iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logosol Big Mill Timber Jig

Started by Caloren, March 26, 2013, 06:03:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caloren

Anyone ever use one of these things?
Every once in awhile I wish to flatten one side of a log or cut a couple of planks out of a pine or fir tree and Baileys had these on sale for half price, so ordered one. May have to get a larger saw to handle the job, but that wouldn't be all bad, would it?  :D Still looks like a bit of work!  :o
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

JohnG28

I saw that and was thinking of ordering on myself, think I got till 28th. Thanks for the reminder.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

mad murdock

They are a very neat looking setup. A lot quicker to setup and use than an Alaskan, I may have to spring for one before they to off sale!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Got on Bailey's last wek and ordered me up a Timberjig. Supposed to be here Wednesday, I got 2 days to remanufacture the muffler on my PM700. The outer plate is good, going to make a new reed and the main "box", the exhaust manifold from the port to the main box section is good. Bought some 24 gauge sheet steel to fab with, will take some pics and post when I get it done.  Looking forward to the Timberjig!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

mad murdock

Timberjig arrived today! I like the fit and finish on this thing!  Can't wait to get it into some wood, will try and get my saw ready tomorrow, so I can mill with this setup on Saturday.

Caloren

Got to use the Timber Jig last week. We had a pine tree that snapped off about 45' up last winter, so thought it would be a good one to try the Jig out on. Was about 25" dia. at 3 foot up, so dropped it and cut four sections a little over 8' long.

Got a couple photo's to put in here, if I can figure out how! Well, if you want to see the photo's you can look in my gallery, couldn't figure how to make a new album either.  >:(

My Stihl MS310 is the largest saw I own and is at the minimum 60cc that Logosol recommends so took it a little easy with it. The only trouble was the vibration loosening some screws. Wound up losing one permanently the third time it dropped off.  :(  Will now loctite all the bolts. One other problem was the thickness adjustment moved about 1/8" in the 8 foot long cut, had to really bear down on the thumb wheels to tighten it, was afraid the polymer wings would break but they held on.
Took about 15 minutes for one cut after getting it set up. A larger saw would be a little quicker. Logosol recommends a Stihl 440, wish I had one!  ;D
Yep, it works and I hope to get better with it as time goes on.
Loren
Stihl MS 170, Stihl MS 310, Stihl 028 AV Super, and half a dozen other no-accounts! Cat D4 D.

mad murdock

Cool news Caloren. I did not get to test drive mine today, rainy and cold all day. I will get a first hand report on mine by next Saturday.  I was able to fix it to Mac with some coupling nuts and bolts. 
One of Calorens action shots. If you want to include a pic in the post, just to to your gallery click on a pic and scroll down the page to find BB image code or something like that, copy the whole line of text and paste in your post.

Caloren

Thanks Mad! I posted some a year or two ago, but I couldn't seem to find the way tonight! :-[

Caloren

OK here is the other photo. The 24" bar is a little longer than needed for this, but it's what I have.  ;D

Thank You Sponsors!