iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pine for Siding

Started by High_Water, March 12, 2021, 08:52:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High_Water

Besides being high maintenance, what other problems are associated with green syp for siding on a small building if you plan to stain/seal every few years (in TX)?

Southside

Let it dry, seal it with a solid color stain, then paint with a latex over that on all surfaces and your maintenance issues will be non existent. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

1.  Do not allow any roof runoff spatter.

2.  Bevel the bottom edge ~30° leaving the sharp edge toward the outside of the building.  This presents a sharp
     drip edge and prevents water from wicking back and wetting the bottom of the boards.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

High_Water

Quote from: Southside on March 12, 2021, 09:01:54 AM
Let it dry, seal it with a solid color stain, then paint with a latex over that on all surfaces and your maintenance issues will be non existent.
I think the owner only wants a stain and already plans to reseal every so often. How dry is dry enough, fully air dry around 15% mc or 20 or 30 or what?

bannerd

You could burn the bottoms and use a wire brush to shove tong oil or linseed deep in the wood after a good burn.  That will prevent the grey/rot from happening.  We use seal once as it's guaranteed and comes in a few tints.

As far as high maintenance I would say.. bad design.  I've seen some pine wood siding last 40+ years because the roof/eve overhang was more than a typical house.  It kept the weather off the wood and the wood is just beautiful.

I believe a good design is key, which leads you to fight other issues such as bugs that want to eat wood.  Unless your like my neighbor and apply shellac and diatomaceous earth to your boards, maybe it works?   
:P

Southside

Somewhere between 11 and 15 pct depending on where you are. If nothing else seal / stain all sides so moisture doesn't get trapped in from behind and blister off the exposed face. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom King

If there are any butt joints, paint, or stain the ends before they go together, but that's really for Any siding-not just Pine.

Thank You Sponsors!