iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gills

Started by Jeff, September 15, 2020, 06:37:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

i went and spent the afternoon with my Sister yesterday.  :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

mike_belben

Those goin in the frier or the garden jeff?
Praise The Lord

Jeff

GARDEN??? IS YOU CRAZY?? ;D

WV Sawmiller

I'm drooling already. Bluegill is my favorite eating fish. Yummm! And ounce for ounce about the hardest fighting fish out there.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Something fishy about this story... :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

mike_belben

Quote from: Jeff on September 15, 2020, 07:08:55 AM
GARDEN??? IS YOU CRAZY?? ;D
No.  Well... Not about bluegill anyway.  Seems like trying to get the meat out of a hoof   :D
Praise The Lord

Jeff

No better fish to eat in my view are the fish of the sunfish family, and the best, the Bluegill.

mike_belben

Well.  I guess i will need a recipe then. 
Praise The Lord

randy d

My wife and i have eaten a lot of blue gill and crappie this summer and they are great eating. do you scale them or fillet them my mother had to have them scaled and whole i like them filleted. Good catch.  Randy

BradMarks

Probably no better fish to take kids to catch.  You're still a kid right? Great action.

Jeff

Still a kid.  I fillet and skin. Crappies get scaled and filleted.  

Im cooking so.e up in the airfryer for supper.   

Seasoned with Lowreys then dipped in flour, then egg, then panko bread crumbs. Sprayed with pam, 3.5 minutes in the air fryer, flip, swap trays, 3.5 minutes longer. Pics to come, unless my tummy gets its way, then there may be no time. ;) :D

Texas Ranger

I have told this story before, had a great uncle that fished and kept everything, regardless of size.  On the tiny ones he would scale gut, cut the head off, and fry them.  Ate them like potato chips.  Never got used to it.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Jeff

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: BradMarks on September 15, 2020, 04:33:00 PMYou're still a kid right? Great action.
Judging from that photo he looks like a skinny high school kid. Looking good man!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

WDH

That is hard to beat.  

Mike, for those that don't like to fool with the bones, one way is to bake the whole cleaned fish in the oven until just cooked enough for the meat to flake.  That them out and take all the meat off the bones and discard the bones.  To the meat, add some finely diced onion, finely diced green pepper, an egg, and bread crumbs and mix thoroughly and make patties or cakes like you do with canned salmon.  Then, saute the fish cakes in some butter or olive oil.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KEC

I'd be willing to sample any of the fish yuz guys want to cook.

mike_belben

I cant remember eating a freshwater fish that i/we caught since my uncle baked a pickerel and plopped it on the table, head fins and all.  I was probably 7, took a bite or two and said i can make it til breakfast.

Before kids i did plenty of canoe finishing in the rivers of western mass but never had any interest in eating a largemouth.  Had catfish a few times, i like it but not for 11 bucks! ate a whole lot of deep fried mahi in hawaii.  Sure miss the plate lunch wagons, surf and girls.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

@Jeff ,

You must be a heck of a fish monger to be able to fillet a bluegill that size. My hats off to you! I fillet big catfish all the time but not bream and such. Do you scale them before filleting or just open him up and peel the fillet right off the skin and skeleton?

We always coat them in a mixture of flour and corn meal (The flour sticks to the fish better). The best way is to put the meal mix in a plastic bag, add the fish, close the top with plenty of air left inside and shake and turn till it is all coated. We deep fry in corn oil. I have a special deep pot made from half an old Freon bottle (I assume not chance of heavy metal toxicity after all these years and fish fries with it) that I cook with on a 3 legged turkey cooker. Once cooked we pull the dorsal fin off then start at the bottom with your thumb (City folks use a fork) and push up and that fillet you show peels right off. Flip him over and do the same on the other side.

There is nothing more fun than taking a kid out with limber cane or fiberglass pole and dunking crickets and catching big bluegills. They will make that line sing. Of course catching them with a flyrod and cork popping bug or ultra-light spinning tackle with a jig spinner is loads of fun too.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

stavebuyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 16, 2020, 12:38:55 PM
@Jeff ,

You must be a heck of a fish monger to be able to fillet a bluegill that size. My hats off to you! I fillet big catfish all the time but not bream and such. Do you scale them before filleting or just open him up and peel the fillet right off the skin and skeleton?

We always coat them in a mixture of flour and corn meal (The flour sticks to the fish better). The best way is to put the meal mix in a plastic bag, add the fish, close the top with plenty of air left inside and shake and turn till it is all coated. We deep fry in corn oil. I have a special deep pot made from half an old Freon bottle (I assume not chance of heavy metal toxicity after all these years and fish fries with it) that I cook with on a 3 legged turkey cooker. Once cooked we pull the dorsal fin off then start at the bottom with your thumb (City folks use a fork) and push up and that fillet you show peels right off. Flip him over and do the same on the other side.

There is nothing more fun than taking a kid out with limber cane or fiberglass pole and dunking crickets and catching big bluegills. They will make that line sing. Of course catching them with a flyrod and cork popping bug or ultra-light spinning tackle with a jig spinner is loads of fun too.
Fillet is the only way. No scaling, no gutting. Just cut right behind the gill flap to the backbone, and then straight down along the backbone to the rib cage. Peel the cut back over the tail and run your fillet knife against the skin. Bone free, skin free morsel in less time than it takes to read this.

Jeff

WV Sawmiller

I may have to try that the next time I get a mess of them. I always filleted my fish starting from the tail cutting towards the heads and not as you describe.
Howard Green

stavebuyer

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 17, 2020, 12:11:49 PM
  I may have to try that the next time I get a mess of them. I always filleted my fish starting from the tail cutting towards the heads and not as you describe.
Ideally you want the skin still attached to the tail when you are done. You basically cut the meat away from the backbone and rib cage and flop it skin side down behind the tail. The flesh is on top of your knife and the skin is below against the cutting board. 

WDH

I am a head to tail filleter like Stavebuyer. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

Us too, except for trout, we gut and take off the head.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

YellowHammer

Those look tasty.

I fillet them out but get the "fish stick" or "back strap."  Its a very fast technique and gets the best meat with a little bit of waste.  I put the fillet knife from head to tail just above where the rib cage joins the backbone, basically parallel to the vertebrae, from gill flap to low tail.  One cut down to the backbone, then slide the knife upward along the back bone toward the dorsal fin and flip the meat stick over and then slide the knife against the skin to separate the meat and it results in a full length, full thickness, head to tail boneless, skinless fish stick in about a couple seconds.  The only meat wasted is that on the very lower tail.  It results in a piece of meat that looks exactly like a commercially produced fish stick.

We have to cull and fillet about 20 lbs per year from our ponds, as well as bream fishing being being a southern tradition during the full moon in May, when they bed in untold numbers.

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!