iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

ratchet strapping a whack of lumber

Started by rweiss1110, March 03, 2020, 09:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rweiss1110

I was spending the winter in N. FL, and the neighbor (not living there he went S for the winter.) had a whack of stickered cedar lumber with ratchet straps wrapped around at each sticker. I guess he is letting it air dry, have any of you done this? and what is the result?

scsmith42

Ratchet straps around the stickers will help the lumber to dry flatter; however you need to retighten the straps periodically as the lumber dries and shrinks.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

rweiss1110

Should I do this for all of this if I am going to Kiln dry

btulloh

The general consensus is weight is the way to go. Lots of it. Straps will need to be tightened every day. Couldn't hurt to use straps, but . . .
HM126

alan gage

I wouldn't think straps would actually do much. They'll exert a lot of pressure on the corners but probably not much on the flat top surface. Straps would probably me more effective if something arch shaped was set on the stack before installing the straps. That should result in a lot more down pressure.

Alan
Timberking B-16, a few chainsaws from small to large, and a Bobcat 873 Skidloader.

scsmith42

Quote from: rweiss1110 on March 03, 2020, 12:57:13 PM
Should I do this for all of this if I am going to Kiln dry

I would not bother to ratchet strap that load.  Weight would be a better option.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

YellowHammer

I guess you are hearing a common theme.  
Weights are by far the best, a couple thousands pounds at least for a 4x8 pack, I use 3 thousand.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

tawilson

When I do use straps I put 4x4's crossways top and bottom and loop the ratchet straps around them. And tighten them as needed.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

busenitzcww

If you air dry down to say 25% and then throw it in the kiln are weights still beneficial?

Thank You Sponsors!