iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

It looks confused.  smiley_dizzy

No way to get a log outta that!  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

Magicman, I have seen some of these with straight trunks that would make decent logs.  

The bark is smooth and has a red tint to it.  This particular tree is at Desoto Memorial in Bradenton, Florida within 100 yards of the Manatee River which flows into the south end of Tampa Bay. In the far background of the picture one might see red mangroves growing.

That Cajun dish that often includes okra is a hint to this tree's first name.  The second name reminds me of a word that loosely means being in a "state of undecidedness". 
Caveman

WDH

I am in limbo.  Never seen this one. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

caveman

Gumbo Limbo or Bursera simarubra.  It grows in south Florida, Cuba and the other islands over to Mexico and the Yucatan.  The wood has some construction uses but is evidently brittle, glue can be made from its sap, the leaves have some medicinal uses and the bark can be used to relieve rashes from plants that are in the poison oak and poison sumac family.

It is used some places as living fence posts as it roots easily from cuttings.  I may have to try growing some in pots the next time I get an opportunity to go to the coast.  

Danny, most of those trees we dug up at your place last July are alive and well in pots.  The jury is still out on the hophornbeam - not sure if it is going to make it or not.
Caveman

Don P

One can only hope that it does not make it if you're talking about Ostrya Virginiana, I pretty much keep the chainsaw idling on account of it. The deer don't much care for it and it squeezes out better trees. The wood although small is very reminiscent of hickory but probably a little less well behaved. I think it smells similar to hickory on the grill and isn't bad for planked fish. It decays at least as fast as hickory once down. It is a handsome little tree if it would stay down in numbers to a few per acre but that is not its habit. 

caveman

DonP, the hophornbeam are not numerous here.  I try to have at least one of everything on the dendro list for the FFA forestry contest close by.  North of here a little bit they are used as landscape trees some.
Caveman

caveman

Thursday's tree of the day.

This one should be familiar to many of you.  I have one of these growing in a pot as well.
Caveman

Don P

Ours are in bloom now, the largest tree in the eastern forest.

WDH

There were some huge ones growing at the Joyce Kilmer Memorial Forest. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

That is a very popular species that I saw quite often, but I haven's sawn any since....well a couple of weeks ago.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Southside

They can come in a rainbow of colors too, which can cause a sawyer much stress. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Texas Ranger

got one in my front yard
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

caveman

They are not too popular in my neck of the woods.
Caveman

Weekend_Sawyer

I'm getting ready to mill a couple of them.
They make great paneling, I just wish they would stay the color they start out as when you mill them.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Weekend_Sawyer

Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

sprucebunny

Why aren't they popular, Caveman ?

We don't have many up here but the first part of thier name is in flower :)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

btulloh

It takes two lips to say the name.
HM126

caveman

They do not seem to thrive here.  I do not know if it is the climate or the sandy soil.  
Caveman

caveman

The tree for today is coming to you a little late - I've been grilling pork, chicken, rib trimmings, potatoes and beans all day. 

Even though it has the corky growth, it is not juvenile sweetgum. It does have a lotta them. 
Caveman

btulloh

There's an elementary school next door.
HM126

Southside

Quote from: caveman on May 17, 2019, 03:04:48 PMThe tree for today is coming to you a little late

And a little blury...:D Were you Winged n' it with the chicken or Elm I out of focus too?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Winged Elm (Ulmus alata).  They get a little more challenging to i.d. when they do not have wings but the buds are not as big as American Elm's and the leaf petioles are shorter.  The leaves are also usually a little narrower from margin to margin compared to an American Elm of the same length.

Caveman

WDH

They are usually more scabrous than american elm which is normally smooth.

caveman

br> This tree of the day may be a little more challenging for some than yesterday's winged elm. It is compound, alternate and usually has 9-13 leaflets.  
Caveman

WDH

One of the pecan hickories. 

Thank You Sponsors!