Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Beards

Started by Ron Wenrich, March 26, 2006, 09:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Wenrich

Poll expires 4-10-06

How many of you guys are brothers of the brush?  Or is it just the fuzzy few?  There's even answers there for the ladies.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tom

I've been bearded since 1968.

Ft. Pierce had a festival called Sandy Shoes.  One of the items was a beard contest. I decided to grow a beard.  While I didn't win anyhthing but an honorable mention, I became known as "that newspaper photographer with the beard".  People would ask the News Paper to send me.  I rather enjoyed being recognized for anything and decided to keep it.  Twice or thrice, I've shaved it off, just to see what I look like, and immediately grew it back.  My wife has personally threatened me if I shave it for good.   I have tried to explain that I need to know what I look like and I think she has bought into that.  How long it will be before I do it again, I don't know.  :D

pigman

I start a beard every day. 8) The next day I shave it off and start another one.  I did have a beard three times. One in 1975 when my wife was with our first child.  I shaved it off the day our child was born. Had another in 1977 when my wife was expecting our second child. Shaved it off when she delivered. Had another beard and child in 1982. Had another child in 1984 but no beard, I just could not stand the beard in the summer heat. That was the only fall child we had.
It got to the place people knew when my wife was pregnant before we told them. ::)  I did fool them on the last one though. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

WH_Conley

Winter and summer, hope this worked
Bill

DanG

I haven't seen my face in 25 years, and I'm scared to look now! ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

pigman

Bill, one of those pictures made you look ten years younger than the other one, but I am not going to tell you which one. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

JimBuis

Do I have a beard?  You betcha!!  Just the way God intended! ;D ;D
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Brad_S.

You can tell the poll was formatted by a beard wearer. What's up with grouping 'too much peach fuzz' with the 'never had one' choice?  >:(:D
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

jon12345

I know a few guys who wear one during hunting season until they get their first buck, I would,but I either had a female friend who objected or didn't have the means to.  Now that it comes in a little thicker I might try it.  Usually I shave thuogh because it starts to itch or I think about how bad it'll be to shave if it gets too long.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

chet

Gee this sounds too much like Pigman  :o  Started da first one in '73 when da wife was pregnant with our first child, (she weren't to thrilled with da idea ta say da least). When after da birth of our first son, I told her I was gonna go home and shave, she informed me if I shaved it off don't come back.   8)  I've had it ever since.   :D
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sawguy21

I had one for a while until I had my driver's licence pic taken. Looked like I just got out of jail.  ::) I don't feel clean unless I shave now.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SPIKER

I shaved 2 times a day when I was in basic training & at least daily after then untill the day I got out of the military, and left it grow for next 3 years.  same with the hair, I do shave it off in summer but only shave one or two times a week or on special occosions.   usually only trim it up in winter to keep it less stragly.  started growing the first beard in 10th grade and graduated having a full beard that would make most 30 something guys look shamefull ;)

that mine is VERY dark & grows fast.  (ok latly there are these red & silver wild hairs growing where they used to be all black, but age makes em go._   the hair hasn't been CUT in about 10 + years, it gets a trimming and has been long enough to tuck into the belt in back.   the new job the humidity and heat is a killer working in a china mfg plant 40+ hrs a wek.   this spring it is all comming off. back to the military flat top I had way back when.   not unusuall for me to get 20+" of hair cut off at once though.   last spring I cut off my beard late may and had enough of the heat then too...

mark M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

leweee

When I grow up I wanna look just like DanG smiley_old_guy 8) 8) 8)
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

breederman

I had a beard for a lot of years.  When the twins were five or six years old, one of them saw our wedding pictures when I had no beard, and asked"mommy, how come you married uncle Wayne?" :D :D
I cut it off about ten years ago when I thought I wanted a different job.Turns out the only one I interviewed for was at Mount Vernon as an animal handler/interperter,did not get the job.. probably because I had no beard! :D
Together we got this !

Captain

No beard, Fire Department Regulations with SCBA....

Captain

Nova

Ron, what about winter vs summer??  Like several others, on after Labour day and, voila, 10 years younger sometime in March.
...No one cares how much you know until they know how much you care...John Maxwell

tnlogger

I started mine in june of 73 when I got my DD214 and havn't shaved to this day  ;D
gene

Corley5

I usually quit shaving sometime in October and have the results sheared in February or March.  Whenever it starts to annoy me  ;D :)  I can't stand one in weather that's much over freezing  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

crtreedude

My beard can qualify as steel wool - therefore my lovely bride does not like it. It grows really fast too - 2 weeks and I have a beard - complete, no holes.

Just call me wolfman...

I am only 47, but especially down here where white hair is rare, if I grow a beard, they think I have one foot in the grave, and most of the other.

Full beard and long hair I would substitute for Gandalf just fine.

But I hate shaving. So, I usually just shave twice a week - whether I need it or not!

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Paschale

I've had a beard of some sort since 1994...never shaved it off completely.  I remember some guys in college telling me they doubted I could actually grow one when I started...took it as a challenge, and kept with it.  Usually just have a goatee.  The girlfriend likes it that way, so I'm keeping it.   ;D

Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

TexasTimbers

Neopolitan Man. That's what I was called when I ran with a beard and 'stache. My head hair was very blond. My beard and mustache were reddish blonde. The rest of the hair on my body was black. 
I don't look good in beard and/or mustache. Or maybe you could say i look "worse" in them.  :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Bro. Noble

I had a 'beatnick' goatee back in the 60's for one winter 8) 8) 8)

Had a full beard the first winter we milked ;D

I finally decided that Mr. Clean is right when he was commenting to me about this thread:  "can't see any sense in cultivating something on my face that grows wild around my ***" :D :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

TexasTimbers

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

JimBuis

Quote from: crtreedude on March 27, 2006, 08:54:49 AM
My beard can qualify as steel wool - therefore my lovely bride does not like it. It grows really fast too - 2 weeks and I have a beard - complete, no holes.
. . . . . . But I hate shaving. So, I usually just shave twice a week - whether I need it or not!

I have kept my beard all of these years primarily for two reasons.  One is my wife insists that I KEEP my beard as it is much softer when it is grown out.  The other is that I REALLY hate shaving.  My whiskers grow in almost flat with my skin, so my skin used to always be raw and sore.  I don't have that problem any more.  Most of the time, I don't even realize that I have a beard unless I look at myself in the mirror.

In general, my life is much more pleasant with a beard.  Of course, I don't spend nearly as much money on shaving cream and razors.  I'm saving all of that money toward a sawmill.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Qweaver

WARNING :o  Before I bought a sawmill, I spent my winters in south Texas and wore my hair crew-cut and had a small mustache only.

Now I freeze my butt off in WV and look at my hair. :D                              But I'm Happy! 8)

So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D