iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

killing my chains - carbide tipped?

Started by Greg, March 25, 2003, 10:16:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg

Guys,

Pretty frustrated right now.

This old beech I'm remilling just kills my chains. Sometimes with a freshly sharpened chain, I can barely get through a single pass at side of a beam (8" wide, 8 to 12 feet), sometimes not even that far. I start to get burn marks in the wood - dull chain right?

I am starting to believe the only thing that might stand up to this old dry wood is carbide tipped chain. Anyone have the unfortunate/expensive experience of buying a chain with a carbide tips on it? I think saw these at Bailey's for $1.25 a drive link. Ouch!

Can't see spending $100 on a chain, but if I don't find a solution to milling this *DanG beech I'm going to end up with a large pile of firewood ;-(

Greg

Greg

Ooops, sorry to answer my own post!

Actually I looked at the catalog again and the cutters are actually  listed at $0.35 a dl.

Still looking for comments, good or bad, re: use of carbide tipped cutters for old dry wood.

Cheers and thanks again,
Greg

Captain

Greg,

For hardwood, green or dry, I always used chains setup at 0 degrees.  The chip size is reduced, and the chain is sharper longer because you are not driving a sharp 35 degree tip into hard dry wood.  I think you will also be pleased with the finish on the boards...

It would be very hard to "regrind" carbide chain without a diamond or borozon wheel to a shallower angle.  We use carbide chains on our " ventilation" saws in the fire service.  It is not easy to find someone setup to sharpen them...

Try a reduced angle!!

Captain

Captain

Sorry another thought...

"this old beech" is clean and dirt/mud free, isn't it??

Greg

QuoteSorry another thought...

"this old beech" is clean and dirt/mud free, isn't it??

Captain,

I should explain. These are reclaimed, hand hewn beech beams, which I am just remilling/redimensioning. Mostly just squaring them up and taking off a few inches here and there.

They are very clean, no mud or dirt. Did have some very small old square nails in a few faces, but mostly clean (tough) wood.

Greg

SawInIt CA

baileys has two types of carbide chain I use the one that has carbide impregnated into the metal.....$37 for a 32" bar and you can sharpen it with a file...the file does not last though. Works great.

IndyIan

Greg,
I assume your using an Alaskan, do you have an auxillary oiler?  I've never milled dry hardwood but maybe having more lube will help, getting some onto the cutters even?  Might be worth a try as chain oil is cheap compared to chains.  Maybe try lighter pressure as overheating the cutters would dull them quick too.
Good luck!
Ian

Thank You Sponsors!