iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rope

Started by Rat Rod Mac, October 01, 2014, 08:30:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rat Rod Mac

New guy here and have a dumb question for the pros. I need a rope to use to tie to a tree when sometimes you have to help guide it when it falls. Something to tie on the draw bar of the tractor to put tension on the tree. What rope should I get as far as material,,, nylon, polypropylene, etc, etc. And what size diameter do you think would be best with out getting too crazy with diameter. 1/2" or maybe 5/8" or how about 3/4". I was figuring about 150" would do it. What do you guys say? Thanks in advance.    RRM

thenorthman

3/4 nylon works pretty good, 5/8 will do ya.

If your at all concerned about it, order some actual bull line from baileys, much stronger then the stuff you get at the hardware store.

I prefer 1/2" cable though.
well that didn't work

GAB

The size of the tree involved and other needs to miss targets, has a lot to do with the proper size rope to use.
Personally I prefer the 3/8" wire rope attached to a winch mounted to the tractor.
The higher up the tree the the rope is placed, the more leverage thereby lessening the risk factor.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

beenthere

Don't get anything that stretches... even if the rope doesn't break, but a hook breaks or pulls loose when the line is stretched, something is going to fly very fast and furious and some real hurt can happen.

I use 1/2" cable... more strength than the tractor has and it doesn't stretch.

Just to tip a tree, not much strength is needed but sometimes we try to pull more than needed.. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bill m

Not sure how big the trees are that you will be pulling over or how much of a back lean they have but a 3/4 inch double braid will work fine.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

thecfarm

Rat Rod Mac,welcome to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Rat Rod Mac

Thanks for all of the advise and suggestions. It's appreciated.   RRM

longtime lurker

Depends on the tractor.
As pointed out, a stretched rope snapping can whiplash and bite you.
Of course, a stretched cable snapping can whiplash and just cut you clean in half.
And theres been more then one death when someone tried to pull something down with a farm tractor, decided to give it a jerk to help it a little, and the tractor reared over backwards and landed wheels up on the driver.

Logging... no wonder my insurance premiums are so high :D
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

terrifictimbersllc

I have 200' of orange Samson double braid 3/4" rope and  2 matching aluminum blocks with 10' of the same rope on them too.  All from Bailey's.  This rope will stop my 7.3L 4x4 F-350 in 4wd on dirt, without any apparent ill effects.  Had them for years, very useful.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Thank You Sponsors!