iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

newbie question

Started by PoorMtnBoy, February 11, 2007, 08:18:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PoorMtnBoy

Well, I'm new here as you see but have been admiring your site for several weeks now. I'm considering getting a "portable" bandmilll this coming summer. I have read old posts on here about the trailer attachments and things. Nice ideas there. My question is how to judge the weight of a log. I don't plan on hauling a lot of logs but if I can get the occasional free log, I want to be able to pick it up. Also, moving the logs to my saw is something I'm considering. Any help is appreciated.

also, any get rich quick tips for milling is also needed ;)

chet

Go to da left side of this page, scroll down to da tool box. In da tool box you will find a log weight calculator, and a bunch of other neat stuff.  ;)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

getoverit

welcome to the forum !

You might want to do a search for "dang-deadheader log lifter" to see some ideas on moving logs.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

PoorMtnBoy

THANKS! I haven't noticed the toolbox down there. I did however read the "log lifter" posts and really thought it was a great idea...

Thanks again

J_T

I noticed no one answered part two of his question  :D :D I'll check back latter  ;D
Jim Holloway

thecfarm

Here's the answer to part 2.Keep your momey in the bank.  :D You will need what I think,a 40hp 4wd tractor to move the logs around or a skid steer.A good size truck to haul logs and some sort of trailer.It's not cheap to saw logs at a small scale.But it is alot of fun.Welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Here is a get rich tip.........Sell the mill and marry a wealthy woman.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Hi-Country Orange

answer to part 2 : go to a large bank (out of town ) remove all funds ( in cash ) with out being seen or caught return home purchase more iron (orange ) make lots of saw dust collect more cash return to local bank deposit cash draw interest part 2 solved   
                                                                                                                        8)   8)

59Billy

Quote from: WDH on February 11, 2007, 10:56:56 PM
Here is a get rich tip.........Sell the mill and marry a wealthy woman.

But wouldn't the whole point of marrying a wealthy woman be to buy a BIGGER mill?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ianab

Quotealso, any get rich quick tips for milling is also needed

Win the lottery.. then at least you can keep milling untill the money runs out  :D

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Kelvin

One investment that will allow you to get any size log you want (otherwise you will always find one too big) is a big used chainsaw off ebay!  You can rip with regular chain, and cut length wise on the log.  Just keep cutting until you can pick it up with what you can afford to get.  A cheap lift is the 3 point on a old farm tractor, or make a fork set for the 3 point.  You should be able to get something real cheap, or just use a trailer and winch them up.  A chainsaw/winch/trailer and enough time and you can move a forest.

PoorMtnBoy

Warren

How to make a small fortune sawing ......

..... Start off with a  large fortune ! ! !

:D :D :D
LT40SHD42, Case 1845C,  Baker Edger ...  And still not near enough time in the day ...

Thank You Sponsors!