iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oversize cant hook source?

Started by AJ, October 14, 2003, 03:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AJ

Hi All,

Does anyone know where I could buy a cant hook that will handle 24" or larger logs?  I've got a couple of Dixie hooks, but it's difficult to get a bite on larger logs because of the angle of the hook.  Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks,

Andy

Tobacco Plug

I know what you mean about those cant hooks.  Have you tried heating the hook and widening the angle?
How's everybody doing out in cyberspace?

Captain

Click on the Peterson box to the left and contact Rex about the Rhino Hook.  It's about the biggest I've seen.  I see no pix on the site but maybe Jake can help us out....

CAPTAIN

pappy

AJ,

These folks have been making cant hooks for around 145 years.  

http://www.peaveymfg.com/

They have just about anything you need to handle logs plus. ;D
"And if we live, we shall go again, for the enchantment which falls upon those who have gone into the woodland is never broken."

"Down the Allagash."  by; Henry Withee

Ianab

Here's some pics of my Rhino hook
The hook on the left is fixed while the one on the right swivels open for different sized logs, and has a spring to help it clamp back onto the log
It works good  :)

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Captain

AJ

Thanks guys,

I'll contact Rex at Peterson and get some more info from him.

AJ

Minnesota_boy

I couldn't hook the larger logs with my cant hook, so I bought a new one that could.  Now I can hook them, but I still can't roll them because they are too heavy.  The volume of the log goes up as a square of the diameter, so at larger sizes, the small change in diameter can have a dramatic increase in the weight.  Now I just get out the winch and use that to roll the logs.  Beyond that capacity, I use my truck to roll them.  Beyond that..........???
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

oakiemac

Hey  Ianab,
Does that Rino can hook work good? What is the approximate cost?
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Ianab

Hi Oakie

Yeah the Rhino hook works good, well as good as anything that relies on muscle power to move logs  ::)
We have been dragging logs to the mill with a small 4x4 and rolling them onto the bunks with the hook. Anything too big to manhandle we will take the mill to it and set up around the log
Cost here in NZ is about NZ$180, dont know what exchange rate and freight would do to it though ???

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!