iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What's with these vines?

Started by ohsoloco, December 13, 2004, 04:28:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

Over the past few months I've had some more time to wander around in my woods, and now that the leaves are off the trees it's much easier to see that there are a lot of vines growing from the floor up into my trees.  Some of these vines are over 4" in diameter.  Not sure what they are exactly, but most go waaay up into the tops of my trees.  Question is, should I be doing anything to these, like severing the vine at the ground?  

Stephen_Wiley

Yikes...................... ???

Around here, vines with no leaves climbing up trees this time of year are most likely 'Poison Oak'.

IFn ya loose your immunity to em............your in for a bad case of the itches.s.s.s.s.s.s.s.s

More information would be helpful for identification.  Can you post any pics?

" If I were two faced, do you think I would be wearing this one?"   Abe Lincoln

Texas Ranger

do the vines have "roots" holding them to the stem of the tree, or are they free hanging?
 ???
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kirk_Allen

I don't recall what vines we have around here but they are as you descibed...........BIG.

We cut them every chance we can at the ground.  If let go they will choke off a trees tops and kill the tree according to our state forester.

When we go on a walk through the woods we always bring a machete and whack every one we see.

leweee

Vines are to trees like weeds are to crops. Direct competition for light & nutrients. In our area we have two main types Grape & Virgina  Creeper. If you want  to grow timber, you got  to cut some vines. As part of woodlot management & bio-diversity, we sever them every two years. It don't kill'em ,just sets them back & gives the trees a chance to get ahead. ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ron Wenrich

Most likely its grape.  Cut it.  

Bittersweet is starting to get to be a big problem in my area.  Ornamental gone wild and hard to contol.  It has a green vine, but I haven't seen it that big.

Poison ivy and virginia creeper stay attached to the tree, in most cases.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

hosslog

I would guess wild grapes.CUT THEM. Besides killing the trees they make it down right dangerous to cut the trees.  If that is in the plans. The vines will grow from top to top tying the trees together so when the trees are cut you'll have trouble getting them down. When they do come down the vines tend to pull branches from places you least expect.

ohsoloco

When I had the pup out to play fetch this morning did notice one small vine that has attatched itself to the trunk of a tree with little "roots", but this isn't the vine I'm talking about.  Some of them are a few feet or more from a tree, and they twist about and then run right up the tree, but are free hanging.  Almost clocked myself in the head with one of those four inchers after cutting it off  :(    Can't really see the foliage of the vines, since they don't "leaf out" (?) until the tops of the trees, but they have flaky "bark" on 'em which is kinda brown, and I wanna say it's reddish underneath, but I'd have to wander up and take another look to be positive about that.  Sounds like they should all be cut no matter what they are.  

Phorester

Your last description sounds like grapevines, ohsoloco.  Everybody that said cut'em are right for growing timber.

But........, if you're interested in wildlife you might want to leave a couple growing.  Wild grapes are an excellent food source for lots of wildlife species.  One wildlife management recommendation is to encourage these natural grape arbors by cutting neighboring junk trees that are shading out the grapevines. The extra sunlight produces more grapes. Another thing you can do is to girdle the tree with the vine, so the tree leaves no longer shade out the vine, just the opposite that you want to do for timber production.

Another technique is to fell the tree with the vines into a neighboring tree, so the neighboring tree will support it.  You don't have to sever it from the stump, just lean it into the tree next to it.  That not only gives more growing space for the vine since it can now grow into the next tree, but also opens up the vine to more sunlight, since felling the tree with the vine creates more sunlight from the opening created by the tree now leaning instead of standing straight up. If the vines are growing on a junk tree anyway, you might want to encourage them.

I have my hard hat on for all the rocks I know are gonna come my way......

beenthere

Phorester
 ;D IMO you deserve the 'rocks'.  ;D  I be lookin' for one now.

But, doesn't sound like a safe way to purposely leave the woods, with a tree hanging up in another.  :)  

But I've heard other management plans just as far out (IMO). One in Oregon where the USFS would cut two perfectly good trees (per acre, if I remember correctly) to lay on the ground to rot, just to be friendly to the needs of the ground to have rotting wood. That was in addition to the 'den' trees left standing. Not sure much of anything actually was removed to pay for the logger to even be there doing the work. I recall when the forester explained that management plan, the gasps from the enviro's that were there from CA were quite noticeable. He explained it was there ilk that caused that plan to be designed that way.
Now, this is just my opinion and slant on what I think the trees in the forests are for, certainly not what everyone thinks.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

ohsoloco

Took another walk up there today before work, and now that you've all mentioned wild grapes, they do look a lot like the grape vines my dad planted years ago.  Those things really have a hold on those trees, I could swing on em like Tarzan  :D

rebocardo

What I have noticed in GA is if the tree is heavily covered in vines, there is nothing you can really do because a lot of the vines's root system is unseen under the bark and the tree looks like swiss cheese from the roots under the bark. Vines are the start of a bug infestation that can spread to other tree.

