iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's a cane, but guess what it is.

Started by SwampDonkey, February 09, 2024, 11:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

A neighbor makes these canes from a common non native but naturalized plant. You'll be surprised. ;)
Take a guess.

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

SwampDonkey

Ah, no. 

Personally, I was surprised that you could even find one of these to be strong or stout enough to make a cane. None that I have seen around here are.  :coolsmiley:

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bert

Saw you tomorrow!

SwampDonkey

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

No, not ivy.

***clue: a common barn yard plant. 

Bert

Saw you tomorrow!

doc henderson

sugar cane, may be a play on words.
is that the natural color or is it stained.?
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

KEC

SwampDonkey

Doc, it has a dark finish on it. The stem is usually a brown color at the end of the growing season.

Not bittersweet, corn, or cow parsley.  Notice that the stem is not smooth, that is the natural grain of it. ffsmiley  You guys are going to get a kick out of it once you figure it out.

*** clue: it produces many hooked bracts in a globular shape.

SwampDonkey

Old Greenhorn

I have seen a lot of plants that harden up pretty good when they die off and I am thinking that's what this is, not a tree. But many are very succulent and wither away. I am wracking my (albeit small) mind to think of a plant that will still have some meat on it when dried. Sunflower came to mind, but they have too much water in them. Corn stalk? Cattail? I'm stumped.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Don P

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Hilltop366

rusticretreater

Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

thecfarm

I never let my get that big!!!
Took years to get rid of it here.
My Grand parents had sheep.
My father said we never had that DanG stuff here until they got sheep here on The Farm.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Turkeys, foxes and coons brought it around here from the neighboring farm. I've seen turkeys covered in burdock. They go down in those burdock groves on the neighbor to eat the seeds in winter. :D

customsawyer

Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!