iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

what is it???

Started by Plowboy, February 25, 2006, 07:18:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Plowboy

I had a job the other day sawing old power poles into 2x6 planks.  We found all the metal but we found these little guys that would wreck a blade.  It looks like a plastic plug or a some sort of fiberglass.  I was just wondering if anybody knows what the plugs are made of and what they are for. 

Thanks

Buzz-sawyer

At the base poison plugs were inserted in some to prevent infestation...handle with care...some were glass others aluminum....mayge fiberglass too ??? ???
    HEAR THAT BLADE SING!

highpockets

Don't put them in the grits.
Louisiana Country boy
homemade mill, 20 h.p. Honda & 4 h.p. for hydraulics.  8 hydraulic circuits, loads, clamps, rotates, etc.

getoverit

Ive never seen one of these either.... what did the "plug" in the side of the pole look like where these were insertred??

I'm fixing to mill some old power poles, and I sure dont want to run tino those things...
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Ron Wenrich

Was there any heartrot in the pole?  I used to inspect utility poles, and we would sound the poles with a hammer.  If they sounded hollow, we would then bore them to see the extent of heartrot.  If not too severe, we would treat and plug the hole, but I thought it was a wooden plug.  Times have changed since then.   ;)
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Plowboy

The poles were soild.  The poles were taken down when a tornado came through and took down a bunch of them.  The power company stripped them and cut the plugs off flush.  The only other thing is that showed where these things were at was cable ran up the pole and was always in line with these plugs.  After I hit the one in the pic we knew to look for a big staple that held the cable onto the pole and a mark made by a chainsaw.  I think that most of the plugs were at the top of the poles, I am not sure, the poles were 50' to 60' tall.  The poles were cut to length when we got there to cut them. 

Woodwalker

If they are about 5/8" in diameter and 3"-4" deep they are fiberglass brackets/sticks used to stand the pole ground off the pole. The way we installed them was to drill a shallow 11/16" hole, then drive the rods into the hole. Couldn't pull the things out. Years ago, the practice was if a pole was re-framed for a different hardware configuration; the old unused holes were plugged with treated wooden plugs driven into the holes.
Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

getoverit

ok here is another "whatizit" for ya.

Check THIS LINK  and see if you can tell me exactly what this is.

I've seen all kinds of saw mills, but nothing like this before. From the looks of it, the guy seems to think the 12 hp techumse (sp?) engine is worth more than anything...

beenthere

Just looks like the old 'buck' saw to me, that holds a small log or limbwood in that cradle, and it rocks into the blade to cut firewood to length. Made mucho firewood with one of those, usually belted to a pulley or direct drive to a PTO shaft.

It looks poorly designed from the open belts to the cradle rocking forward such that the uncut log (bolt) will contact the large pulley. Much too small an engine (IMO) and too weak in the framework.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

getoverit

Ahhh.. a buck saw.... they are calling it a portable sawmill...

I wouldnt think that a 12 hp engine could run that many teeth on a saw anyway... looks like it might need a new blade too?

Radar67

I don't know GOI, my little 8hp is pulling 178 teeth.  :D :D :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

wiam

Here in VT it is a cordwood saw.  Usually hooked to a tractor byflat belt.  I know a guy that has one hooked to a 2 hp electric.  He cuts stuff 8 ft and anything under 6 inches goes across it.  He runs an elavator under it.  I do not think you would saw much lumber with one of these blades.  Most have little set.

Will

thecfarm

We call it the same thing here in Maine,waim.We use to cut the limb wood for my Grandmother's cookstove on this saw.We wood use the NAA Ford with a belt for power.I can still here that blade hum and the sound of the wood being sawed off.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Dana

Yea, it's a buzzsaw up here. My job as a kid on Saturdays in the fall. Unload the wagon of firewood.  Passing the wood to my dad and brother who ran the saw. We used an Allis Chalmers B with a flat belt for power.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

breederman

We used a Fergason TO 2o to run a buzz saw. Always had a big buzz pile out in the pasture. Deer season was a good time to buzz up stove wood becouse deer are nosey and we could "multi task" :)  I havent heard a buzz saw  sing in years!
Together we got this !

jackpine

Last summer I sawed a puckle of power poles ( I assume puckle is the new official ff unit of measure for power poles) :D

The upper 1/3 had wooden plugs driven in the un-used holes except for one that looked like a plug and turned out to be a 3/8 carriage bolt driven in so far you could barely see the head >:(

These poles were western red cedar, date stamped 1965, bone dry and loaded with creasote. No fun at all to saw,had to use lots & lots of lube and many many bands. I hope to never see another power pole tho I hear the newer one are red pine or syp which may not be so bad to saw.

footer

I sawed a lot of firewood on a buzz saw with my grandpa when i was a kid. Belt driven off of john deer B.  I bet OSHA would have a hayday with one of those now days.

Plowboy

Hey woodwalker thanks, I think you answered my question.  What are the plugs made of?  I sawed 28 16' power poles that were cedar, these were dated 1965.  I thought they sawed fairly easy.  I was using too much water to begin with, after I cut the water down I sawed right along.  I then sawed eight 8' poles that were pressure treated pine.  These logs sawed a little harder, after sawing this job it wouldn't bother me to saw more power poles. 

Thank You Sponsors!