 2022, 06:31:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edwardjohn

Hey all quick evaluation
I have 10 acres in WVA hasn't to my knowledge been logged in 50 years
Was told by a relative that it was full of scarlet oak and wasn't worth logging. I appreciate any and all informative help on this subject. Ed

WDH

It tends to grow on poorer upland dry sites and can be more limby than most oaks so the lumber grade is not usually as good.  Not one of the better quality oaks from a lumber quality standpoint on many sites.  However, it can be a very nice tree on a good site.  Not sure what your situation is. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Edwardjohn

Thanks,
It’s old family land and my family wants to sell the land off, I thought it would be worth logging first. The land is on a mountain side which also has its issues. 

Ron Scott

The property should sell quicker and at a higher value/acre with the mountain side timber left uncut. Potential buyers will be willing to pay more for the scarlet oak aesthetic and landscape values retained.
~Ron

JBlain

100% agree with Ron.  If you sell it advertise mature oak trees.  I would say steep slopes plus low value oak, scarlet usually sells for a significant discount to red, white and chestnut oak, you will come out well on top selling it as a mature forest.  If it was a loaded with high hardwoods or would be more of a consideration.  
Josh

Edwardjohn

Thanks all
I had a chance to walk about one acre of the property. I and my brother were unhappy at the sight of stumps which were 30" and up in diameter, the land was logged in the past, all the trees I saw standing were 12" at the base (circumference). A variety of hardwoods and not a pine tree in sight. 

Ron Scott

Though the property is only 10 acres, you might want to have the local Conservation District forester, or a consulting forester look at the property for a recommendation on its timber management.
~Ron

Edwardjohn

Thanks Ron
That's the plan as of now, just trying to get the calendar cleared up a bit. 

Thank You Sponsors!