iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timber framed garage for VWs

Started by Rooster, February 12, 2011, 12:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rooster

My son Brandon, who is a VW guy, is a member of the VW Vortex forum on-line.  He came across this interesting thread and thought we all might be interested in reading about the project.  I found it to be very impressive for a first-time frame, the use of reclaimed materials and the solar PV system on the roof.

Check it out!

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3996345-Post-and-Beam-Garage&highlight=garage

Maybe we should invite the bulders to join our group...eh?

By the way, these are the stats for the VW Vortex forum...WOW!

VWVortex.com Statistics:
Threads 5,026,004
Posts 65,697,063
Members 585,640
Active Members 45,136

Rooster
"We talk about creating millions of "shovel ready" jobs, for a society that doesn't really encourage anybody to pick up a shovel." 
Mike Rowe

"Old barns are a reminder of when I was young,
       and new barns are a reminder that I am not so young."
                          Rooster

Wrangler55

Rooster,

Brandon has a great place to put his VW now.  That's the most impressive man cave I've ever seen.  I can't imagine what he's had to promise his wife in return.

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

shinnlinger

What impresses me the most about that father and son team is that they built a nice little frame with hardware store tools and a set of scaffolding. No boring machines, hydraulic cranes, mafell planers, beam saws or even decent chisels or drills.  Not much help either.

I hope that inspires folks to just get out there and do it.  You don't NEED 10k worth of tools to get started in timberframing....
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

mikerat

Rooster those are great pics, I wonder if that young man will become a Timber Framer? I know a guy who buildt a nice bridge once for his first project and he's now a kick-butt timber framer.

Mike
WM LT28 logrite 30,48,60 canthook, huskys and stihls, Logrite Buck Arch I have met the best people on this site!

Thank You Sponsors!