iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

blade diving

Started by delvis, July 13, 2012, 10:58:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

delvis

Hello there, Wondering if anyone has any thoughts on a question of mine.  Last November, my father and I bought a brand new Woodmizer LT40HD.  We went for most of the bells and whistles except the diesel engine.  Before this mill I owned a Timber Harvester.  The WM is incredible in speed, precision, and accuracy.  The question I have concerns blade dive in knotty softwood.  I don't remember seeing nearly as much of that on the old mill as I have with this one.  We switched from a 10 degree hook angle to a 7 and the mill seems to have more than ample power to run the blade.  (39 horse Kohler)  The 7 degree blades make a huge difference, but I still see more blade diving in knotty pine than I care to.  Even in narrow cants.  The blades are 1-1/4, .045, 7/8 pitch.  We have tried to stay on top of our alignment(s) and proper blade tension as WM is now recommending much more tension than they did at one time.  Anyone have these same issues and how have you dealt with them?

Thanks, Mike
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Delvis, Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I have an LT40 HD G28.
I run my blades at 2800 PSI
I use the 10 degree blade.

I saw ALOT of knotty Pine
When I saw good clear Pine, I can "walk the dog".
When I am sawing knotty Pine, I do slow down a bit. I keep my eye on the cant at all times when sawing knotty Pine and as I come up on a knot, I will slow down a bit as I go through it and then pick up speed after I exit the knot. I don't see as much as a dip with a brand new sharp blade....speed is the answer. Be sure to move your blade guide in closer to the cant, that helps also. Also make sure your blade is clean from sap build up.

All in all, I have a pretty nice board doing this. Sawing knotty lumber, you will tend to have a little dip if you don't slow your speed down accordingly.
All band mills will show a little dip, if you exceed the 55 mph speed limit, that's why it's called "Rough Cut Lumber".  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

delvis

Thank you for the welcome.  I actually joined three years ago but never got around to posting until being reminded of the forum through a WM publication. 

I think the extra horsepower engine may actually be part of the problem.  It allows for some pretty fast feed rates and in the knotty pine that if I go too fast it shows. 
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I went through the same thing when I got my WOODMIZER.
I couldn't get anything right.  say_what
I soon found out, it was not the mill but the "LOOSE NUT BEHIND THE MILL".  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Buck

Lots of "us" loose nuts out here ;D Welcome!
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

ladylake

Try a 4* blade with good set, that should do better but as mentioned we tend to feed knotty pine too fast.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

Keep in mind that there is changes in the density of the wood when sawing through the knots and it will make a blade do some funny things. There is also changes in the grain that is going to have effect on the blade. Welcome to the forum. Where are you located?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

terrifictimbersllc

Knotty softwoods are here to remind us we are only human.  :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Chuck White

I think pretty-much everything was described by David in his post!

The only other thing I can think of would be a dull blade!

Change your blades a little sooner than normal!

I don't think there is a blade made that you can just "zip" right through knotty wood!

I saw mostly pine, but yesterday I had 5 or 6 Spruce logs in the pile and was reminded that the knots are "still" hard.  I cut my feed speed to about half and kept the tension and lube up and sawed out some pretty nice boards!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

Since you have been here for a while, I'll say Welcome to Posting.

If you are properly aligned and the blade is running parallel to the bed rails, the only thing that I can add is that entering the log from the small end will minimize knot wave.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bandmiller2

Sometimes dispite your best efforts you will get the "wave" opening up a knotty log.Take a slow corrective cut and don't let it ruin your day. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ladylake

You made a big improvement with a 7* blade,  a 4* should do even better. Last time sawing wide spruce a brand new 10* blade looked like the ocean on a windy day, 4* went straight.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

bandmiller2

What Steve says is true,hook angle has alot to do with wave.Compare to a wood chisel push it  along a board at angle say 10* back it will tend to dig in and vary with the hardness of the wood.At 4* it acts more like a scraper and has little tendency to dig in and less affected by hard/soft such as knots.Less hook tends to make a manual mill harder to feed and uses more HP.Theirs no free ride in this old world. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ely

in knotty pine my manual mill will dive, i guess any mill will dive for that matter. mine dives because the sap from the knots builds up on the outside blade guide roller , in order to counter this action i turn the soapy water mixture up a few notches until the sap goes away, when that fails to do the trick, i turn the water off and use my squirt can of oil mixture on the blade as i saw. a couple squirts every couple feet or so will get me thru the toughest pine knots.
its the same oil i use on the rail wiper pads,50-50 bar oil and kerosene.

delvis

I have thought about trying the 4 degree blade but wanted to make sure my engine will handle it.  I have the Kohler 39 horse.  I love the extra power but I think it makes it easy to oversaw a blade, especially one that is dull.  Thank you all for the welcome and the advice.  Look for the next question soon.  Lol.

ladylake

39hp is plentyfor any hook angle you want to run.   Steve

Thank You Sponsors!