iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Reality check, BF pricing and railroad ties

Started by Jcald327, January 13, 2020, 07:59:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jcald327

So with my wealth of sawing experience, (where is the eye roll emoji) I have been contacted about a possible long term gig cutting ties (7x9 and some smaller, as well as cedar cant production, and some dedicated slab work).  I operate a lucas 827 with slabbing attachment and extension rails.  

I know has been covered before, but after consulting a few of the regulars here, I was advised to throw another head scratcher to the forum.

So first part of the question, would anyone in their right mind take a job cutting ties with a lucas?  I know at one point they offered a 9 inch (to 9.5 inch blade for exactly this reason).  I just see this as 6-10 pass cut whereas a bandmill would be able to make it in 4, but I should be able to get away with only a single roll on the cant vs 4.  I'm slower on my deep cuts than a band mill, but not to the point where a band mill (at least a modestly sized hydraulic unit) would be significantly faster with the log turns.  

The prospected employer (a  forestry management service) would like to pay 30 cents a bf on the majority of production (ties), and do all site prep / staging but I'm responsible for help.  I told him my prices range from 30-50c a bf, depending on size of product of course and whether or not I was providing help, attempting to maintain 45$ an hour by myself, and 60$ an hour with help.  This should allow me to bump up to at least 35 cents a bf, but I don't know if there is room to get to 40 (which gets my help to 15ish an hour with 4 ties an hour).  
    Neither on of us area really keen on lifting ties at all, so working though trying to figure out if there is a bobcat/ forklift or any other material handling on site, but it may be a case for some extended bunks out the side to slide the ties on and down, possibly by boat winch attached to trailer hitch(2 logs on the mill at a time, nearly end to end, making  target of 35 per day, and 2 piles ~ 17 ties).

I know in the old days a nickle a bf was good for help, if you can get 200 bdft he makes 10, so on, I'm just really wondering if I will be able to consistently make more than 3-3.5 ties an hour with facing passes, deep cut verticals, and then flipping and shimming (we're working on putting a scissor jack under the each bunk end on plates for stability, and using them as a poor mans toe board, driving them with an impact).

Thanks again for being here FF, and for putting up with all my ridiculous questions.
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Husqvarna 395xp 32, 42 inch
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Lowrider cnc 4x8 capacity
Logrite mega 78 and 60

Southside

In a nutshell, don't do it. Ties are a volume game and you need everything to be mechanically handled in order to make it work and not get hurt. The "long term" part of the deal will suddenly stop the day the tie buyer shuts off incoming ties. It's the same move over and over in that world. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Dan_Shade

I would not make a commitment beyond a week to see how good or bad it is.  It could be the longest week of your life (or the best). 

From what you have described, it sounds slow and labor intensive. 

Efficient material handling (logs and ties) is required to make money, otherwise you spend a lot of time waiting for the next cut.  You have to keep the blade in the wood to make money. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jeff

Listen to Jim. I was the sawyer in a large automated commercial mill where we had everything we needed to handle ties, and it was still a pain because you will end up handling multiple times. Tie markets are fickle. And what they take and what they wont changes on what current inventory provides.  Just wait until you have to start sorting 300 lb ties because the rules changed on the quality. The worse i remember is when we were working on the last bundlr of 7 by 9 ties and the buyer called up without warning and said they were full up for probably 6 weeks, but would take 6 by 8s. We had no choice, since that was the egg basket, to put every tie back on the mill and resize.

Dont do it. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jcald327

Well now this is why y'all make the big bucks.  When I'm rolling in dough after a decade or 2 of hard work, I'm going to remember FF ;)

I guess I'm going to attempt to price myself out of this job, 40 cents a bf, paid for what I cut, regardless of whether it meets inspection when they go to sell, 50 cents a mile for travel, and guaranteed money regardless of market (ie I get paid by the log regardless of whether they are sitting on a trailer load they cant sell).

I think I can rig a tie unloader from my bunks in an hour or 2 out in the garage. But you guys are making this sound like the terrible venture I was kinda thinking it would be.  Oh the dollar signs that cloud ones judgment.

