Main Menu

Sponsors:

Poll: Beards

Started by Ron Wenrich, March 26, 2006, 09:28:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minnesota_boy

I used to grow a beard each fall, telling my wife it was camoflage for bow hunting.  I quit for a few years, then decided to grow one for warmth while working a site in winter with little protection from the wind. 

One day I was in the store by myself when I met a lady pushing a cart with a youngster in the seat.  As they went by I heard the youngster ask momma, "Was that Santa?"  I decided that my beard was too white to use for camoflage anymore.  :D :D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

Ed_K

I'm with tnlogger, only it was 77  ;D
Ed K

wiam

Quote from: Captain on March 27, 2006, 06:52:57 AM
No beard, Fire Department Regulations with SCBA....

Captain

What Captain said,  and the wife likes it that way.

Will

KGNC

It seems like I can grow a bread in a long weekend. But it has gotten so gray that I just keep it shaved. Besides I worry that I look to much like Saddam Hussein!

Nailhead

Nearest I can remember, had one for about 30 years. If I came home clean shaven, my wife and daughter would not know me and my dog would bite me.
"The Constitution does not grant rights, it recognizes them."

Mr Mom

I dont shave if i dont have too.
     I dont go anywhere that is that important to shave.
     Now if i go to granmas that is the first thing i do.

Thanks Mr Mom

beenthere

Do it for your bride.  ;)

She is the most important one for you to impress.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sawguy21

KGNC, you should worry. The likeness is uncanny. :D :D :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

crtreedude

That is my other reason for shaving, the Ticos think I look like Osama...  :o
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Den Socling

My beard has been around for a long time.

A very long time.

I can't stand it long but I couldn't stand scraping my face every morning.  :D

old3dogg

Den.
You had black hair once? When was that? Back in the 40's? ;D

Just kidding buddy. At least you still have hair!

Den Socling

Hi Mike,

That black hair was only 30 years ago. 30 years!  :o

good to hear from you. It's coming onto summer. Are you coming to Pine Creek?

Den

old3dogg

Im going to try and hit Slate Run this year.

Im headed for Coal Township on April 19th.

May stop in for a visit if you are going to be around. I will have Vickie with me.

Den Socling

Mike,

We have a guest house across the creek for business visitors. You can use it if you like. just let me know the timing.

And I have a lot of customers who need a small amout of water treatment so you can call it a business trip.

Did anybody ever restart any of BWP's vac kilns?

Den

twoodward15

I'm with tnlogger and Ed K only it'll be another 28.5 years until I get my 214!!!
108 ARW   NKAWTG...N      Jersey Thunder

karl

Had a moustache for 34 years, 'sept for one Christmas- shaved it and "wife of the time" didn't even notice  until someone at a party told me I looked 14- haven't shaved it since ( 30 years) Marie thought I looked better with chin whiskers- no problem, don't like shaving that area anyway. Dad shaved every week(or two) "wheather it needs it or not", I am getting more like him every day........
"I ask for wisdom and strength, Not to be superior to my brothers, but to be able to fight my greatest enemy, myself"  - from Ojibwa Prayer.

Sprucegum

I do the Winter Beard routine.

One of the newguys at work was moonin' about when spring was gonna get here. Larry points at me and says

When that old guy shaves his beard off - its the first day of spring, happens every year  ;D

Lud

Beard and handlebars 30+ years.  Shaving while working in a dirty foundry with curly type meant I got a lot of "sideways"  ingrown hairs.   20-40 at a time. Pick 'em with a needle to get them to come out.  Beard sure is a lot easier.

Had it ever since.  Keep it short enough so it doesn't catch on stuff.

Starting to get that Santa noise....  Pretty Saleslady said I reminded her of Santa and I said I'm not that old or round!  She made a good save when she claimed it was because it was of the "twinkle in my eye" 8) 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

hiya

Mike, Den,  I'll be in slate run the end of june. The first cabin on left north of the store. Wifes dad helped build the cabin back in the 40's. I've been going there for the last 40 some years around the 4th. of July. Like to hear the lumbering stories about the area. Can still hear the old steam engines coming down the tracks.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Woodcarver

I grew a beard on impulse about 20 years ago.  Got comfortable with it and have had it ever since.

I have a good friend who has had a beard for as long as I have know him--about 30 years.  One day when I stopped at his home for a visit I saw a wedding picture of him without the beard.  I said so that's what you look like with out the whiskers.  He said his future mother-in-law told him he had to shave his beard for the wedding.  The night before the big day he shaved it off.  He had the beard when he first met his bride and she had never seen him without it.  When she saw him clean shaven on their wedding day she burst into tears.  She told him to grow it back and never shave it off.  Didn't like what she saw, I guess. He said he was glad he could blame it on his mother-in-law.  :)   
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

woodbeard

I am sure I have one, somewhere under all this sawdust.  :D
It should still be there- I've never shaved it.. ever!

DanG

George!  NEVER?! :o  Now that's a record to be proud of. :) :)

I seen a couple of pictures of ya.  Have ya ever even trimmed it? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

woodbeard

I used to keep it trimmed, but gave up on it years ago. Used to have real long hair as well. Now I keep the hair buzzed short and the beard long.

isawlogs

I have always had a beard , only shaved it a few times while working the high steel , because of shutdowns in the paper mills , would not let you in the gate if you had a beard , had something to do with oxigen mask or something in that matter . First time I shaved it was in the middle of Febuary , I did not know of the no beard policy got there in the morning and I would not be let in to work if I had a beard , went to the corner store and bought a rasor and started to shave ....  more like pulling the wiskers out one at a time  ::)  I dont recall a colder winter .  ;D
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

junkyard

Last time i shaved was in 73 when Mom died. Hadn't shaved for 6 years before that. Sister used clippers on me  first then the razor. Was my face tender. Shure itched while it was growing back.
Met  my wife 10 years before we got together that was the only time she ever saw me with out a beard. Son has only seen pictures of me bare faced he has a nice beard also. His is dark mine was red now grey.
                       Junkyard
If it's free, It's for me. If for pay, leave it lay.