iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Daily carnage thread

Started by mike_belben, July 23, 2018, 11:44:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TroyC

That band that works like the tension spring probably rusted, corroded, and swelled up to tighten the T bar along with rust all along the caliper edges. Gonna have to soak it (try beeswax after a littler heat). Might need to service the air hammer............

Don P

Ahh, bet you're right. I'll aggravate the air hammer a little tomorrow before going to borrow the torch :D.

Don P

I got the caliper out by slicing that T piece. The shim was indeed the main culprit it was in 3 pieces and mostly expanded rust.
Now the question is, I'm finding rebuilt Raybestos calipers from $41-$252. The cheapest says it is a Raybestos Element-3 and the $110 one is a Raybestos R-line. The $252 was WalMart  ::). Any Idea on the difference. The '87 truck has ~30k on the odometer and I think I did half of those about 10 years ago hauling produce to Boone for the market. Since then it was mostly sitting, we would get Christmas trees with it, a couple of square bale runs. With the gristmill in the box it probably won't see 500 miles/year.

tacks Y

No idea on the brakes but put some Never-Seize on the slide.

TroyC

R Line looks like daily driver, Element 3 appears to be high performance line.
R Line loaded around 110.00 each. Element 3 unloaded 104.00

Don P

What I was seeing, element 3 is new aftermarket and zinc plated, and R line is rebuilt.  At the cheapest price I'm all about high performance.

Here's the carnage;

New Element 3 caliper and cheap pads popped up, right at $100, not bad. I'll emery the inside of the disc and these were the cheap pads. I'll know soon. and it's plumbing, it ain't over yet  :D.

Crusarius

Does this count as carnage or well loved?

I think there is a few more years left in the bottom one :)

I tried to make a leaf collector chute for the mower last fall. I kept getting clogs. I think the lack of the lift part of the blade may have been the reason?

thecfarm

Put news ones on and you will notice the different.
Wife mows a lot!!!! 
I use to change them every year. The blades would look almost that bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Roundhouse

Quote from: Crusarius on May 08, 2023, 07:06:03 PMI think there is a few more years left in the bottom one :)

I tried to make a leaf collector chute for the mower last fall. I kept getting clogs. I think the lack of the lift part of the blade may have been the reason?
Must be that time of year, ha. A slow spring has meant no mowing here quite yet but I did mower maintenance on Sunday. I was working under the delusion that I would be able to take the blades off and sharpen them. This is what I saw when I got the first one off. Yikes. It was off to the store for a new set.
This project could also have an honorable mention for the "did something dumb" thread, with the work wrapped up I was driving the mower back to the shed and switched on the blades to make sure everything was in order. The wrench I had on top of the spindle to hold it for blade removal/reinstall was awfully loud when it spun 180 degrees and knocked itself loose once it hit the frame. Nothing damaged but my pride thankfully. 

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

Crusarius

well shoot, I knew I had more life in my blades :)

Now if I can just get the shop from amazon I ordered the new blades from to actually talk to me or deliver them then that would be great. for now I just put the square set on so at least I am ready if the yard ever drives enough I can get to the mower.

For living on top of a hill the swamp here is pretty bad.

teakwood

400hp motor went out on the cone crusher, sunday at 8am, they ask me to help with the excavator. luckily they had a spare motor. sometimes i'm glad i don't own a crusher.

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

No, you don't want to own a crusher when it breaks down😬 The cone is huge money if I remember correctly.
Too many irons in the fire

Resonator

It's like a pan scraper (earthmover), the machine basically destroys itself over time while running (especially with grit getting into every moving part). You just hope it makes more money than it costs to fix it.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Corley5

Quote from: Resonator on July 03, 2023, 10:37:30 AM
It's like a pan scraper (earthmover), the machine basically destroys itself over time while running (especially with grit getting into every moving part). You just hope it makes more money than it costs to fix it.

Sorta like a CTL harvester  ;D :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

chevytaHOE5674

The same is really true of any sort of equipment. Some are obviously more costly to run than others. But it all breaks down and wears out so you need to be producing enough when it's running to pay to keep it running or replace it.

barbender

My thoughts exactly, Chevy. Some stuff takes a lot longer to wear back into the basic elements- a cone crusher you can kinda watch it happen though😁

teakwood

Quote from: barbender on July 03, 2023, 10:16:00 AM
No, you don't want to own a crusher when it breaks down😬 The cone is huge money if I remember correctly.
Everything, not just the cone, the jaw crusher and the screen plant. try to buy conveyor belt, just sit down when they give you the price, lol.  the last firm had to replace a bearing on the jaw, was 14k for one bearing and there are 4 bearings in just the jaw.
crushers are the worst, just the task they do is so violent that the machine rattles itself to pieces. i imagine that big chippers are in the same category.
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

barbender

Oh my hat is off to a jaw or cone crusher, they break rocks into pieces for days on end- it is a wonder that they hold together at all!

Resonator

They guarantee welders will never run out of work. (And burn that rod down to the numbers, can't waste money!) :D

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Resonator on July 04, 2023, 11:58:42 AM
They guarantee welders will never run out of work. (And burn that rod down to the numbers, can't waste money!) :D
PAST the numbers. I always heard that if you can tell what it was, you're wasting money!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Resonator

Yes past the numbers, I stand corrected. Been a while since I heard that saying. ;D

wannaergo

My lowboy driver found a viaduct today with the forwarder, starting an afternoon filled with fun problems to solve. Good times were had by all.  ::)
2016 Ponsse ergo 8w
2014 Cat 564
Husky 385

barbender

Oh my. Did you attempt to strangle him?

Wudman

One of the neighbors suffered this one.  A couple was fighting / arguing travelling down the highway north of 70 mph.  He lost control and decided to drive through my neighbor's yard.  That John was hooked to an 8 foot 3 ph disc.  The disc stayed where it was.  The tractor rotated about 190 degrees and collected his pickup as well.  The tractor was destroyed.  Disc was sitting with lift arms and top link still attached.  The rear axle on the truck is bent along with sheer metal damage.  I'm sure the insurance company will total it.  Don't know if the frame is bent or not.  If not, I think the truck is salvageable.  

Guy threaded the needle between the pecan tree to the left and a guy wire to the right.  On the bright side, if the tractor wasn't there, he would have driven through the living room so I guess there is some upside.

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

GRANITEstateMP

Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

Thank You Sponsors!