If you are going to chop them, take out a good three to four inch chunk at the bottom of the tree and then peel the vine away from the lower part of the tree and above the cut. I am for spraying the bottom with Round Off or a good weed killer.

cutterboy

ohsoloco, those grape vines are really strong. A few years ago I cut through a 12" ash tree. The tree fell off the stump but it didn't fall down. It just swung around this way, then swung around that way, back and forth. All the while I was running for my life, first this way then that way  then finally out of range. Then I saw that a grape vine had grown up the tree next to the one I cut and somehow jumped over to that tree and now was holding it up. I had to cut the other tree down to get the first one to fall. I would never leave a tree hanging or leaning on another just to grow some DanG wild grapes! Now I cut every vine I can find.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

KENROD

From your description they are wild grape. I would cut them if they are growing in your saw timber. However, I do like to leave some growing for wild life. They are deffinulty a hazard when logging, but they can be delt with if your keep yer eyes open and know there their. Besides they make great jelly and home made wine (if ya kin find some ya kin reach). ;)

leweee

Wildlife..... making wine... I get it ??? ::) ;D
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

Ed_K

I do a lot of Timberstand Improvement. A yr ago I did an 80 acre piece of nothing but cutting grapevine. The largest stem was 10". My forester said it would be 7 to 10 yrs before the piece will be safe for a timberharvest. Its ready to cut now with big DBH timber  :(. I hate thinking of the wait  >:(. Theres not many jobs I do where we leave the vines, but I do some.
 We have real problems with Bittersweet & Virginia Creaper too. Some have to be cut and then followed up with roundup to kill it.
 Don't drink the water from the grape vine if you cut during summer, it'll just make you thirstier  ::).
Ed K

Phorester

Whoa, boys, yer getting the wrong idea about my idea of leaving & managing a few grapevines in your woods!   I expected the rocks to be thrown because I suggested leaving the vines, not because of cutting trees.

First, I didn't feel I had to go into every nuance about cutting trees safely. First rule of cutting trees is you should only do something you are comfortable doing. If somebody is leery of the safety about cutting a particular tree for whatever reason, grapevines included, then of course don't do it. If it scares you to cut a tree down, you shouldn't be doing it.

Cutterboy, you didn't cut that tree to manage grapevines, you cut it for some other reason. You'd done it differently if you were cutting it to manage that vine.   Notice I recommend leaving the tree attached to the stump,  to prevent it swinging like yours did.  But....., if it ain't safe, don't do it.

The fellow I saw demonstrate this used a wedge to guide the grapevine tree into it's neighbor. Directional felling. He left the hinge intact.  Felled the tree by knocking in the wedge with a sledge hammer. The treetop just laid gently into its neighbor about 15 feet away and stayed there, still attached solidly to its stump and hung up almost vertical solidly into the other tree.  It was also only about 12" diameter and maybe 40 feet tall. It wasn't a towering fat sawtimber tree. Dangerous to leave?  Not in that particular location.  Some locations it would be a risk.  So you don't do it there.  Also, there's leaning trees all over the woods here anyway because of drought, gypsy moth, and pine bark beetle mortality.  Landowners don't walk through the woods cutting every leaner down. They stay away from them until they fall on their own.

My point was that there's good reasons to leave a few grapevines alive in your woods, and for the people who want to, there's ways you can increase their output of grapes. You're exactly right about safety. And I also recommend they be cut off every good quality potentially high value tree.   Leave'em only only on the junk trees.

Ron Scott

Yes, use Integrated Resource Management (IRM) as Phorester said. Remove the grape vines from quality trees for timber stand improvement, but leave some for wildlife to maintain a diversity of habitat on the area.
~Ron

Larry

Cut them grape vines on the crop trees and spray with RTU Toredon.  Seems like grape vines really like hanging on the walnuts.

I keep a little cheat sheet around that I use in the timber to manage for the critters.  Some of the things I'm supposed to look for are den trees, grape vines, forbs, fruit trees, and etc.  Give each one a score and compute the result.  Just wondering if this is what you guys are calling IRM?  
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

redpowerd

larry, your cheat sheet sounds interesting, got a little more detail?

whenever i cut a tree with a vine, i allways yank the vine out of the tree with a chain or cable, good and long. too short and it gets dangerous, swinging and snapping branches.
then you got a mess of vine all over, better than not knowing what the tree will do when it falls. wifey likes to tie them up into wreaths, anyway.
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Ianab

You think you got vines  :D

The original host tree is long dead and slowly rotting out from inside the rata vines.

The original vine is now a tree in it's own right and will probably live on for several hundred years after the host rimu is gone.

Pictures from Egmont National Park - NZ

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ohsoloco

You just keep them vines down there   ;)  Took a walk in the woods this afternoon with the pup, and I had my handsaw with me so I could cut some more of these vines.  Seems like for every vine I cut, I look around and see ten more that need done  :-/  If they're not very big I can pull them out of the tree, but those big'uns aren't going anywhere.  The only big one that broke on me was the one I decided to swing from...it dropped me when I was about 8-10 feet off the ground  :D

SwampDonkey

Salal is another vine with berries similar to virginia creeper. If you ever tried to cruise timber on Vancouver Island or the Queen Charlotte Islands you'll become real familiar with this vine. Its like a jungle in places and you can't even walk through the dang stuff. They creep up the trees and intertwine, what a nightmare. They are mostly in more open cedar and lodgepole pine woods that are quite damp and wet. They are also evergreen and the leaves are thick and leathery, green above, red below.

We also have the virginia creeper invading our area, its not a native plant in my province and usually was planted around old houses that have been abandoned on old farms.

In alders groves we have a species of climatis, which is also woody, but no bigger than an inch in diameter I think. It has white blooms and not as colorful as the cultivated ones folks grow on tralluses.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

OSOLOCO, you need to figure out how to make money off those grapevines. Lots of money.  Every week.  Then after you got dependent on the new income, everyone of'em would die on ya.

leweee

Think Christmas wreathes....Too Late ....never mind ::)
next year  cut & salvage the yearling ones for wreath foundations ::)

Thank You Sponsors!