iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

insurance

Started by rvrdivr, October 21, 2006, 10:46:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rvrdivr

I know there has been alot of discussion on insurance here and I thought I would share something I just learned. I know this won't be useful to all but if it helps one person save $$ then it was worth my time to write it.

Recently I got permits to remove pre-cut submerged timber (deadheads) from Florida rivers. In doing so I needed permission from county boat ramps to remove these logs from the river. The DEP only required $300,000. general liability but the county required $1,000,000.
I called many Ins Co's, and had a hard time finding affordable insurance. They were classifing me with tree trimming and logging when I was really only salvaging. Prices came in as $1800.00 to $2600.00.
Finally one guy (who gave me the highest price) said to just use your home owners.
I called my insurance co and asked if I could raise my Personal Liability to 1 million. Yes I can was the answer. My personal liability follows me where ever I go. To be covered I also needed to up my truck insurance also. $60. for my personal liability and $19.00 for the truck per year. $80 bucks later and I satisfied everybodys requirements. I am covered if I damage the puplic boat ramp and after the logs are on the trailer I'm covered if I damage anything then.
Now this is not a business as my permits are in my name as is my truck. I am doing this for my own personal gain. Later I will sell wood from my sawmill that is a business.

Hope this helps!

Brian

SwampDonkey

Up here, as far as I know, liability under your home owners' insurance only covers you in your domain (your own property) and liability on auto's only covers you from the damage you do with your vehicle. I assume your boat is insured also? The way liability works on your home/property is if some one hurts himself on your property.  I can't take that and extend it to damage I might do to someone else's property. Just won't fly with insurance companies here.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!