iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawed up some really nice walnut and maple this week.

Started by 123maxbars, September 10, 2016, 04:52:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

123maxbars

I put some nice figured maple and crotch walnut logs on the mizer this week.

Got some great results from both of them. I had my camera as usual and made two videos showing the process.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUsOkI4nWQ0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYSuF6csWGE
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

SineWave

Really nicely done videos, thanks for posting them up.

Question: Is that walnut green, or dry? If it's green, do you need to coat the end grain with something like Anchorseal to try to minimize checking? Also, is it better to cut up lumber when green, or dry?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I don't have a mill yet and I'm just learning the basics.

Also -- what was that hose between the engine and the alternator that you were moving around? Some kind of blower?

Thanks again. That walnut should make some nice furniture and/or gun stocks.

WDH

I know that the Commandment says that thy shall not covet, but I covet your walnut logs  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Max, I really, really enjoyed your videos. Perfect presentation and very nice slabs.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

mart

Nice videos. I'm jealous. All I get to saw is birch, spruce and cottonwood. Not a lot of variety up here.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

123maxbars

Quote from: SineWave on September 10, 2016, 05:31:53 PM
Really nicely done videos, thanks for posting them up.

Question: Is that walnut green, or dry? If it's green, do you need to coat the end grain with something like Anchorseal to try to minimize checking? Also, is it better to cut up lumber when green, or dry?

Sorry for the basic questions, but I don't have a mill yet and I'm just learning the basics.

Also -- what was that hose between the engine and the alternator that you were moving around? Some kind of blower?

Thanks again. That walnut should make some nice furniture and/or gun stocks.

That small hose is the oil plug,
It was green timber, I coat all my ends as soon as I harvest the tree.

Welcome to the forum!
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: WDH on September 10, 2016, 08:24:13 PM
I know that the Commandment says that thy shall not covet, but I covet your walnut logs  :).

Haha slabs like that are very hard to sale. I hate letting go of them!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

123maxbars

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on September 10, 2016, 08:45:30 PM
Max, I really, really enjoyed your videos. Perfect presentation and very nice slabs.

Thanks, I put a lot into the filming of them. Sometimes I turn around and don't have as productive of a day cause I spend most of the time cleaning saw dust off my lenses.

I appreciate the feedback!
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

teed

Nice work, and you now haw one more subscriber on youtube  :)
On my homestead, I mill with.
Logosol B1001 bandsaw mill
Woodland mill HM122 bandsaw mill
Logosol F2 with Speedsaw E5 chainsaw mill
Logosol Farmers with Stihl MS391 and MS661

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!