iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bleeding Brakes on Treefarmer C-4D

Started by Rob, June 09, 2003, 10:16:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rob

Hello again fellas,

Well I have been using the C-4 quite a bit in the past few days but I have been on flat ground so I really did'nt need the brakes all that much,but today I was pulling a turn down hill to roadside and when I stopmed on the brakes there was no one home.. :oneedless to say the blade stopped me but I was wondering if any of you could tell me where I can find the bleeder to bleed the brakes on this thing so I can stop??Thanks a bunch for any info you can provide.

Rob

Frickman

Rob,

On our C5-D the brakes are located on the front of the transfer case. There is an access panel on the right (passenger) side of the tractor below the cab where the bottom of the tractor makes a 45 degree angle in. The braking system consists of a master cylinder on the firewall, standard steel brake line, and the backing plate and brake shoe assembly. Of course there's a brake drum too. The brake shoes are set up like typical drum brakes with a wheel cylinder and bleeder screw. Just bleed the brakes like you would on a car or truck.

When we purchased our C5-D the brakes were in poor condition so I replaced all the components. The only thing salvagable was the brake drum. All the parts we needed were available at our local Franklin dealer. With all new parts the brakes work properly and we won't have to worry about them for awhile.

Hope this helps, your's might be set up different.
Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Rob

Frickman,

Thanks a bunch, my machine is set up the same way with the access panels to get to them on the bottom of the machine like you said.I'm gonna try and fix it today I'll keep you posted as to what happens by tonight.

Thanks Again
                              Rob.

Rob

Frickman,

You would'nt have any tips on adjusting the clutch on one of these machines would you  ;DDo I just lengthen the clutch rod with the jam nut?

Thanks Again Rob.

Frickman

Rob,

Just adjust the clutch linkage like you said, and tighten the jam nut to hold it where you want it. You should have a little free play in the pedal just like any machine. We had to adjust our clutch frequently until the whole thing fell apart internally. Seems that a previous owner had left out some pieces when they reassembled it. The clutch and transmission came out together, and we had a local transmission shop rebuild them. They had all the parts available locally as they were standard, off the shelf pieces from a heavy truck.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Rob

Thanks frickman,

I got the clutch adjusted so atleast I have that going for me,and I got the brakes to bleed.Now I just need to locate the shaft that connects the hydraulic pump to the crankshaft and I'll be back up an running,I hope I can find one and it does'nt cost a small fortune.

Rob.

woodmills1

Hey rob there are at least 2 driveshaft repair places in manchester.  find the one where the guy also rehabs fire trucks I bet he can make one ifin ya get stuck or it is big bucks.  I have been there so if you cant find the name let me know and I will try to locate it I just can't remember off the top of the old farts head. :D
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Rob

James,

I would appreciate it a ton if you can find the names or phone numbers of these shops..I have been looking around all day and have come up empty handed. :'(

Rob.

woodmills1

Gilbert Driveline Service & Supply Inc
340 Massabesic Street, Manchester, NH 03103
(603) 623-3061

this guy is good
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Rob

Thanks James.

Rob

Rob

Well James,

I was surised when I went there today and they actually had the parts I needed in stock,well kinda I had them next day air them but atleaset I'll be up an running by the weekend.Thanks for steering me in the right direction.

Rob.

woodmills1

so its sorta like you got the shaft!  :D

Rob

Exactly... :D ;D  It's been working all day today with no problems thank god..

Rob.

hills_logging

the brake slave cylinder on a c-4 may have the bleeder on the bottom, which means you have to unbolt it to bleed it. The one for the clutch definitly has to be unbolted to bleed. You are right also about lengthening you clutch rod, I have to do this quite often on my C-4.I think I've had about the entire machine apart at one time or another, so if i can help contact me, I have all the manuals and a truck load of parts for it. BE VERY CAREFUL how much you adjust your brakes! If you get them to tight or lose the return spring, you'll start a fire!
Been through that!
Bill
bill

Rob

Bill,

As a matter of fact I'm still having a issue with getting the brakes to bleed,the machine has a line lock on it as well.I bled the master cylinder by using the line as a bleeder,then I try to bleed the wheel cylinder and I get absolutley nothing from it??The line lock also has a bleeder on it..I'm kinda having a big issue with it,as where I'm working it's all down hill skidding so I definetly need brakes..Do you have any ideas??

Thanks Rob.

Rob

Also how do I go about adjusting the brakes,I had them all apart the other day to clean it all up,but did not see any type of adjuster.. ???

rebocardo

If you are not getting fluid out of the drum cyl. when bleeding try stepping on the brake while releasing the line lock with the cyl. open. Then try bleeding them again from the drum cyl.

If you still get nothing, remove the bleeder screw and replace it. Sometimes they get clogged up with wax from the brake fluid or just plain old dirt and salt from the exterior. What you might want to do is remove the line from the cyl. and see if you get fluid out of the line and then see if you can pour fluid from the brake cyl. The cyl. itself might be clogged up with waxy stuff from old brake fluid (water logged fluid).

Thank You Sponsors!