Thank you gentlemen, I owe you my back ;) (and my knee thanks you as well)
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Logrite mega 78 and 60

WV Sawmiller

Read Jeff's post real carefully. If you do agree to cut ties be sure you know the rules such as centering heart, kind of wood etc or better yet just put that back on the customer that rejects are on him (unless it is an obvious sawing failure or such). Or possibly just specify cutting the items you can excel (and make money at) on cutting. Good luck.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Southside

Before you even do that ask him why he came to you. The reason is likely that it's because nobody else will do it, Jeff gave you a very valid reason as to why. 

I have turned down the opportunity to saw ties. The only money was from the depreciation of my equipment and that's not profit. 

The money in ties comes from getting any grade out of the side lumber, something you are not going to get custom sawing. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ButchC

I work part time at an Amish mill that has a tie contract and while I am not privy to the exact dollars it is CHEAP work and they will toss out your bundles for all manner of defects. The only time they make ties is when they lack orders for other finished product, that tells the story I guess. 
 Be sure you know exactly what they accept and what they will not and do not stake anything important on that income, that's my take from the Amish which seems to concur with ithers here.
Peterson JP swing mill
Morbark chipper
Shop built firewood processor
Case W11B
Many chainsaws, axes, hatchets,mauls,
Antique tractors and engines, machine shop,wife, dog,,,,,that's about it.

SawyerTed

I've been approached to saw ties.  I don't see how to make money at it and it isn't reliable. The average number of ties per hour to cover costs isn't possible with the equipment I have without paying helpers.  Making tie size timbers requires two helpers at my mill or the going is slow and the work is exceptionally hard.  I think I would attempt to saw some ties if you haven't done it before and just see how you like it and how long it takes.  

Even if I buy logs, I make more sawing utility lumber than I ever could sawing ties at what I was offered.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Jcald327

Yea the response here is an overwhelming no, across the board.  Email has been dispatched declining tie work.  If the want slabs and whatnot, I'm good, but not touching the ties. 

Thanks again FF 
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Logrite mega 78 and 60

Ron Wenrich

I sawed ties for a good many years.  I ran an automated circle mill and could break down a tie log in a couple of minutes.  There was no handling of slabs and we also cut lumber off the side cuts.  I maintained long term buying from our tie buyers due to the quality of tie I made.  The quality of tie depended on the quality of log coming in.  Not every log made a tie.  Shake, rot, splits, and wane will kill a tie quality.  Sometimes you can saw around your defects, sometimes you can't .  Produce poor quality ties and you'll lose a buyer.  

What happens to those rejects, and how do you get paid?  I sawed my rejects into another product before it left my headblocks.  The ones that were too bad got tossed into the chipper.  

To make money, you'll need good support equipment and a way of producing volume.  I'm not sure you can do that with a swing mill and at that price level.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

moodnacreek

Watch a video of a hurdle or other mill sawing out ties and see what your up against.

Tom the Sawyer

Ties and pallet stock are a low-margin endeavor for a high-production mill setup.  Glad to see you turned that opportunity away.  ;)
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

taylorsmissbeehaven

I had a long time customer call me a year or so  ago and ask if I would be interested in cutting ties from logs ff a new pasture they cleared. He would stage the logs, provide a tractor and help me.I gave a price per tie that made him cry. I just couldnt do it for less. A few months ago, he called again and wanted to know if I could cut posts for a new structure on the farm. They needed to be the same dimensions as the ties a year before but twice as long. :D :D Same price again and same tears again. I guess he thought I would do better if they were for him. There is definitely not enough meet on the bone for a sawyer a "broker"!!! JMTC Brian
Opportunity is missed by most because it shows up wearing bib overalls and looks like work.

