iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Boots

Started by clueless, March 21, 2018, 09:51:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clueless

Hopefully someone on this forum can answer this question.
I'll be spending some time walking around the Tehachapi pass off trail in tall grass. I need a pair of hiking boots/shoes that are rattlesnake proof that I can pair with gaiters, I will be walking up to a few miles in these so they need to be somewhat comfortable. I've seen a similar question asked before on this board and was hoping I could get a good answer. And yes I know that rattlesnakes would rather avoid me than encounter me but I would like to be prepared. Cheaper is better as they won't see too much use, probably a few times a year.

Thanks!

Texas Ranger

I wear Magnums, dont know if the are still available.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

starmac

What kind of real boots are not rattlesnake proof??
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

Blue Noser

Quote from: clueless on March 21, 2018, 09:51:04 PM
I'll be spending some time walking around the Tehachapi pass off trail in tall grass. I need a pair of hiking boots/shoes that are rattlesnake proof that I can pair with gaiters, I will be walking up to a few miles in these so they need to be somewhat comfortable. I've seen a similar question asked before on this board and was hoping I could get a good answer. And yes I know that rattlesnakes would rather avoid me than encounter me but I would like to be prepared. Cheaper is better as they won't see too much use, probably a few times a year.

Thanks!
You can't go wrong with the army "desert boots". Light, supportive, cheap, comfortable.

Texas Ranger

oh yeah , alternate boots for me are Redwings.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

Your favorite comfy boot with snake proof gaiters like the Rattlers brand

dgdrls

I try not to be Thrifty on boots.

I can only speak from owning the brand
Look to Chippewa for a Snake boot

or these rate highly with the US Border Service and USFS
Crack Shot Snake Guardz

D

clueless

Wow thanks guys, I got a lot more feedback than expected will have to look into these

clueless

Quote from: Blue Noser on March 22, 2018, 07:11:44 AM

Thanks!
You can't go wrong with the army "desert boots". Light, supportive, cheap, comfortable.
I'll have to look in to those, if they are good enough for the military their probably good for me. I'm sure they walk farther than me and encounter much worse terrain! Should be plenty thick too, any suggested sources to buy them from. Wouldn't want a fake pair.

clueless

The danner reckoning 8" coyote non-metallic toe seem to fit my criteria but are a bit pricey. Anything similar for less?

Blue Noser

Quote from: clueless on March 22, 2018, 10:17:09 PM
Quote from: Blue Noser on March 22, 2018, 07:11:44 AM

Thanks!
I'll have to look in to those, if they are good enough for the military their probably good for me. I'm sure they walk farther than me and encounter much worse terrain! Should be plenty thick too, any suggested sources to buy them from. Wouldn't want a fake pair.
I'm not sure where you are located. In my neck of the woods we can purchase them from Army Surplus stores. You can often find new or gently used pairs for $50 or less.

clueless

No surplus stores, have to get them online

clueless

Robot Check

something similar to the military boots I can get online, a little pricey but you guys think this is a good choice? Rattlesnake proof? Will it keep out ticks? Comfortable walker?
I'm pretty sure Belleville is one of the manufactures for the military boot, so it should be similar quality correct?

clueless

BTW the robot check thing is a link to the boots,

Thank You Sponsors!