iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

board return stays down

Started by jaciausa, June 07, 2015, 04:51:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaciausa

Hello, I have a problem with board return not staying up. Saw is an Lt40Super Hydraulic. I do not acually use the board remover as of yet, it went down and will not return. I believe it might be electrical. Thanks for any help

MartyParsons

Hello,
There is a cable that hold it up. These can break if the return was not down all the way. Electrical. These motors are the same as the blade guide arm. Two wires and the polarity changes to change direction. I usually do not take the assembly down unless there is no other way. Remove the two bolts on the motor and check the magnets. Being you dont use it much it could have gotten water inside the motor and the magnets came loose or it is rusted tight.
There is also a grease fitting on the pivot shaft that most times gets no grease. If you think you do not have power to the motor remove the two wires at the connector and check with a 12 volt test light across the two wires. You should have light when the switch is pushed either way.

Start at one end of the electrical and move through.

Switch. 12 volt coming in from the ignition switch. Ground at switch
Motor wire connections   12 volt at connection
remove motor check brushes and motor arm and magnets
Check cable and belt.

Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

jaciausa

Thanks, It was the cable, for one of the problems. It had thrown the breaker also. I found my manual to locate the fuses. I removed the complete unit. I suppose I need it tested on the bench. Not sure on how to check this. At this time, I think I will leave it off until I find a  helper. At least I got to test the new drive belt and bearing kit before this problem.

Magicman

I removed my board return many years ago.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on June 07, 2015, 09:35:08 PM

I didn't order one, instead, hired one.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Chuck White

There was a home-made board return on my mill when I got it, and it really worked quite well, but it took up too much room and was seldom used, so now it hangs on a nail on the garage wall.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kipper

I have almost pulled the trigger to buy one a few times but I think I have to now since my off bearer is moving to FL....

Having a comand center at the end of the mill is what's driving me to get one, hoping to set the material flow up better than having to walk around the command center to unload the boards.

We'll see!!
LT40HD, Cat Diesel
New Holland L783
Kubota BX23
Metavic 1400XL
2016 Dodge 3500
2007 Dodge 3500 (Dump)
Belsaw 802 Edger
Too many trailers to count and all Stihl Saws!!

terrifictimbersllc

I stopped using the board return with customers tailing.  Just seems too dangerous.
I very seldom saw alone. And the board return warnings say don't use it when sawing alone.  But that's when I want to use it. 
I've had it off at times and liked the extra depth of cut.
My mill is a 2001 and has a heavy board return table in storage at the back of the mill.  I have to lift it out and set it aside, on most setups.  Sometimes I forget it at the customer's place.  This doesn't bother me that much.  :D
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Brucer

I've had to replace that little cable a couple of times. Never a problem with the motor. Make sure you grease the hinge pin regularly.

Quote from: Magicman on June 07, 2015, 09:35:08 PM

And I added one many years ago (2007 to be exact) :D. What works best for one person doesn't necessarily work best for someone else.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Nomad

I had a problem with mine staying down too, a couple of months ago.  Turned out one of the motor brushes had gotten stuck.  Took it apart, cleaned it, put it back together...  Problem solved.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Thank You Sponsors!