Jcald327

Spent the day bucking logs from a windstorm a while back, and the local mill is paying 45 - 75 cents a bf for clear lumber, and alot of these are.  Going to load with a bobcat next week and make a few trips (20 miles) and make more in 2-3 days of work running a chainsaw than I would have in a week or possibly 2 cutting and moving ties, without putting the first hour on my mill.  Although the husky 395 was no fun throwing around for 4-5 hours today, I dont want to think about tie after tie after tie.
Lucas 8-27 w/ slabber
Rancher 455 24 inch
Stihl 271 20 inch
Grandberg 66 alaska mill
Logrite mega 78 and 60

sawmilllawyer

Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

barbender

I wouldn't want to get into sawing ties, and I definitely wouldn't want to do it with a swing mill. I can't see how that would work very well at all.
Too many irons in the fire

stavebuyer

While I would not recommend a swing mill for sawing of ties I will say that I did very, very well financially by sawing them. I owned the logs and graded my lumber. A tie is no different than any other wholesale market. Supply and demand rule; pricing dictates what products and species are chased. If you have been in the hardwood lumber business more than a short time you will have seen almost every product and species boom and bust. Supply is short, panic buying until market is saturated, panic price drop and zero demand, repeat.

Small world. Business relationships can and do matter. Make your buyer bid, beg, and pay a premium in strong markets, always push the quality standard and you can be expect to be "rewarded" when the market turns to favor the buyer.

If you want to succeed cutting ties you need to want to cut a good tie. You have to have a better quality log than most realize to cut a good tie. Too many think a "tie log" is whatever is left after you cut the grade log(s) off. Ties are a graded product that needs to meet or exceed the grade standards. 

Jump into to cutting ties as a last resort because you can't sell flooring lumber or 4x6s and you will most likely not have a favorable outcome. 

WV Sawmiller

Please don't forget the original question was to saw logs into ties for a customer. He is not selling the ties or any side lumber, just sawing them for a client. The question is it profitable for him to saw slabs, ties and lumber using his current swingblade equipment.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

TKehl

From a different perspective, if ties are bringing $0.50-.55/ board foot.  ($25 ish per tie with sloppy quick math and I am not up to date on current prices.)  If you are sawing even at $0.30/board foot, that only leaves $0.20-.25 to buy logs?  Most anything that will make a tie around here will bring more than that on the stump!  So, where is he getting the logs? 

My hunch is that these are logs rejected from a larger operation and knows a lot about the sawmill biz or else a tree service and knows very little.  Either way, would expect metal or other defects.

On the flip side, there could still be a lot of potential working for this client on the other options, just ties are not the ticket here.  ;)
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

WV Sawmiller

Not buying logs. Not selling lumber. Just sawing for a customer. Not worried about profit or loss from the product. Is it worth his time and effort to saw stated items with equipment he has on hand?
Howard Green

stavebuyer

I have paid people "per tie" to saw ties from my logs. Flat rate. Culls were my problem. Numbers on my end wouldn't work in all markets but the contract sawyers always wanted more. More than a few ran LT15's. Have paid as much as $15 per tie to have logs 4 sided. If you can't figure out to how to make that work you aren't looking to saw.

TKehl

WV, I am aware of that and I agree with you.   :)

But by looking at the other side of the coin here, it raises more questions that require answers before proceeding.   ;)  
If it's junk for quality that is the log owners responsibility to which they will wise up quick as they loose money and gig over.  If junk for metal, that is the sawmillers responsibility which he needs to be aware of.  Either way, I think it only makes the situation worse for ties.  Just not a game to play without equipment.

Again, on the other hand, they could be your best customer for other things! 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Ron Wenrich

Junk logs make junk ties.  If you're sawing by the tie, you're only interested in sawing ties, not quality.  Sometimes good looking logs turn out junky.  There's more to sawing a good tie than throwing a log on a mill and slabbing 4 sides.  

I sawed by the bf for 35 yrs.  My job was to get the highest dollar value out of a log that I could.  You can do that when you have enough diversity in your markets.  Sawing solely for ties is a prescription for problems on both sides of the equation.  When markets get tight, the quality of ties has to go up to keep on sending ties.  Same happens with all markets.  Sloppy sawyers end up going broke.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Bandmill Bandit

i Did a contract where ties were the primary product needed but were NOT the primary product Produced. The logs were average of 12" small end with about a 1/3 around 16" all 12' length. The owner wanted the max lumber yield out of the logs in general with as many #2 & 3 ties as we could get. 

Was a fun job. We ran at about a 35-40% of finished timber in decent ties.

He actually ended up making almost as much on the second cut slabs/wind boards as he did on the ties on that job.    
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!